Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OK, what to look for

Hoping to look at a 99 TA with 32k on it possibly Mon, I'm not a dummy but is there any paticular area to look at on these?

thanks in advance guys
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamin
Hoping to look at a 99 TA with 32k on it possibly Mon, I'm not a dummy but is there any paticular area to look at on these?

thanks in advance guys
Nice choice, I bought a 00 with 39k in Summer of 08.
At that low miles nothing should really be in that bad of shape. Check for abnormal ware and tare on the seats, carpet, pedals, dashboard etc. This will help verify the miles.
I'll just tell you things I've had problems with since I bought mine:

Headlight motor. These like to go out, I have already replaced the passanger side. No fear though this is an easy fix as only the gear inside the motor strips. You can get a gear for $45.

Rear Defrost. This doesn't work on my car, and never did. I have no idea why. Nothing happens when I push the button.

Window motors. These suck, and die early. My friend has replaced his already and hes got 60k miles. I suspect mine are on their way out cause they are getting slow.

T-top leaks. My t-top leaks on the driver side in the very corner where it connects to the windshield area. Guess you'd need a rainy day to test this. Mine isnt that bad though so I havn't bothered to fix it yet.

Otherwise check for leaks under the car, listen to the rear end during the test drive for any whine, test the clutch (if manual), look under the cap for a milky residue (sign of coolant in oil), etc. etc. standard stuff. Also check level of oil. These LS1's like to burn a little bit of oil and if the car hasnt had an oil change in a while it could be low which shows the person has not been taking care of the car.

Last edited by udienow; 02-25-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you mind if I as what you paid? is it a ws6? this one is not. you could pm me if you would like
Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

the car appears to be clean, about 1 1/2 hour away, you can look under "what its worth" sectio under classifieds I have a cpl pics there
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

No mine is not a WS6 either. I paid $13k though the dealer, but again this was summer of 08. I image now my car is worth much less, but I havn't really been shopping or looking so idk.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres a link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/what-wort...elp-value.html
Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

gonna go look tommorow, anymore thought?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by udienow
Nice choice, I bought a 00 with 39k in Summer of 08.
At that low miles nothing should really be in that bad of shape. Check for abnormal ware and tare on the seats, carpet, pedals, dashboard etc. This will help verify the miles.
I'll just tell you things I've had problems with since I bought mine:

Headlight motor. These like to go out, I have already replaced the passanger side. No fear though this is an easy fix as only the gear inside the motor strips. You can get a gear for $45.

Rear Defrost. This doesn't work on my car, and never did. I have no idea why. Nothing happens when I push the button.

Window motors. These suck, and die early. My friend has replaced his already and hes got 60k miles. I suspect mine are on their way out cause they are getting slow.

T-top leaks. My t-top leaks on the driver side in the very corner where it connects to the windshield area. Guess you'd need a rainy day to test this. Mine isnt that bad though so I havn't bothered to fix it yet.

Otherwise check for leaks under the car, listen to the rear end during the test drive for any whine, test the clutch (if manual), look under the cap for a milky residue (sign of coolant in oil), etc. etc. standard stuff. Also check level of oil. These LS1's like to burn a little bit of oil and if the car hasnt had an oil change in a while it could be low which shows the person has not been taking care of the car.
Good Advice! My window motors went out at roughlyu that same milage(32k) on the drivers side. Just watch for slow moving windows and cycle a couple times. Is it an A4 or M6?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I went and looked, its got a cpl nicks on the nose (very minor) the liscense plate cover was there but chewed up on the edge, nose waqs fine other then a cpl nicks, maybe even buffable, on each side of the spoiler there was a cpl scratches, gouges, toward where the spoiler comes into the car, seen this on another thread is this common?, also rear bumper had one part that was spider cracked as far as the interior the side of the bolster plastic had some scuff marks in it, as well as a cpl other interior pieces that were very minor, and both door panels had a crack in them, drivere windo was slower then passenger, car was a a4, and it ran great and shifted great, very strong mechanically other then ac seemed not to work, I may call him back and lowball it, car sounds way worse then it actually is, thats me and my cousin really nitpicking her apart. I just don't think it was nice enough for me to take it at that price
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamin
well I went and looked, its got a cpl nicks on the nose (very minor) the liscense plate cover was there but chewed up on the edge, nose waqs fine other then a cpl nicks, maybe even buffable, on each side of the spoiler there was a cpl scratches, gouges, toward where the spoiler comes into the car, seen this on another thread is this common?, also rear bumper had one part that was spider cracked as far as the interior the side of the bolster plastic had some scuff marks in it, as well as a cpl other interior pieces that were very minor, and both door panels had a crack in them, drivere windo was slower then passenger, car was a a4, and it ran great and shifted great, very strong mechanically other then ac seemed not to work, I may call him back and lowball it, car sounds way worse then it actually is, thats me and my cousin really nitpicking her apart. I just don't think it was nice enough for me to take it at that price
The cracks in the door panels are very common... dont ask me why but I saw this on almost every car I looked at.
Im not sure about the spoiler part though... my spoiler is flawless.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by door panels are cracked? Where at exactly? I'm looking to buy one soon and I'm gonna keep my eyes open for these problems, thank you for keeping us updated!! it's sure gonna help me out
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Garr
What do you mean by door panels are cracked? Where at exactly? I'm looking to buy one soon and I'm gonna keep my eyes open for these problems, thank you for keeping us updated!! it's sure gonna help me out

It cracks right under the window trim around the middle of the door. Its pretty easy to spot when you look at the door. Common problem so its not that big of a deal if its there, but prolly a good sign if it isnt.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear Defrost. This doesn't work on my car, and never did. I have no idea why. Nothing happens when I push the button
Sorry to thread jack, but have you tried replacing the rear defrost fuse/breaker? It's going to be a small metal looking piece inside the fuse panel rather than a regular fuse. Pop it out and pop in a 30A fuse, and I bet you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: OK, what to look for