Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

High Horsepower and stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Horsepower and stock clutch

I'm thinking about some power adders to go with the mods in my sig. Probably Trickflow heads, ported fast intake, ud pulley and bigger injectors. I except to be somewhere around 450/425.

My car has 33k on it hasn't been beat on and the stock clutch at this time is fine. I had decided to go ahead and upgrade my clutch and picked out the brand and model. Well after hours and hours of searching on here and Corvette Forum I'm more confused on what clutch and actually if I even need to upgrade the clutch at this time.

I read threads about how one brand clutch has been great for several people and then you'll hear how some wouldn't take the same one for free. I know most are pretty good but the differing reviews sure makes it hard to make a decision. Then while I'm reading I see some that have 450 or so rwhp and are still on their stock clutch, even running it at the drags several times a year. Although they do the Ranger method of keeping the fluid clean.

I will not be running this at a track and generally when I do drive it I may get on it once real hard on a isolated section of road on the way home. I'm thinking now that maybe no harder than I usually run it the stocker may do fine for me for some time. What do you all think????
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just see how it does and if you have problems then start looking for an upgrade clutch
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^yup. I didn't make it that far. Slipped on the WOT pull on the dyno while tuning for H/C
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

i haven't run one yet but im looking at the monster clutches i hear a lot of good things about them compared to the bad
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
^^^yup. I didn't make it that far. Slipped on the WOT pull on the dyno while tuning for H/C
Never thought about that happening while tuning on the dyno, how do they do the wot tuning??.

QUOTE=Gonoma;12939079]i haven't run one yet but im looking at the monster clutches i hear a lot of good things about them compared to the bad[/QUOTE]

I've read so much on search lately on clutches it would make your head hurt, but I have to say (even though they are a fairly new company) that I read very little negative post's on the Monster clutches. I will also say everybody has had nothing but great things to say about their customer service. I can't say I've read that about all of them.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

My hydraulics and clutch were so worn and the tuner did the run from around 2500 all the way up to 6700, or attempted to. This was on a mustang dyno, and that 4th gear pull seems like an eternity. The clutch was just overheated from being under so much load for so long. We let it cool down and did a 3rd gear pull. Much faster, and it did not slip.

Just tonight I ordered new Tick hydraulics and a monster clutch stage 4.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Anybody else get some good usage out of their stock clutch after doing h/c??
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

I'm sure it will cope with regular driving but will hate any WOT driving.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not me, When I picked my SS up from Speed inc. after my H/C, I was at 450/402 and on the way home from Chicago, I got on it several times with my stock clutch and when i tried to shift at high rpms, my pedal would stick to the floor. So I bought a Textralia OZ700 Z-grip clutch......
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
Not me, When I picked my SS up from Speed inc. after my H/C, I was at 450/402 and on the way home from Chicago, I got on it several times with my stock clutch and when i tried to shift at high rpms, my pedal would stick to the floor. So I bought a Textralia OZ700 Z-grip clutch......
Just curious, did it stick to the floor the first time you went wot or was this after a couple of times. Also, how many miles did you have on your stock clutch when you had the h/c done?? You probably would need a clutch anyway in the future, but a Tick adjustable master cylinder would probably have taken care of the sticking to the floor part.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It stuck the first time. My car at the time had 25k miles on it.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pewterme
Anybody else get some good usage out of their stock clutch after doing h/c??
Your clutch will slip or stick to the floor. Get the monster level 3 from tick shift and you are done. This package holds 700 HP 700 TQ. Now you will be able to speed shift! When you speed shift from 6000 RPM's you can not shift into 3rd gear right?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Second Club

My stock clutch was rendered useless for anything but easy driving in less than 10k with only bolt-ons and street tires!

I bought my car used with 25k on her and it was a cherry! Original tires with even tread on all four corners, stock everything down to the paper filter, not even tinted windows or a short stick!

At first it would bark the tires and hold good. After a while it would slip on hard shifts and at the track one day I smoked the **** outta the clutch on the 1-2 shift. I have countless videos where you can hear that stocker begging for mercy lol.

I can't imagine a stock clutch with any kind of power. Even if you don't take it to the track your still going to want something that can handle some hard shifts on the street without slipping.

I've recommended this clutch many times and I will again. TEXtralia OZ700 Z-Grip. It is tame enough to drive everyday, yet strong enough to handle PLENTY of abuse on the street or on the strip. With 25k it was still lifting the tires on my car last time at the track
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
My stock clutch was rendered useless for anything but easy driving in less than 10k with only bolt-ons and street tires!

I bought my car used with 25k on her and it was a cherry! Original tires with even tread on all four corners, stock everything down to the paper filter, not even tinted windows or a short stick!

At first it would bark the tires and hold good. After a while it would slip on hard shifts and at the track one day I smoked the **** outta the clutch on the 1-2 shift. I have countless videos where you can hear that stocker begging for mercy lol.

I can't imagine a stock clutch with any kind of power. Even if you don't take it to the track your still going to want something that can handle some hard shifts on the street without slipping.

I've recommended this clutch many times and I will again. TEXtralia OZ700 Z-Grip. It is tame enough to drive everyday, yet strong enough to handle PLENTY of abuse on the street or on the strip. With 25k it was still lifting the tires on my car last time at the track
Wow, after all the Monster huggers on this site, it's good to hear somebody praise the most proven clutch out there. I'm with ya!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

What have you heard about the X Grip??? Isn't it suppose to be more street friendly??
Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
Wow, after all the Monster huggers on this site, it's good to hear somebody praise the most proven clutch out there. I'm with ya!!!
X 1000. Tech goes through these "fads" where the newest thing on the block is the ONLY thing to have. I'm not knocking Monster, but people need to keep in mind there are other clutches out there with YEARS worth of time on them that are tried and true.

Originally Posted by Pewterme
What have you heard about the X Grip??? Isn't it suppose to be more street friendly??
Yes the X grip has a different disc that is suppose to be just as you say, more street friendly. I don't have any personal experience with it, just with the Z grip in a few different cars.

Here's a more in-depth review and my thoughts on the clutch, along with pictures for you if you'd like to check it out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...view-pics.html
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Here's a more in-depth review and my thoughts on the clutch, along with pictures for you if you'd like to check it out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...view-pics.html
Thanks, but that's old news. Actually, I think I've read every thread on here and Corvetteforum than even mentions a Textralia. That was the clutch I was going to go with and then became unsure when I read several threads about their customer service, or should I say the fact that some say they don't have any. I have seen others get slammed too though, but usually a rep of the company would come in as ask them to call to try to help them out. I guess nobody with Textralia comes to this site.

I know one day I'll upgrade my clutch,(who knows I may still do it when I have the engine work done). I just don't do that much high rpm shifting and can't decide if I want to try the stocker for awhile or not. Heck, even a Ticks adj m/c might take care of that. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: High Horsepower and stock clutch