Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handling

how can i make my 98 z28 handle better in the turns? should i start with shocks? what brand should i buy?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every tom, dick, and harry are gonna come in and tell you all the different shocks and springs they bought or their buddy has.

The most popular overall set up out right now is the Koni Shocks/struts, Strano springs, and strano sway bars. All very high quality parts and will completely change your car. And if you buy from Sam Strano, a sponser on this site, you get advice and tips from an SCCA national champion as well. Website is Stranoparts.com

Here is also an install video and ride and review of this set up if you want to see what's involved, minus the bars.

install...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...all_688318.htm

ride and review...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...and_689705.htm

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 01-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

from all i've gathered the koni/strano setup is going to handle the best out of any shock/spring combo... that's the route i'm going... koni hands down makes the best shock you can buy, i have had them on a few different cars and all with great results... the only downside is they are pricey but if you can fork out the cash for them they are well worth it and they come with a lifetime warranty and koni is pretty good about standing by it... the shocks by themselves is a good mod but i would wait until you get the springs also that way you don't do double work... you should plan on replacing your front strut mounts too because damn near everyone runs into the front nut being seized onto the mount... i'm just gonna buy new ones and new upper and lower spring isolators that way i can have the fronts fully assembled and just pull my old assembly out and pop the new one in, much easier imo
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes konis are great. i also had to have a mount replaced. what a difference they made.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just go with the Koni's and Strano sway bars. Lowering the car creates other problems like roll center and bump steer issues that has a neg effect that negates the lowering effect. unless you address these problems lowering just looks cool.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I noticed that you are looking into making the vehicle handle better. And other than your spring and shock combo I would highly suggest looking into a set of aftermarket sway bars. UMI Performance offers a 35mm front and a 22mm rear which will definitely stiffen up the body roll of the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...6obbrme7ksfi34

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Every tom, dick, and harry are gonna come in and tell you all the different shocks and springs they bought or their buddy has.

The most popular overall set up out right now is the Koni Shocks/struts, Strano springs, and strano sway bars. All very high quality parts and will completely change your car. And if you buy from Sam Strano, a sponser on this site, you get advice and tips from an SCCA national champion as well. Website is Stranoparts.com

Here is also an install video and ride and review of this set up if you want to see what's involved, minus the bars.

install...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...all_688318.htm

ride and review...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...and_689705.htm
what he said. the koni/strano was my first real handling mod, and it made SUCH a huge difference, what an awesome car now. Just from that alone
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight

Hello
That"s what I thought these forums were for is to get advice and opinions. A lot of people would spend a lot of money that they didn't need to if they listened to the first person (there might be a chance he has no idea what he's talking about) that gave them advice. But like mentioned above Sam is a Sponsor here and is full of a lot of great advice as well and he carries our products as well. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.

Thanks
Brad
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

while the shocks and springs made a HUGE improvement in my car's handling....it IS a very pricey route.

if you don't have that kind of budget, you can start with sway bars. they greatly improved my car's feel in curves compared to stock.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Yeah there is not much dispute in the high performance you'll get out of the Konis but they will cost you. Sam Strano is also good about customer service.
If your on a budget.. I'd highly recommend some Bilstein HD's ($365.00), Sam Strano's 35mm hollow sway bar ($199), Rear 1LE 21mm sway bar ($20), UMI LCA poly/rod control arms ($170). Or you can pick up a 32mm 1LE for $50 bucks and leave your stock 19in in the rear.
The lease expensive Koni's are over 800 bucks which is too much for me at this point so I went budget.

Bilstein HD's
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=763

Sway Bar 1LE
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

35mm Hollow Swaybar
http://www.stranoparts.com/

Poly/Rod end LCA
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...dex&cPath=6_83
Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahhh, "handling". The broad term everyone uses.... like wanting to feel "better".

Suspensions are packages, many parts working together much like heads, cam, intake, compression ratio, make for a good running engine.

I've got you covered on parts, and am more than happy to talk options with you. BUT, I'd need to you really think about what better handling means to you. What do you dislike about how the car handles (I have my ideas, but best you know...) so we can pick the parts that will help the most first! I am a UMI dealer and any parts that we might need that they have I can supply to you as well (and it won't cost you any more either).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

oh yeah...don't think its been mentioned...

all the suspension parts in the world won't do **** if you don't have the rubber to hold it to the ground.

so TIRES!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
That"s what I thought these forums were for is to get advice and opinions.
Thanks
Brad
Good point. I retract my tom, dick, and harry statement.