LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

not very happy with impala

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not very happy with impala

im not to happy with my car. Im not a big fan of the front wheel drive v8. Car doesnt have many miles and is falling apart. This is the second set of tires and they need to be replaced cause insides ate up, been aligned twice and still no good. The sway bar bushing were gone and just replaced it with poly ones and while in the air i found the wheel bearings have play. what is next. DONT get me wrong i love the power and drivabilty. prolly one of the most comfortable car i have drove and i love the sleeper affect. i tear mustangs up all day long. My question is do i keep it fix the problems or trade it in while the millage is under 30000. i am looking at a gto or trailblazer ss. I am affraid to mod caues i dont want to kill tranny. just wondering if anybody else has these problems.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

maybe I should get under there and check some of this stuff...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope none of this, only tranny problems like everyone else... hah
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

how musch does a good tranny cost to handle the power to maybe say 12 sec
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ting-slip.html

list of part... just add labor.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

I've got a great shop locally, quoted at $1250 for removal/install and rebuild by a GM tech.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, you guys are scaring me. I keep wanting to get rid of it and then she wins me back over in the end. I just had my friend drive my GXP while I followed in his GTP and she won me back over for now...for those of you with a downpipe and a cutout you really gotta have someone else drive your car so you can hear the bitch. I'm at almost 50k and my trans still hasn't gone, just the driver side bearing went out and the issue with the rear alignment.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

I've been wanting to hear my car from the outside.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

my tranny is fine at 81ish K miles, but the suspension (admittedly I am off-road in fields for probably 5K miles a year) is junk. Replaced tie-rod's, bushings, etc. more than once. My last ('95 rear drive) Impala/Caprice got one idler arm replaced in 238K miles and was solid as a rock. This one is squirmy and rattles.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I've been wanting to hear my car from the outside.
Same here, just don't want to let some one else drive it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i feel your pain, allot of problems with my gxp i say trade it in get the better vehicle
im hoping i can dump mine soon..........please!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm keeping mine for 10 years or 200,000 miles. My problems occured because people mess with things they shouldn't....I am partly guilty of that as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
I'm keeping mine for 10 years or 200,000 miles.
x2, although if gas gets to about $6 a gallon I will look at getting a different commuter car once this one is payed off.

For me, getting a FWD was almost necessary (winter), and getting a V8 thrown in was a bonus. But, if you don't like your car I'd recommend not modding it so that you can sell it easier and get something you do like.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the life of me I do not understand what everyones problem is with these cars being front drive. Can think of a 1,000 rear drive cars that drive like absolute crap and are hardly any fun. I've had front, rear, and all wheel; I do not have a preference. All I care about is if the car drives civily and can hold the road. These cars do that more than sufficiently and I feel very safe.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Count of Monte Carlo i agree they are good cars. Its all on a personal preference pretty much. Performance wise they are really really good cars. They are quick, fast, and can run with some of the big boys (Chargers, Mustangs, etc.) I just dont like the torque steer. That is my only problem with my impala ss. Other than that i mean it sounds good, performs good, and is everything you pretty much need in a performance car and a daily driver. Did i say sleeper? I really love when im at a stop light and there is a car on my right or left side and the dude thinks he's hot sh*t and he revs his car and all that. when the light turns green, its a wrap from there. Bottom line they are good and reliable cars.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

What's wrong with it being FWD? Try making a left into traffic on damp pavement; too much throttle and either TCS will kick in if you leave it on and it falls flat on its face. Turn TCS off and it either spins enough to understeer you off into the shoulder, the anti-score kicks in, or you just pull in too slow. On dry days of course its not as much of a problem as by now I can gauge how much throttle I can give to accelerate as fast as possible without spinning. We don't get rain too often around here so the few days that it does I suffer from the "throttle; fall flat on flace, more throttle to compensate slow acceleration; even more of a complete faceplant with traffic quickly approaching" haha! It is what it is; you can't beat it for the bang for the buck + room for 5 and 26mpg down the highway with the cruise at 80 and I've reached 150 so far pretty much stock. I just won't mod it; it's just a daily driver with umph for A to B driving, not a "performance" car. I do love my hoe though!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much all GM vehicles have the differential score protection program in them.

Any car that can reach 160, has disc brakes, bucket seats, and a HD suspension is a car of performance. If you want it to hold the road better, go buy some summer tires and polyurethane bushings for the stabilizers.

I dont feel any torque steer launching in a straight line. In fact I never had a car take off tires ablaze that was so smooth. With these cars however if you stomp on it with the wheel off center it will want to lead in that direction just slightly more so that it would with a rear drive.

If you hop on the throttle with a rear drive car in the rain you will definately move. You'll move the rear end of the car into the one next to yours. Preferance is one thing. But horsing around is another.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willybuck
im not to happy with my car. Im not a big fan of the front wheel drive v8. Car doesnt have many miles and is falling apart. This is the second set of tires and they need to be replaced cause insides ate up, been aligned twice and still no good. The sway bar bushing were gone and just replaced it with poly ones and while in the air i found the wheel bearings have play. what is next. DONT get me wrong i love the power and drivabilty. prolly one of the most comfortable car i have drove and i love the sleeper affect. i tear mustangs up all day long. My question is do i keep it fix the problems or trade it in while the millage is under 30000. i am looking at a gto or trailblazer ss. I am affraid to mod caues i dont want to kill tranny. just wondering if anybody else has these problems.
If you get a new car, try to get into the G8 over the GTO.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you favor the G8 GT over the GTO??
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love em all FWD,RWD,AWD as long as they R GM vehicles as long as they R not trash like ford im G.ood M.an