Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand Alone....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stand Alone....

So im a click or 2 away from ordering the GMPP LS3 crate motor stand alone wiring harness for my project truck, and I wanted to ask the crowd before i made my purchase. It seems to me this is probably the best set up for the money, since its OEM equipment for the motor, and its very complete. But I just feel like im missing something? Generally factory equipment seems to be a lot more expensive than aftermarket parts, but this kit from GMPP seems to be one of the best deals around. Is there another manufacturer on here that sells a kit thats comparable in quality, and is as complete for a better deal?

GM kit
https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...umber=19201861

also, does anyone know if this kit has the output for the e-fans etc like a factory computer from a vehicle would?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running a stick or automatic, I don't think it has any tranny control
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

I was looking at the GMPP controller also but it has some stuff missing...no A/C control, no cruise, no transmission control. It does control the fan. Now I have moved on and gotten my hands on a truck motor, controller and harness. I think it will have more flexibility. Having said that, the GMPP controller works well if all you want is basic engine control.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Im going to be running a th-350, no a/c and had no intention for CC so that seems okay to me. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
Im going to be running a th-350, no a/c and had no intention for CC so that seems okay to me. Thanks for the input!
Make suire whe ever does your tuning is going to be able to tune that PCM
Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

How much is it? I was also wonder about the tuneability, does it have an obdII port?

My wife just built an entire harness for my old pickup for $100. She said it wasn't that hard. It is set up to run speed density for a boosted 5.3 and
4l80e as well. I bought the computer & harness from a 2000 sierra 5.3 at the wrecking yard.

It was time consuming, she had to lengthen & shorten quite a few wires so i could mount the PCM behind the seats. Maybe you wouldn't want to mess with all those wires.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

its about $800. I have kicked around the idea of modifying a stock harness as well, just not sure if its something I want to tackle yet
Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by code4
.............My wife just built an entire harness for my old pickup for $100. She said it wasn't that hard.
Holy moly! I want one of those too.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

since this thread is already up, I have another question to throw out to see if someone can answer; my motor is a 2006 or 2007 L92 that I eliminated the VVT on. Is there any major difference I am looking at that would prohibit the use of an LS3 set up or cause complications? and can someone post a pic of a TAC module so I actually know WTF it is... thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you get rid of the vvt the gm controller will be fine... it will not work with vvt,,the harness wont..
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
So im a click or 2 away from ordering the GMPP LS3 crate motor stand alone wiring harness for my project truck, and I wanted to ask the crowd before i made my purchase. It seems to me this is probably the best set up for the money, since its OEM equipment for the motor, and its very complete. But I just feel like im missing something? Generally factory equipment seems to be a lot more expensive than aftermarket parts, but this kit from GMPP seems to be one of the best deals around. Is there another manufacturer on here that sells a kit thats comparable in quality, and is as complete for a better deal?

GM kit
https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...umber=19201861

also, does anyone know if this kit has the output for the e-fans etc like a factory computer from a vehicle would?
Take a look at Painless Wiring's website. They just came out with a wiring harness for the newer Gen III / IV engines. I believe they have all the circuits you would need (fuel pump, elec fans, etc.) plus cruise control when, or if, you choose to go that way. I went with the GMPP LS2 controller kit (Painless was not out yet) and paid about $890 through Summit Racing. As for the controller that comes with the kit, I believe it is a EC40 controller and I have been told you can have it reprogrammed or re-tuned. I'm not sure what the LS3 controller kit comes with but I would think it's about the same.