Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New turbo for X-mas

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New turbo for X-mas

Just ordered my T-netics TC78 from Jose over @ Forced Inductions, very nice guys over there and extremely knowledgeable. I was unsure of A/R size for the turbine and Jose went down the modifications list with me to help me select the best possible A/R for my goals. Plans are for a daily drivable 140 mph trapping street car in my '98 built 370" T/A, here in sunny South FL. I'm anxious, I can't wait to see how much harder the car pulls with the TC78 compared to the much older and smaller T67.

Anything I should know about while I'm swapping the turbo's? I'm going from an undivided .81 a/r T4, to a divided 1.15 a/r T4. They are both oil cooled and both are journal bearing. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice.
Where in SoFla are you?

Have any plans for the old 76? I have a Mustang buddy that would be interested if you want to let it go. Lemme know.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Launching!

I'm in the South Miami area Mike. The old turbo is a T67 not a 76, the compressor wheel is contacting something as it spins, so it must be rebuilt. I decided to buy a new turbo with warranty rather than spend a few hundred bucks trying to fix this old T67. I may decide to have the T67 fixed later on for a project vehicle. In case it doesn't get fixed, I have a local buddy who would love to buy my damaged T67, fix it and put it on his RX7.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your setup front mount or rear STS style ?

The 1.15ar was a good move for a 370, I have a 1.32ar TC78 on my 383 and it still spools plenty fast enough.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't Santa a great guy LOL Couldnt ask for a better present IMO LOL
Good luck with your build! Santa brought me brand new CCW 505 a's last year for X mas LOL (I love the guy!)
Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johnv
Is your setup front mount or rear STS style ?

The 1.15ar was a good move for a 370, I have a 1.32ar TC78 on my 383 and it still spools plenty fast enough.
My set-up is rearmount, I was also eying that 1.32a/r but Jose @ F.I. assured me I will be ok with 1.15a/r.

Originally Posted by barnat
Isn't Santa a great guy LOL Couldnt ask for a better present IMO LOL
Good luck with your build! Santa brought me brand new CCW 505 a's last year for X mas LOL (I love the guy!)
Yea, great gift but Santa raped my bank account in the process. Thanks, I see Santa thought you were a good boy last year. Should have some results posted shortly after I mount it when Mr. Formato comes back to South FL.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omore001
My set-up is rearmount, I was also eying that 1.32a/r but Jose @ F.I. assured me I will be ok with 1.15a/r.

Yea, great gift but Santa raped my bank account in the process. Thanks, I see Santa thought you were a good boy last year. Should have some results posted shortly after I mount it when Mr. Formato comes back to South FL.
Im waiting on him as well LOL as he needs to tweek my tune just a bit for these bigger LG turbos for my APS that Santa brought for me alittle early this year LOL Im still wondering how he's going to get any more HP out of my ride when the tires were (still) breaking loose on his dyno at my 633rwhp?Im guessing it had to be more like 650 rwhp if the tires were STILL breaking loose? Plus,,,we couldnt have put any more straps on the rear end if we wanted to
I was and am still running the Nitto DR's (305/35/R18's) and am wondering if a set of slicks may help with this or not?There pretty dam wide as it is and really dought im going to get any wider of a tire on without fender rolling which im not going to do (Have you been to his dyno yet?)

Last edited by barnat; 12-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

selling the old one? how much?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Im waiting on him as well LOL as he needs to tweek my tune just a bit for these bigger LG turbos for my APS that Santa brought for me alittle early this year LOL Im still wondering how he's going to get any more HP out of my ride when the tires were (still) breaking loose on his dyno at my 633rwhp?Im guessing it had to be more like 650 rwhp if the tires were STILL breaking loose? Plus,,,we couldnt have put any more straps on the rear end if we wanted to
I was and am still running the Nitto DR's (305/35/R18's) and am wondering if a set of slicks may help with this or not?There pretty dam wide as it is and really dought im going to get any wider of a tire on without fender rolling which im not going to do (Have you been to his dyno yet?)
I went to the dyno here in Davie, FL which is a dyno jet. I didn't break loose on the dyno but my dying T67 was doing me nothing for power so the car may as well been running all motor with a clogged exhaust. Yea you are making some good power and I wouldn't doubt that set-up of yours spinning those tires at all. If you break loose again, SIT IN THE TRUNK WITH THE HATCH OPEN WITH A BUDDY NEXT SESSION. That is what I'm gonna do if I spin, I saw this done to a TT C5Z that was getting tire spin and with the added weight of 2 people in the trunk, they were able to minimize or eliminate breaking loose.

