Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wot switch wont engage (pics inside) !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wot switch wont engage (pics inside) !!

Check out the carnage! On a small hit, burped off the T-brake and went off like a friggen bomb. I was hittin it with around 400 weekend before and i leaned out so i changed the plugs and thought all was good was i wrong, I believe i bent a valve that weekend that trigger the backfire.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea it was clean the fire baked on the fire extuingshier powder on it. It stayed on fire for bout 3 min till they could get it out. It did make a decent pass before this happened on a 125 hit 1.35 60' 6.28 at 111.5
Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Looks like it cracked the windshield and dented the cowl too? Biggest thing is at least you and everyone else walked away.

Nick
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Do you think this would have happened if this was a ls6/ls1 intake? Looks like you have the fast on the car? I remember fireballs back fire wot on the dyno. He tore some stuff apart but the intake was still intack and no fire. What fed the fire to your car? was it the indep. fuel cell/pump or from the rail? did the n20 feed the fire?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the fuel from the rails when it blew the injectors out of the socket it was pouring in wide open.

yes it even blew the wiper arms apart and dented the cowl up bout two inches.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

holy crap !
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

No fun. Have you found out if the valve is the only internal damage?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=U-Luze;12622689] I was hittin it with around 400 weekend before

Are you saying that you hit the motor, with a 400 shot the weekend before thru that plate setup that is seen there?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Originally Posted by U-Luze
I was hittin it with around 400 weekend before

Are you saying that you hit the motor, with a 400 shot the weekend before thru that plate setup that is seen there?
I would hope not. Interesting to see 82 and 48 written on the throttle body corresponding to the n/f on the plate. I wonder if those were the jet sizes in there at the time?

Nick
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea usually has 88/57 plus the nano it may not equal up to 400 but picked up 367rwhp on the dyno.(biggest shot i run on single stage) Had 62/38 jet in there from above what happened. It is actually lil rich and safe according to the plug readings just didnt know what actually happened but BOOM! I run the nitrous enrichment tank with c-16 so i dont believe it was lean and EPP did the speed density tune. Brent pulled out 9* in the extended air flow chart. Id really like to hear some of your ideas.

I dont know if i have any internal damage as of yet, i did this damage a month
ago just now getting around to getting the car back to my house. I was discussed so i haven't really had the desire to mess with it.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

man do i hate seeing this kind of stuff happen!!!

always scares the crap outa me!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Race your car!

I pretty much can tell you what happened.. you probably did some decent damage to that motor when you were hitting it with the bigger shot the week before, bent a valve, or who knows what, and it came back to bite you.

Those plates like that CAN NOT EVENLY DISTRIBUTE THAT MUCH NITROUS, PERIOD.

I run the Nos plate, and I can tell you, trying to put 250, nevermind 367 rwhp worth thru one is absolutely nuts. There is absolutely no chance that is distributing right, simply due to the plenum being over a foot long and the runners being placed along a foot of distance fron one to another.

You probably did a number on the motor the week before and don't even realize it, went to spray it again, and presto, explosion.

I will never understand why, anyone tries to put that much power to one of these motors, that still has a stock style intake on it without a directport. It's a recipe for what just happened.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, That sucks. I would be interseted to see exactly why that happened.

A 82 jet is around a 225 shot and a 62 jet is usualy around 150 shot. Thats crazy that your car picked up 367 HP on that jetting.. Now I have seen many motors work so effeciantly with Nitrous that they made higher gains than normal.

I would be interested in seeing what exactly set off this chain of event. Ofcourse at this point it will only be speculation as there is no way to tell for sure.

If you zaped a plug the weekend before you may have hurt a piston at that time. There will be people to claim its a distribution issue as seen above and that may be a possibility. Reading the plugs as you go up in the horse power level will tell you.

That is one factor but truth been known there are many others as well.

Such as timming, plug choice, fuel delivery, airfuel, detonation from lifting the head etc..

My question is on the pass where you hurt the piston what were your tuning methods and what was the spark plug, total timming, airfuel, and fuel pressure?

As to the pass where it backfired. Why did the car stumble? Was it a fuel delivery issue causing the car to lean out and pop? Maybe there is a fueling issue keeping up with the sudden demand.. Just something to check..

Were you using a windowswitch to keep the car from spraying when it bogged and droped RPM?

Sorry to see these results.. Please answer my questions..
Dave

Last edited by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet; 12-17-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I pretty much can tell you what happened.. you probably did some decent damage to that motor when you were hitting it with the bigger shot the week before, bent a valve, or who knows what, and it came back to bite you.

I run the Nos plate, and I can tell you, trying to put 250, nevermind 367 rwhp worth thru one is absolutely nuts. There is absolutely no chance that is distributing right, simply due to the plenum being over a foot long and the runners being placed along a foot of distance fron one to another.

