Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with a WS.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a WS.6

as you can see by my post count i'm new to LS1's buying my first 2000 Trans am WS.6 M6 this weekend. i know the car is stock w/ TSP lid, flowmaster exhaust and cut out, new BF goodrich G-force tires on it. i'm looking to spend anywhere from 2-3,000 $ and hoping to make up to 400 HP. just from what i have read in the threads it looks like i'm going with 3.73 gears, LS6 intake, LT headers - y-pipe cats and i'm dropping the flowmasters for Dynomax bullets. if i'm making a mistake with any of this please let me know, and with the money i have to play with what else can i do to hit that 400HP. also this will be my daily driver and i would love to have a choppy cam but not sure if i can deal the money out for that. i'm putting 500$ a side for a dynotune after i'm done with the bolt-ons.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

ARP Rod Bolts
LS7 Lifters
Hardened Pushrods
Better timing chain
Ported Oil Pump

Do these mods first and have peace of mind forever and you won't really have to worry too much about over revving either. Keep in mind if you're gonna do lifters, it's a great time for upgraded head gaskets, too.

Can't do all the power mods without the reliability!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be dumb not to take a big chunk of that money and put it towards a 9" and some transmission upgrades.. After that get some LCAs/LCA reloc./TQ arm... Then star with your bolt ons and if you have enough do a cam only setup.

A cam only setup on a 6 speed is easy to hit 400Rwhp.. That power is useless however without a rear or a clutch.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

agreed^^^
Old 02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Do the gears and clutch, then just spray the dam thing. You'll get all the hp you want.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Do it right and build the car from the ground up. Rear and some subframes. NICE clutch. Start there, then finish the suspension.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Do the gears and clutch, then just spray the dam thing. You'll get all the hp you want.
Gears!?!? Spray!?!?!? BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!! Goes the rear end.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
Lemons...what do expect these newbies to say? lol. Usually it takes people a build or two to figure out that they should have listened to the vets of the board.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i agree buildup your drivetrain and susp. first. unless you just want power to brag about get full botons then a cam with valvatrain upgrades.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12

lol how bout a 12 bolt with spray? bye bye stock clutch.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the advise, Boost is not an option for me, i refuse to do that to a DD. i am going to start with subframes, gears, clutch, full exhaust, cam, dynotune. thanks again for reassuring me on what is better for a daily driver.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Weak!!!! Obviously a new clutch. But just putting spray on your car is not going to blow your rear end. What are you launching off the line with the spray? lol Put some good sticky tires on it and then launch it and you'll break ****. I may be a newb to LS1 but definately not a newb to cars or drag racing. A vet of LS1 and you know everything?? Just cuz you don't like spray doesn't mean u have to nock it or ppl that use it. It's the quickest cheapest way to get hp. Over you.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Weak!!!! Obviously a new clutch. But just putting spray on your car is not going to blow your rear end. What are you launching off the line with the spray? lol Put some good sticky tires on it and then launch it and you'll break ****. I may be a newb to LS1 but definately not a newb to cars or drag racing. A vet of LS1 and you know everything?? Just cuz you don't like spray doesn't mean u have to nock it or ppl that use it. It's the quickest cheapest way to get hp. Over you.
juice on a race car is ideal. for my daily driver i dont want to rely on a bottle to get good power. i would rather spend more money on bolt-ons then taken the easy way out and juicing it only. having to say "yea ill race at the strip, but i have to refill to bottle first.....that weak. the power should always be there. and bolt-on for my little bit of money to play with are good enough. im not saying people that use juice are weak, but if they revert to juice before even simple durable bolt-ons, NA for the win.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Lemons...what do expect these newbies to say? lol. Usually it takes people a build or two to figure out that they should have listened to the vets of the board.
Hell if I know, I should have thought about it first. Logic gets you nowhere around here anymore I suppose.
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
lol how bout a 12 bolt with spray? bye bye stock clutch.
Either one will ensure great frustration and coming back to this thread saying "**** why didn't I buy "XXXXXX" part instead of all these HP mods!".. !
Originally Posted by xRU1Nx
thanks for all the advise, Boost is not an option for me, i refuse to do that to a DD. i am going to start with subframes, gears, clutch, full exhaust, cam, dynotune. thanks again for reassuring me on what is better for a daily driver.
You need a rear end... The stuff you listed is absolutely useless unless you get a rear. No question about it.
I have nothing against spray, I love it and it is what I use for a power adder. Nice way to assume **** though Wizardofbreakingrears.

BTW, I drive my car every day and it is on the bottle.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Never claimed I knew everything boss, so don't get your panties in a bunch. But if I had to bet on a race between a car with a properly setup chassis/suspension/drivetrain and a car with a bottle and nothing else- it's gonna be a good day for my bank account. Lots of horsepower and absolutely no traction gets you just far enough to get your *** handed to you by the "slower" car. Don't be a dyno queen.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Teching In

well i dont have the money to build a car, race it a few times and break parts, then rebuild it, race it again and break parts. so im going to listen to the drivers on here that have the knowledge of building racing and rebuilding so that i dont have to rebuild for awhile. guess ill try to find a great deal on a 9" and more support mods before throwing in a cam. thanks for everything guys, even some bad advise helps when you can see it from a different angle so that i know what not to do.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Well you are definitely headed in the right direction! I might suggest a Strange S60 over the 9" though. Next would come subframe connectors to keep the frame straight. It takes a lot of restraint to build a car the right way the first time rather than throwing horsepower at it only to realize that its not the way to build a car. I commend you bro! Not many people have the patience.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised no one told you not to waste $500 on a full dyno tune for just bolt ons. I almost made that mistake. Just get a mail order tune from the member "Frost" on this site. With just full bolt ons you just need someone to make some tweaks to your pcm to optimize everything together. It's only $125.

And for everyone telling you to get a 9" Rear, Clutch, LCA's, Torque arm... I'm full bolt ons and a tune pulling about 350rwhp and I don't have any problems with traction? My clutch is great, my 10 bolt hasn't exploded, Lol. Maybe invest in all that stuff right away if you want to run Drag radials and hit the track a lot. But for a street car/weekend warrior I don't see the need to dump crazy amounts of money on suspension mods when a good set of rear tires would be a good investment.

On a side note, are you wanting 400hp at the wheels or at the fly? Cause full bolt ons and a tune will give you a good 415hp at the fly or more.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Teching In

yea im just looking to get around 400hp at the flywheel, i will not run slicks on the car. it will always have nice street tires on it. and i might go to the strip 3-5 times a year. i dont want hurt anything in the rear with a cam swap though. im going to have this car for a long time and i dont plan on driving hard that often. but it will be my sweet ride for work everyday.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xRU1Nx
yea im just looking to get around 400hp at the flywheel, i will not run slicks on the car. it will always have nice street tires on it. and i might go to the strip 3-5 times a year. i dont want hurt anything in the rear with a cam swap though. im going to have this car for a long time and i dont plan on driving hard that often. but it will be my sweet ride for work everyday.
Oh sweet man. Your definitely gonna get well over 400hp at the fly with bolt ons. And you sound just like me. I will never run drag radials and only hit the track a few times a year so there is no reason to spend $3,000 on a 9" rear.
I'm sure some day in the future you may get a cam and at that point you may want to upgrade your clutch or do a little suspension work.