Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 95 S10 Nitrious 5.3 Drag Truck project....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 95 S10 Nitrious 5.3 Drag Truck project....

Well I figured I might as well start a build thread as I'm finally making some progress on the truck.

Truck started off as a 4cyl auto basic s10 that i picked up for $550 bucks, drove it home and pulled the motor and tranny out of there within the weekend. Ever since then ive been working on tearing it down to nothing and cutting everything out i can as my goal for this truck is to have it weigh under 3000#'s with me in it (around 160 myself).

The truck will is completely gutted right now and will have an 8pt cage, two plastic race seats, aluminum dash and door panels and all that fun race car stuff. Everything i can cut out of the truck will be cut out. I plan on cutting out as much excess metal from the bed as i can and anywhere else possible.

Drivetrain will be a 5.3 that I'm picking up this weekend cortesy of MeanYellowZ on the board here sourcing me out one. Its a 2000 5.3 with around 90k on the clock that I plan on sticking a cam and valve springs in along with running an ls1 intake and throttle body. Only acc will be the water pump and alt. May end up putting some rod bolts in it for some extra insurance and I plan on hitting it with nitrious every time i go to the track which could be 3-4 times a month. Behind the 5.3 will be a th400 i'm gettin localy rebuilt with around a 4000ish stall, not positive on how big i want to go, so opinions are welcome on that... rear end will be the stock ten bolt with the spider gears welded up, a 3.73 or 4.10 gear depending on what the nitrious likes, and stronger ARP wheel studs.

Like I said this is a budget truck as i just want something to be able to beat the hell out of every weekend and wanted to take on an ls swap project...

Fuel system will be a sumped fuel cell, an inline 255lph pump, -6 feed and return line with a corvette filter/reg combo that i picked up locally from www.carshopinc.com . I'm not sure on what injectors ill be running but more than likely some OEM injector. I plan on after i get the truck running as a cam only truck putting together a nice nitrious set up with a stand alone fuel system. Will probably end up and a plate kit from Nitrious Outlet, and maybe piecing together my own stand alone system.

I think i've covered the majority of the build here. I know i will owe alot of thanks to MeanYellowZ as he is local and has given me lots of advice on the swap and carshopinc as i will be running their motor mounts and will be purchasing the majority of parts needed from them...

Let me know what you think of my build and I will post more pictures as I make more progress...
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

some more crappy blackberry pictures as it sits right now...

Front clip off ready to for a motor to be dropped in...

Interior completely gutted besides the stock steering wheel that will be replace with a grant...

Started on the roll cage, Main hoop/crossbar tacked in...

Got some parts for christmas but they're nothing exciting, corvette filter/reg, fittings, car shop inc motor mounts and some autometer gauges...

More pics as more progress is made...
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might want to reconsider the rear axle plans. A mini-spool would be much better than welding the spiders. Better yet, try and source a complete new rearend.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I might try to source out a mini spool.... Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allstar, we can get you one cheap as we are a dealer. Project should be cool!!!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll keep you guys in mind when it comes to tear into the rear end, gonna get everything else done and get it running first. Thanks for the help though
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

i did something along the same lines but mine is a 89 body style and its full interior leather and all. It has a 224 cam with a carb intake and ported heads. turbo 350 with a 4k stall. 28 inch drag radials. its been done 2 weeks or so took the axles out last night and my mini spool will be here today and then i can really see what it will do. one wheel wonder wasnt good. but yeah i think its good for a mid 7 second truck on motor. if you have any questions pm me or just respond on here, if it could mess up it did with us. haha
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice gotta love fast S10/Blazers...Ford 8.8 is also a good cheap option for your build...
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Launching!

cool truck
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Nice gotta love fast S10/Blazers...Ford 8.8 is also a good cheap option for your build...
Ya i've thought about an 8.8 but then i would have to drop the cash to either get the axles re done for chevy bolt pattern or i would have to sell the pro-stars for some ford bolt pattern ones... We'll see how far i can go on the 10 bolt, I got a buddy that has a stock ten bolt with 4.10s in his s10 drag truck runnin low 12s and will prolly hit high 11's thats with a stock posi, axles and just a girdle...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

its like 40 bucks to have the axles/ discs redrilled for a chevy pattern you might want to reconsider...
but i would recommend building a 9"... now that ive gone through my 8.8 its been almost as much as building a 9" from the start but a lot more work.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Bigdaddydupree what converter are you using and what does it actually footbreak. I am running basically the same setup as you with a little bigger can and milled stock heads to get me at 11.1:1 cr. I am running a Jegs 2300-2700 stall and it will only footbreak 1600. I want to footbreak at least 3000.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation

