Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8" vs 10" wide drag wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8" vs 10" wide drag wheel

I am going to order either the jegs mag wheel or some race star industries wheels, but I dont know if an 8" wide wheel will be wide enough for my application and get traction. The current mods are in my sig, I will be running a 200 shot, a new rear end and suspension. I havent made my mind up if I will run a full slick or drag radial yet. Thanks guys!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd put the 10 inch wheel on the car... this will give you more room to grow a little bit, and the wider wheel helps increase the contact patch, and also makes the car more stable.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10" all the way.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a 10" wheel, you will regret doing a 8"

Did RPM build your bottom end?
The following users liked this post:
Slowmotive (01-22-2020)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
Race your car!

Fwiw I'm going to try to stuff a 15x12 in my car.. the 10 inch is 100% a better thing to do then the 8 inch, unless you never plan on running anything bigger then a 26x10 inch tire, in that case it probably won't kill you.

Or, if you're running the 28x9, or the 26x8.5 tires, the 8 inch will work... but I wouldn't limit myself to those unless it's required by the class you run.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately 10", with that being said I have some 8" wheels I'll sell you, lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
Get a 10" wheel, you will regret doing a 8"

Did RPM build your bottom end?
No I am cam only but they are an awsome shop and do all my tuning. Well seems like everybody is going with a 10" wheel. Will I have to do a BFH mod or anything if I go with a 10"? I would rather not beat on my car lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Race your car!

Depends on the tire and rim. If you get a bogart/billet specialties that is made to fit the car, and run a 26 or 27 inch tire no you should be o.k., go to a 28 and you're gonna have to get the big hammer out, and maybe the dremel to trim the bumper cover.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Might take a little more to make work, but you can def hook a 10.5 or 11.5 tire on a 8" rim and save 4lbs per side of rotating weight. Theres guys running crazy fast on 9" tires. Thats the route I went.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So a 10.5 will work on an 8" rim? I am estimating and shooting for a 10.40 1/4 so if I can get an 8" wheel and a tire that will hook I would rather do that cause I've always heard you have to do a lot to get a 10" wheel to fit. I was under the impression that the biggest tire you could fit on an 8" wheel was a 255.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Race your car!

you can fit a 10.5 tire on an 8 inch rim, putting it on a 10 inch will flatten the contact patch out and that will help high speed stability.

For what you want to do, a 28x9 et drag would probably be a good tire choice, and that will work on an 8 inch rim no problem. If you decide to try to step up and run a good bit faster, the 10 inch wheel, as well as a full 28x10.5 slick would be a really wise idea/make life alot easier.

What gears are in your car? That will have some impact on what you need for a tire as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

10" wide rim is optimal, and I am certainly not disagreeing. But for myself, when it comes to funds, and rim choices I will be picking a 8" for now. BUT if money was not such an issue a set like a Bogart or Billet Specialites would be on the car with out question.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by second_2_none
No I am cam only but they are an awsome shop and do all my tuning. Well seems like everybody is going with a 10" wheel. Will I have to do a BFH mod or anything if I go with a 10"? I would rather not beat on my car lol.
I'm running the Billet Specialties with a 15x10 wheel and a hossier 26" radial and have no clearence issues at all. I've had a 275/50 and didnt have any issues at all either. I plan on going with a set 275's now that I am throwing the spray on.

RPM is a great shop..thats who tunes mine also. Might wanna think about stepping down to a 150 shot if you're still running with a stock bottom end. That 200 shot is gonna eat it up really quick...IMO
Old 02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

** Also to add, Clearence is an issue as I do much of my driving on the street. My car is becoming quickly one of the more "Racey" Street cars out there with adding a UMI Drag bar and R series Front shocks but still I do not need to be having a caliper fail.....
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

JL ws-6; Well I am buying a new rear end, the only reason I havent purchased it yet is because I am unsure if I want it narrowed any, and I'm not sure what tire size I want to run. It is not a daily driver, but it does see the street quite a bit. That is why I keep asking so many questions about wheels and tires because once I figure out what sizes I want to go with I will order the rear end and choose what gears to put in it.

outtacontrolz28; I wasn't going to run a 200 shot all the time, just a hit here and there. But I know of a few cars that run a 200 shot on stock bottom and are still going strong. Your car is pretty sweet looking with that drag set up on it!