Originally Posted by Ping King
selling the old one? how much?
I'm not sure yet, I'll part with it if I get a reasonable offer. Otherwise it is getting rebuilt and going to a future project.

Last edited by omore001; 12-13-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to the dyno here in Davie, FL which is a dyno jet. I didn't break loose on the dyno but my dying T67 was doing me nothing for power so the car may as well been running all motor with a clogged exhaust. Yea you are making some good power and I wouldn't doubt that set-up of yours spinning those tires at all. If you break loose again, SIT IN THE TRUNK WITH THE HATCH OPEN WITH A BUDDY NEXT SESSION. That is what I'm gonna do if I spin, I saw this done to a TT C5Z that was getting tire spin and with the added weight of 2 people in the truck, they were able to minimize or eliminate breaking loose.

I'm not sure yet, I'll part with it if I get a reasonable offer. Otherwise it is getting rebuilt and going to a future project.
I just talked with a buddy of mine who knows his **** so to speak and suggested to me,,letting the air out of the tires while its on the rollers then strapping the rear down tight then refilling the tires Made alot of sence to me! I dont know of any buddys that would feel comfortable sitting on the back of my ride either while its on the dyno LOLTheyve watched to many u tube videos of them coming loose so to speak while being dynoed LOL
Old 12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went to the dyno here in Davie, FL which is a dyno jet. I didn't break loose on the dyno but my dying T67 was doing me nothing for power so the car may as well been running all motor with a clogged exhaust. Yea you are making some good power and I wouldn't doubt that set-up of yours spinning those tires at all. If you break loose again, SIT IN THE TRUNK WITH THE HATCH OPEN WITH A BUDDY NEXT SESSION. That is what I'm gonna do if I spin, I saw this done to a TT C5Z that was getting tire spin and with the added weight of 2 people in the truck, they were able to minimize or eliminate breaking loose.

what would be reasonable?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I just talked with a buddy of mine who knows his **** so to speak and suggested to me,,letting the air out of the tires while its on the rollers then strapping the rear down tight then refilling the tires Made alot of sence to me! I dont know of any buddys that would feel comfortable sitting on the back of my ride either while its on the dyno LOLTheyve watched to many u tube videos of them coming loose so to speak while being dynoed LOL
Damn, non of your friends would sit in your trunk drinking a beer while you and Jeremy go WOT over and over? LOL, you need some friends Make sure they have a beer and I'm sure they will feel comfortable in the trunk.

Originally Posted by Ping King
what would be reasonable?
What is it worth to you? PM me with reasonable offer.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I finally got some pics of the new turbo. I apologize for the delay as I have been having some account issues due to some douche-bag moderator that keeps trying to ban me even though I follow all the forum rules.

I would like to thank Turbonetics for their excellent packaging services. This package came in great condition, looked like it could take a beating and not get damaged.

All comments and questions on turbo are welcome, once again sorry for the delay guys and enjoy...

[IMG][/IMG]
...turbine

[IMG][/IMG]
...compressor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
...next to my size 14 sneaker

[IMG][/IMG]
1.15A/R

[IMG][/IMG]
...all wrapped up

[IMG][/IMG]
...in it's box

Last edited by omore01; 12-22-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez...size 14.....lol. It would make a GT47 look small.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Teching In

LOL! Yeah, and shopping for a decent pair of shoes (14) is always a mission. Anyway, thanks again for the great business, and happy holidays to all at Forced Inductions. By the way, that silicone reducer you guys set me up with is a strong looking piece. Going to try to mount it over the Christmas weekend, can't wait to hear this one spool up.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great man, I'm curious to hear more about your gains. What heads/cam/intake are you running on the 370? M6 or auto?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Photochop
Looks great man, I'm curious to hear more about your gains. What heads/cam/intake are you running on the 370? M6 or auto?
Thanks, I'm also curious on the gains. I'm on a stalled auto right now, I have unported 317 heads with dual valve springs and currently using the EPP forced induction cam, intake is just a big K&N filter with a short pipe that connects to the compressor. I'll probably start a thread after the tuner gets done with it. I know my hp numbers wont be very high due to the stalled auto, I wasn't looking for a dyno queen either. I just want some 140+mph traps at the strip for now and maybe make some 600 crotch rockets look bad on the 70-140 sprint. I'll worry about E.T.'s once the rear is upgraded and i throw some Mickeys on.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good. Sorry, I meant which intake manifold.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned Village Idiot

bad *** x-mas gift!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Photochop
Sounds good. Sorry, I meant which intake manifold.
Gotcha, LS6 manifold.

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
bad *** x-mas gift!!!!!!
Thanks

Quick Reply: New turbo for X-mas