Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can you go?

How low can a f-body be dropped before handling starts to decline? Are wider tires necessarily better for handling (auto X/ road racing)?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

1.25-1.5 is the most i'd ever lower an f-body, beyond that you're pretty much riding the bump stops in the rear and have very little travel in the front, not to mention ground clearance. you'll also want to choose a good spring rate when you lower a car to compensate for the lower height, and that also effects handling a lot more than simply being lower.

yes wider tires handle better, but don't expect a 315 sumitomo to handle anything like a 245 R-compound race tire. and don't try to squeeze super wide tires onto stock rims, running tires that are too wide for a wheel will hurt performance and cost more money.

you'll also want GOOD shocks when you lower, don't try it without
Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

i bought mine lowered. i dont like it. i looks ok but i dont like my new slp loudmouth slipping off the y pipe when i go up the drive way, or bottoming out on speed bumps. idk who had this car before i got it but he must of never left the damn parking lot with this car because it is crazy low. at least i think so anyway...

just got my stock springs from SOMbitch and im going back up to "normal" ride hight asap.

but if u wanna be as low as u can go, i might have some springs for you

i can send you pics of how low it sits right now if you want.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ must be very low springs. i have longtubes with a y pipe that hangs pretty low and i lost about 1" clearance with my SFC's, and i very very rarely scrape anything with my 1.25" drop
Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad they arrived OK Sabbath.

Any idea what kind of springs on your car now?? What color are they??? Red???
Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

im pretty sure they are black. i may be wrong. i never really paid attention. its been a while sense ive been under there. i will find out in the spring when i get some driveway work on it.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

You can check out my pics if you wish, at the time the car had a set of Eibach Sportlines. The car rode like a wagon and the largest tire i could get on the back was 275s and that was using my BFH . I now have a set of Strano's springs and some koni gas struts. Its like I brought my car out of the stone age and in to the modern era. The difference was like night and day, couldn't be happier.

And the ground clearence issues with Sportlines are awefull. Even with a stock exhaust kiss speed bumps and rail road tracks goodbye.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

here are a couple pics. is anyone else this low?
Attached Thumbnails How low can you go?-2.jpg   How low can you go?-getattachment.aspx.jpg  
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ that doesn't really look that low hahah. i'm probably at the same height as that, probably lower in the rear now with my new springs and concrete/full tank of gas in the back for winter. i remember your post a while back about having clearance issues, i have no problems with my low hanging Y pipe and sfc's. maybe your roads are worse.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

^^^ im mainly going back to stock spring for my driveway. theres not too many speed bumps where i live but when i do come across them its a pain in the *** to creap over them. im just crossing my fingers that it wont be as much of a problem after i lift it back up. maybe i will hang on to my springs for a little bit after i swap them in case i change my mind. (unless i get an offer haha)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

ahhh yeah my driveway is perfectly level with the road so there's no issue haha. some of my friends' driveways are too low for me to get in and out of.