Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some AJE Fox K-Member Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Some AJE Fox K-Member Info

I emailed AJE to express my concern about the suitability of using their K-member on the street. Some of what I've read implies that the AJE unit is designed for straight line drag applications and would not hold up to the cornering forces experienced while driving on the street.

I received a reply that AJE has a "RR" version that is well suited for street applications. The following photo was labeled "old version mu3020rr," so I've emailed back to see what the differences are between the "old version" and the "new version."

Has anyone here used the "RR" version?

Tipsy

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an older one, Maybe 4 years now. About 30,000 street miles. Many potholes and stuff. Michigan road are aweful. No problems what so ever.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmracing
I have an older one, Maybe 4 years now. About 30,000 street miles. Many potholes and stuff. Michigan road are aweful. No problems what so ever.
That good to know! But there's obviously some difference between their standard offering and the RR version.

Tipsy
Old 01-26-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I didnt know they made two. Unless they make there new one and still offer there old one, too.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

If thats the case From what i see there is a difference of where the arms get bolted on. Mine, the bolt goes into a tube connecting the two arms. Where the new ones bave tabs on the inside of the arms. Other than that the only difference I seen was the barrel length where the mount bolt ons.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

double post

Last edited by Gray86hatch; 01-26-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Ok.

There have been some design changes. June 07 fine thread bolt and old stock style motor mount to course thread bolt and new motor mount.
Mid 08 tube for control arm replaced with a box. Outboard and bottom removed with tube braces supporting it just like previous designs. No tabs like other manufactures. It is a tab with support on two sides I guess.

The changes were made for a savings in cost and manufacture time.
I talked with aje in july this year at that time there were no changes.

I have put a bunch of miles on mine with no issues. Stood the car up at the track a few times. Normal street driving will not be a problem. Pot holes in all. If you are out cutting corners with it need to looking one built for road racing.

Tim
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dmracing
Yeah, I didnt know they made two. Unless they make there new one and still offer there old one, too.
Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
If you are out cutting corners with it need to looking one built for road racing.
As I understand it, AJE currently offers two K-members; MU-30UM and MU-30UMRR. I can only assume "RR" stands for "Road Racing." There is no mention of the RR on AJE's site (not that I can find) but from the terse email response I received, it appears the RR version must have some structural enhancements not found on the non-RR model.

Insofar as the picture being labeled "old version," I took that to mean that both the RR and non-RR model have been updated...probably what Gray86hatch describes above.

When I asked AJE what the differences are between the "old" and "new" version, they replied "The new version has the updates and advantages on our website. thats the difference."

Tipsy
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

The one pictured above is a pre July 07 been used for years never seen issues with them.

This is a post july 07 with the new style motor mounts and course thread bolt. I have a few hard landings on this one.

This a Mid 08 early 09 revision.

Looking at both I can see no issues with either set ups. Remember the load is not concertrated in 1 location. I have see k members bent from the rack hitting the pavment in a wheelstand but not the control arm mounts.

Tim
Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

The one pictured above is a pre July 07 been used for years never seen issues with them.
The picture I posted? If so, I received this picture directly from AJE...they said this is the RR model (but the photo was labeled "old version").

I've never seen any of these in person (old version, new version, RR, non-RR) so I have no idea how the RR is structurally different than the non-RR version.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 02-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

The pics on AJE site are the July 07 rev. I have this in my car. Not the newest version.

I can say that the post July 07 bolt and bushing design is much better that prior. Install is much better.

Tim
Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

The RR version has the diag tube from the cross tube to the control arm center. I just noticed it. The non RR versions don't have this. None of mine have had this and really dont feel it is needed unless autocrossing.

Once it is bolted in the car it becomes one structure.

Tim
Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

The pics on AJE site are the July 07 rev. I have this in my car. Not the newest version.

I can say that the post July 07 bolt and bushing design is much better that prior. Install is much better.

Tim
Can AJE be a bit more nebulous about this stuff? So you're saying the one they have pictured on their site doesn't reflect the current revision?

And they don't even mention the "RR" K-member on their site or indicate how if differs from the non-RR version.

Tipsy
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

The RR version has the diag tube from the cross tube to the control arm center. I just noticed it. The non RR versions don't have this. None of mine have had this and really dont feel it is needed unless autocrossing.

Once it is bolted in the car it becomes one structure.

Tim
Okay...I see that now.

To be honest, for the extra $50ish...I'll take the extra bracing and peace of mind.

Thanks very much for your input, Tim.

Tipsy
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think either will be fine for a normal street car. Just take a look at it real close everytime you change the oil for cracks and damage. I wouldn't put one on a car with any kind of decent front brake/tire though and expect it to live.....
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jw33
I wouldn't put one on a car with any kind of decent front brake/tire though and expect it to live.....
Can you elaborate on that, JW? Being an apartment dweller, it's been years since I last did any significant wrenching. But back in the day I was a GM kind-of-guy, so I'm not very familiar with the architecture of the Fords.

Are you implying that a wide front tire with a lot of grip (resistance) and strong brakes develops more stress than a tubular K-member can handle?

If that's what you're saying, your contention is why I emailed AJE in the first place. They replied explaining that their "RR" K-member was designed with this in mind.

Tipsy
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if you were to put a decent tire and a set of brakes that work good on the front end who knows what it would do. A lot of guys run down the road with skinny tires and you aren't going to get enough grip to stress out anything that way so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jw33
Yeah if you were to put a decent tire and a set of brakes that work good on the front end who knows what it would do. A lot of guys run down the road with skinny tires and you aren't going to get enough grip to stress out anything that way so I wouldn't worry too much.
Definitely no skinnies in my future. More than likely 17X8's all the way around or possibly 17X9's in the rear.

Probably do a straight-up SN95 five lug/disc conversion or possibly Cobra brakes.

Like I said, for peace-of-mind, I'll likely go with the "RR" version.

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Some AJE Fox K-Member Info