Thanks for all the help and advise guys, really!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by second_2_none
JL ws-6; Well I am buying a new rear end, the only reason I havent purchased it yet is because I am unsure if I want it narrowed any, and I'm not sure what tire size I want to run. It is not a daily driver, but it does see the street quite a bit. That is why I keep asking so many questions about wheels and tires because once I figure out what sizes I want to go with I will order the rear end and choose what gears to put in it.
Any help and/or advise on this would be greatly appericiated!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Race your car!

If you plan to roll on the race wheel setup all the time, then absolutely get the rear narrowed and whatnot, but understand that you won't be able to put a stock wheel on the car anymore. I'd also reccommend, that if you are putting race wheels on it all the time (getting 2 sets, one for street tires, other for slicks for the track) to put 5/8 studs in, spool it, and just put lw drag brakes on the rear now, and ditch the abs/tcs completely. Now would be the time to do that, but I don't know how hardcore you are about track performance vs street ammenities. If you can tolerate the things I mentioned, it will make the rear alot cheaper too, maybe making the 2nd set of wheels/tires for street duty and one for track duty more affordable. (you could run a 275/60/15 nitto fpr street duty say) and then have a set of 28x9 for the track.. that would give you the best of both worlds, gearing wise you could put a good track gear in it (for your setup, I think 3.73 or 3.90 would be best depending on what you're willing to spin the motor to, how fast you think it will go and future plans... you might be able to get away with a 4.10, but I think you'd have to really spin it high, up to 7000 I'd guess) and have a 28 inch tire to get the gearing back to a little more streetable ratio too.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you plan to roll on the race wheel setup all the time, then absolutely get the rear narrowed and whatnot, but understand that you won't be able to put a stock wheel on the car anymore. I'd also reccommend, that if you are putting race wheels on it all the time (getting 2 sets, one for street tires, other for slicks for the track) to put 5/8 studs in, spool it, and just put lw drag brakes on the rear now, and ditch the abs/tcs completely. Now would be the time to do that, but I don't know how hardcore you are about track performance vs street ammenities. If you can tolerate the things I mentioned, it will make the rear alot cheaper too, maybe making the 2nd set of wheels/tires for street duty and one for track duty more affordable. (you could run a 275/60/15 nitto fpr street duty say) and then have a set of 28x9 for the track.. that would give you the best of both worlds, gearing wise you could put a good track gear in it (for your setup, I think 3.73 or 3.90 would be best depending on what you're willing to spin the motor to, how fast you think it will go and future plans... you might be able to get away with a 4.10, but I think you'd have to really spin it high, up to 7000 I'd guess) and have a 28 inch tire to get the gearing back to a little more streetable ratio too.
Yeah I'm really considering ditching the ABS/TCS but then I would have those lights on all the time, I'm not sure if my shop can clear them out or not. I heard spools are best for the track but absoulotly horrible for the street, I've never had one or been in a car with one so I dont know. Thanks for all the help and input man, this is the fastest car I've had and its going to be a lot faster in the next month so I'm deff new to all this and this is all great info for me!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

spool isn't too bad on the street, i think it's a little harder with a stick car trying to clutch out with the car fighting it the whole way. Its not recommended, but I can still make u-turns in a pinch. Bias ply tires help with the spool as well.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Race your car!

The spool, you'll notice it on the street, anyone that says you won't notice it has no clue. Auto car it won't be as bad, but a stick car with it, better have some soft sidewall tires on the car is all I can say, or make alot of wide sweeping turns.

But it's a piece of mind, that it's not going to break, and you can run whatever you want for rear end oil (synthetic and whatnot) if you care about that stuff, no more posi additive needed.

Quick Reply: 8" vs 10" wide drag wheel