Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Clunk noise from rear passenger side..!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk noise from rear passenger side..!!!

I have a weird clunk noise from the rear, it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. I just put in Strano springs, sway bars, Koni's single adjustable, UMI LCA's. It sounds almost like a binding noise..!!! I'm thinking its the PHB cuz all the bushings are cracked and its the only part still stock. I did tighten the suspension with a load on it and everything is grease up and lubed. It happens on bumbs usually around 30 to 50 mph, it will happen at slower speeds as well and when I make a right turn.. The rear-end is rebuilt with new internals. car has about 77k on it..

some one help him with this annoying sound..!!

So I can start having fun with my new setup..
Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I removed my rubber isolators from the top of the rear springs, I got a clunk sometimes too. I don't have any bushings anymore, and it only does it rarely, sometimes around a corner. I've looked over everything and it all looks good. I think we just need to get under there and start going over everything with a fine toothed comb to weed out whatever is making these noises. My car is in the air right now to fix my e-brake so I might as well start hunting.

I'll let you know if I figure mine out. Let us know if you do the same.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Launching!

When I pit my lca's in I did not torque them enough and there was a little play from different size bolts and sleeves. I put bigger bolts in and torqued them down properly and no more problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
When I removed my rubber isolators from the top of the rear springs, I got a clunk sometimes too. I don't have any bushings anymore, and it only does it rarely, sometimes around a corner. I've looked over everything and it all looks good. I think we just need to get under there and start going over everything with a fine toothed comb to weed out whatever is making these noises. My car is in the air right now to fix my e-brake so I might as well start hunting.

I'll let you know if I figure mine out. Let us know if you do the same.
I still have the rubber isolators in... and the Popping/clunking noise doesn't sound like its the springs or shocks. Those parts are new and I had a buddy press down really hard on the rear and it would not make a noise.. So I know its not the shocks or springs.. good luck with yours bud...
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man. Mine wont clunk if I rock the ***-end up and down hard, either. It only does it once in a while. good luck to you too
Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by knappbunch
When I pit my lca's in I did not torque them enough and there was a little play from different size bolts and sleeves. I put bigger bolts in and torqued them down properly and no more problem.
It's not the LCA's for sure cause it was still making the noise on stock LCA's and even with the new one's in it still makes a noise. I also torque everything to spec while the suspension was loaded. Well I'm having it Dyno tuned today so maybe the shop can find out whats wrong with it.. I'm still leading toward the PHB bushings being all cracked tho... And it also makes the noise when you make a right turn..
Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

thanks man. Mine wont clunk if I rock the ***-end up and down hard, either. It only does it once in a while. good luck to you too
sounds like we almost have the same problem... LOL... how does your bushings look on your PHB/LCA's?? Mine does it while i'm driving or if I put the car on jack stands and let the rear drop (unloaded) then it makes the popping noise too..??
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine will randomly make that "dink" noise when I'm jacking it up and lowering it. The only bushing I have is on the car side of the PHB, and its new looking. Yours sounds worn and overtightened. If theres slack in there it will probably make clunks.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

Mine will randomly make that "dink" noise when I'm jacking it up and lowering it. The only bushing I have is on the car side of the PHB, and its new looking. Yours sounds worn and overtightened. If theres slack in there it will probably make clunks.
Is your car lowered?? My buddy said it was the exhaust heat shield hitting the car thats what makes that noise.. he drove it over to the dyno shop and said he duplicated the noise by jumping up and down on it..!!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above! I would make sure all of the hardware is tightened. And it is a possibility that not only the bushing is bad but also the sleeve as well that is making the clunking noise. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Default Problem Found..!!!

Update guys I found the problem... It ended up being the parking brake cable bracket the one by the PHB. It was rubbing against the bracket there so anyone with the same prob might wanna check that..

Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. It was the LCAs. I used a bolt that was too small.

Quick Reply: Clunk noise from rear passenger side..!!!