You probably did a number on the motor the week before and don't even realize it, went to spray it again, and presto, explosion.

I will never understand why, anyone tries to put that much power to one of these motors, that still has a stock style intake on it without a directport. It's a recipe for what just happened.

A NOS plate might not work on big shots but nitrous outlets plates will. I had problems on a car with a NOS plate at 250hp, changed only to nitrous outlet plate and it worked fine. There are several people, dealers, customers of nitrous outlet that I know personally that have and still spray big shots (200-400)through nitrous outlet plates without problems.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JL,
Everyone is intitled to there own opinion on how much to spray through the front of the intake. I totaly aggree that the best option above 250 is a directport but that does not mean our plate can not support this hp level when tuned correctly..

I do disagree that there is a distribution issue with our plate at 250 HP. I have personally tuned many cars with our plates at 250 hp. I have also tuned one or two at 300hp...

I have also walked many customers through the tunning process on the phone shooting much more than 250 with our plate. I have a street racer that used our plate for 400 hp for years. He was taking money every weekend.

The issue with these large horse power levels is that you have to be up on the tune up and you have to have the ability to read the spark plugs in order to determain when you have hit the point of distribution issues. Not everyone has the talent to do this. It is not a fault of the product. Its a simple fact that the cylinders are going to pull the mixture in however it chooses. With introducing the discharge before the intake all you can do is use the tuning process to know when enough is enough.. Even with a directport you still need to understand this same tuning process. The only difference is with a directport if you see a cylinder burning differently you can fine tune that cylinder.

It is a known fact that every engine combination and the flow charastics will vary. Every application acts differently. What you may be able to do with one motor you may not be able to do with the next.

So is a directport a better option.. Well sure it is.. But its not the only option.. Our plate can, has and will continue to provide big numbers for people that a directport is not an option.. Its up to the customer to tune it and listen to the motor by watching the plugs..

I am sure this guy knew he was pushing it if the car was picking up 367HP.. Damn Thats alot even with a directport..

Not busting your *****... But have you taken our plate and personally watched the plugs and tuned a car at these hp levels? If not you should give it a try before saying it cant do it.. Our plate works..

Dave
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

wow..look glad you ok..but at least the plate is still intact
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dave the pass i messed up weekend before it never really hurt the plugs it just popped a couple times i shut it down and was done. I changed the plugs and they was wet. back two on drivers side and third back on pass side was wet, but i dont think it was the point of fouling. I really messed it up when i first got it togther and melted 6 of the plugs down to the base of the plug and event popped the ceramic off the plug! I was useing a Tr-6 plug then and trying to spray too much with the nano and bout wiped the motor out but changed the plugs and ran fine. I did that twice till i got some help from Patrick Barnhill and he got me lined out.
On the pass weekend before I believe Brent(EPP) has the total timeing at 28* It has a custom operating system so i dont know much about the computer. Hes got it setup to pull 9* out with the extend airflow. Fuel delivery is a dedicated cell with a high pressure spring in the regulator. pressure is set at 46 psi. Plugs are NGK R5671a-8. Ive been running these plugs for about a year now and never a burnt plug after Patrick got my nitrous setup workin right.
Pass the weekend it blowed up everything is the same Afr is 10.5-11. Made one pass it was fine, makeing the second and last the 2 step is set at 3500, the nitrous,2 step, and t brake are all wired in to a relay and nitrous wont come on till the t-brake is disengauged. It doesnt bog or anything when i let off the button. just moves out. Hope this can anwser ur questions Thanks Justin
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Race your car!

Dave, I've have a little exp with these cars, and pretty much every plate out there, and I can safely say, that anything over 200, and you're not getting every plug to look the same, I don't care who says they ran what.

You're saying it yourself, if someone wants to run over 250 this isn't what you would reccommend... if that's the case, then why even advertise the plate will flow more then 250.. that to me, is like handing a kid a stick of dynamite, and sitting back and watching to see what happens next.

I absolutely refuse to belive anyone is actually hitting a car with 300 to 400 thru one of these plates with no issues.

But then again, you listen to people on here and they'll tell you a tr6 plug is fine with a 250 shot, 28 degrees of timing, pump gas and 11.5 to 1 compression from their milled stock heads.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
8 Second Club

400 threw that plate ur crazy.... im willing to bet u pull the heads off the damage ur going to find the damage you did last week... now way in hell would i run anything more then a 200 hit with that plate 200 is asking for trouble in my opinion
Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I absolutely refuse to belive anyone is actually hitting a car with 300 to 400 thru one of these plates with no issues.

Why would they lie about it, what do they have to gain? The people and shops I know that are spraying 300-400 through daves plates dont even post about it, most arent even on tech. No one is saying its easy, or that every plug is 100% exactly the same but with the right tune and plugs it can be done without burning up plugs or cylinders.

Quick Reply: Wot switch wont engage (pics inside) !!