[QUOTE=2XR95Z28;12699875] rear end will be the stock ten bolt with the spider gears welded up,

I would strongly advise against welding your spiders and sides!! I know its free and easy, but in the long run will break and be very dangerous!! Spools aren't that expensive. Hell I would at least run a mini spool before I would weld my sides and spiders!! Both full and mini are easy to install, and way more safe. I would strongly recommend a full spool. I know they cost a little money, but I don't think you can put a price on your life.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87LSX10
Bigdaddydupree what converter are you using and what does it actually footbreak. I am running basically the same setup as you with a little bigger can and milled stock heads to get me at 11.1:1 cr. I am running a Jegs 2300-2700 stall and it will only footbreak 1600. I want to footbreak at least 3000.
footbrake and stall speed at the hit are entirely different, my old converter flashed to 4200 but I could only footbrake 1800.

[QUOTE=ten5nova;12739705]
Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
rear end will be the stock ten bolt with the spider gears welded up,

I would strongly advise against welding your spiders and sides!! I know its free and easy, but in the long run will break and be very dangerous!! Spools aren't that expensive. Hell I would at least run a mini spool before I would weld my sides and spiders!! Both full and mini are easy to install, and way more safe. I would strongly recommend a full spool. I know they cost a little money, but I don't think you can put a price on your life.
mini spools are NOT meant for drag strip action they're meant for dirt oval racing, and are not any more of a safe idea compared to welding spider gears. Besides any kind of traction will be shearing off the ring and pinion teeth regardless.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, i will be doing the rear end last so it will all depend on what kinda money I have when the time comes, I have alot more to do before then...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i got the 5.3 this past weekend, gonna be working on cleaning it up and painting everything over the next couple weeks. I owe a big thanks to YatesEFI for hooking me up with a motor....

Here is a few pic just after unloading it out of the truck...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I got six just like it sitting at the new shop now....it's like a couple of my engines got together and had puppies
Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

mini spools are NOT meant for drag strip action they're meant for dirt oval racing, and are not any more of a safe idea compared to welding spider gears. Besides any kind of traction will be shearing off the ring and pinion teeth regardless.[/QUOTE]

Did you notice that I recommended that he run a FULL spool? I grew up at a dirt track, I know what a mini spool is for. I also know people who welded spider gears, and their welds broke and their diff locked up!!!! I know that a mini spool isn't for drag racing, and isn't the safest option. But if I had to choose between welded gears and a mini spool I would choose a mini spool all day!! Again, that's why I recommended using a full on spool!!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Little update, Got quite a bit purchased over this past week and will be buying more this coming weekend.

Got my th400 and have it at the local tranny shop gettin a rebuild and beefed up a bit, also ordered my 3800 stall which should be fun on the street Also picked up a the flex plate spacer brand new never used from a local for half the price of new.

A few other things i picked up are a brand new set of 918 valve springs for 90 bucks local.

Here are the gauges ill be using, they are Autometer Ultra-Lites-

Quick pic of the vette filter/reg and fittings-

I'll be using pushlock hose from the fuel cell to the pump then to the reg to save some cash and plan on using braided from the filter/reg up to the rails...

Also this weekend im pickin up an ls1 intake, throttle body, injectors and fuel rails for 90 bucks, which im preety stoked about....

Been working on gettin the motor all cleaned up and prepped to be painted, which will hopefully happen on friday... here is a few pics of it in the process of being cleaned...

Well that is all the goodies i have to share for now.... Will get more updates on here once i pick up the intake and all that, and get the tranny and convertor and may be doing some test fitting of the motor/tranny in the truck next weekend...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gonna be slow, Joe. haha jk. Let me know if you need anything else for the build. I may have some other stuff laying around. I don't even know what all I have, and where it is. My dad just reminded me that I have stuff out in our shed yesterday. lol

Quick Reply: My 95 S10 Nitrious 5.3 Drag Truck project....