Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting Advice on cam/spring choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting Advice on cam/spring choice

Alright, I come from the W-body world, and i'm picking up my 98 WS6 on Monday.

I am doing few things first, pacesetter LT's and ORY, and LS6 intake. The cam I have chosen in the MS3. I want this car streetable... I mean I had a cam in my GTP for over 2 years, driven 400mi a week, and it doesn't bother me. I may step down to a tad smaller cam, but thats still up for debate. I would need to upgrade my springs, and timing chain. I want to add an oil pump, and aftermarket stonger chain while I'm in there. I know the ramp rate, and heavier springs would put a strain on the stock parts.

For what it's worth, i'm looking to put 400-450whp on the M6, and i'll do the tune myself, have HP tuners

So what chain and springs do you reccomend. For the winter, this car will stay A4, and will get a M6 conversion before any cam for sure. Hate the auto, but got the car for a price I couldn't deny.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS2 timing chain, LS7 lifters, PRC Springs, you can make the MS3 streetable on an M6 but its still debatable, I would look into somthing a little smaller if your going for streetablility, maybe a torquer or something custom.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense.. But chances are you won't be able to make that cam streetable.. I would look into a custom 230/232ish .600 112.. Should be fairly easy to tune and will put you over your 400Rwhp mark with bolt ons.. Heads will put you well over that. That is a very large cam and will be difficult to tune.

I think you should put a converter in the A4... Might just change your mind about A4s!

How much do you have to spend on intake/heads/exhaust/etc?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Agreed.. I knew that cam was a bit large. I am used to big cams, but the cams made for the ls engines are alot more agressive than the 3800 supercharged. Along with the power i am wanting, i am looking for an agressive idle, as this car is going to be an eye turner.

So for a larger cam like this or slightly smaller, i wouldn't need like a double roller?

And if I were building a heavy track car, i would go A4, but I want the joy of the M6. I already have a track car, but i hate auto's. I am also going to add 4.10 gears along with the M6 and cam.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Teching In

The cheaper the better on the heads/cam. However, i'll spend whatever i need to make the setup right. I am thinking of having our porter do a set of LS6 heads, then cam, springs, pushrods, roller rockers, and double roller chain.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleLS1
Agreed.. I knew that cam was a bit large. I am used to big cams, but the cams made for the ls engines are alot more agressive than the 3800 supercharged. Along with the power i am wanting, i am looking for an agressive idle, as this car is going to be an eye turner.

So for a larger cam like this or slightly smaller, i wouldn't need like a double roller?

And if I were building a heavy track car, i would go A4, but I want the joy of the M6. I already have a track car, but i hate auto's. I am also going to add 4.10 gears along with the M6 and cam.
If you are trying to go cheap.. Skip on the rockers and you don't need a double roller.. I ran an ms4 with an ls2 timing chain for 15k hard miles and never had one problem out of it. 116k when I sold it.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Alright, sounds good.

In 3800 supercharged land, even for the smallest cam they recommend a JP single roller.

One thing icant stand is noisy valvetrain, some noise is expected, but should i upgrade or just replace my lifters?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Alright, sounds good.

In 3800 supercharged land, even for the smallest cam they recommend a JP single roller.

One thing icant stand is noisy valvetrain, some noise is expected, but should i upgrade or just replace my lifters?
I kept stock lifters.. Its all preference though I suppose.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, sounds good.

If you can't stand a noisy valvetrain and LS1 isn't for you. They always sound like a sowing machine and only gets worse with more lift.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Sewing machine is fine, like a well tuned piece of machinery.

Valve train that sounds like deflated lifters with no oil, isn't. From inside the car, I can hear every single one of my lifters. They are all new, but since I do not have adjustable rockers, my valve lash isn't tight enough. Lifters can only absorb so much before they are at their extent.

Would adjustable rockers be a good upgrade? I intend on spending money in the right places on this car.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have incorrect pushrod length......
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Teching In

That is the conclusion I have came to, but this type of lifter noise is normal in the 3800's. I have 4-5k miles on this cam set-up, and made several low 12 second passes.

Anywho, picked up my WS6 last night. All I can say is love at first sight.