Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Shakey headlight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shakey headlight...

Ok, so I wasn't sure which section would make the most sense to post this in...hopefully I'll get some sort of response here, either helpful or redirecting to the appropriate section.

My headlights work fine going up and down. The issue is when up, the passenger side headlight shakes/vibrates as I'm driving down the road (you know, one of those cars that looks like it has a shakey headlight coming at you or worse, behind you). Turns out one of the pins that holds the metal rotating lever has come lose in the hole and now has room to shift up and down slightly, causing this "vibration" of the headlight when I'm driving down the road. I took the car to the shop to have the pin replaced, and was told that you can't buy parts for the headlamps, you have to buy an entire replacement headlamp (at the cost of $650). Eff that. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this issue or dealt with it themselves, and how you went about correcting the problem...

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk how your chances would be but have you checked in a junk yard to see if you can get the parts you need? i mean i have a camaro so i really cant help that much but if you could try that and if you can get the parts i would do that and when i got just clean em up a bit but sorry i couldnt help that much
Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try to tighten up everything. My friend's rx-7 had a shaky light and he tightened up all the brackets and stuff inside. I'm not so sure about our cars but it should be the same basic idea since they both have pop up lights. Better than paying $650 from the stealership ha ha
Old 02-20-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. It's looking like I might have to go the junkyard route to get the replacement bracket. I know hawksthirdgenparts.com sells used replacements, but they're $250 and the entire headlamp assembly. I'd like to spend less than $250 if possible, but might be stuck...

I looked in to tightening up everything, but it just doesn't seem feasible since the part that is shaking is a pressed in pin and not a screw or bolt or something that can be tightened. Good idea though...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

there is nothing you can do about it i have tried everything less buying new headlights to solve the problem you can see the shaking on every sign you pass it sucks. but if there is a easy fix i would love to know too
Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

+1 same problem.. Mine seems to have started after I put in HIDs and took stuff apart getting them in place.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

My right side headlight door was loose when in the up position causing that annoying shaking headlight.

Assuming your door arm is loose at the same place as mine was: I purchased a replacement arm from Gm Parts Direct for like $35 (the arm itself was only $22 - their shipping is ungodly expensive). I then ran to Lowes and purchased some E clips that would fit the nub on the arm. I measured how far the nub goes into the headlight assembly hole to be perfectly snug. I then took a dremel and etched a shallow line around the nub. With the nub through the hole on the headlight assembly and the E clip on the nub, using the etch area to hold onto, the door is back to being as snug as it should be.

Last edited by Minacious; 02-22-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sounds more like the price I'm willing to pay to fix it...I'll look into doing it this way. I did a quick search for the piece - found it listed as the "crank back" for $22.01, right? That seems to be exactly where mine is shaking at - the nub that holds the crank back to the headlight assembly has worn out and is too small for the hole now. I'm guessing this is the piece you replaced? When you purchased the crank back arm, did the nub to hold it to the bottom of the headlight come with it, or did you have to make a nub to fit it (or purchase separately)?

Thanks a lot!

Do you happen to have any pics of the setup or the pieces?

Last edited by nddragon01; 02-22-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Minacious

It seems several people (including me) will appreciate the pictures ...

Thanks a lot in advance

dochidalgo
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nddragon01
That sounds more like the price I'm willing to pay to fix it...I'll look into doing it this way. I did a quick search for the piece - found it listed as the "crank back" for $22.01, right? That seems to be exactly where mine is shaking at - the nub that holds the crank back to the headlight assembly has worn out and is too small for the hole now. I'm guessing this is the piece you replaced? When you purchased the crank back arm, did the nub to hold it to the bottom of the headlight come with it, or did you have to make a nub to fit it (or purchase separately)?

Thanks a lot!

Do you happen to have any pics of the setup or the pieces?
The nub is part of the arm (crank back). On mine, and probably yours too, it isn't the nub that gets worn down (it is made out of some pretty strong metal), but the clip that holds it securely to the headlight assembly.

As far as pictures, I certainly would have put some up to accompany what I was saying if I was thinking and took some when everything was out. Trust me when I say that it will be clear when you are actually looking at the headlight assembly out of the car.

There is the metal arm (crank back) that connects at the headlight motor and at the headlight assembly. Where it gets loose it at the end of the arm (the nub which is part of the metal arm) that connects to the headlight assembly. There is a hole in the headlight assembly that the nub on the arm goes through. Inside that hole is a plastic sleeve that allows the headlight assembly to rotate freely. With the nub through the hole of the headlight assembly a metal clip holds onto the nub to keep it from sliding out of the hole.

Realistically, you could use various things to keep the nub from sliding out of the hole.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

I am having same problem for years and it drives me crazy.

Dragon - if you do fix, please take pics.

Thanks.

My problem is in the pic below. The pin that fastens the hinge.

Last edited by kdoublep; 02-26-2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 02-26-2010, 04:24 AM
Staging Lane

bump!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the shaking headlight issue.

I never have the headlights up anyway though so I don't mind too much.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you guys cause I've been having the same problem with the shakey lights & will attempt the same budget fix..
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Bump. Anyone else find more info on this problem?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Im sure someone has fixed this problem!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

I installed projectors into my headlights, and have the shakey headlight issue. My problem is the plastic sleeve that allows the arm to rotate freely broke. I've been trying to figure out what to use to replace it
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

8 years later bump on this lol

Quick Reply: Shakey headlight...