Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

speakers making blown sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers making blown sound

my speakers are making a blown sound in my car...but it only happens when bass hits...the weird thing is that it only sounds blown for about 5 mins of playing, then they all of a sudden sound perfect without a blown noise coming from them...im not sure if this is a problem with the amp?? im pretty sure it isnt the head unit because ive tried about 3 different units and they all do the same thing...can anyone help with this?? thanks

also, i dont know if it matters, but it is a monsoon system, but the head unit is just a stock delco unit (not monsoon)
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's not the amp, it's the speaker. I've never heard of a Monsoon amp failing and causing distortion (especially not on one channel). When they fail, you get no sound at all.

BTW, all Monsoon systems have ordinary Delco head units (some have a Monsoon label, some don't). It's the amp and speakers that make up the Monsoon "system".
Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Teching In

ok..so my best bet would be to just upgrade to better speakers then?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Teching In

If you upgrade the speakers, just remember that you can overdrive the stock amp and cause it to clip, which will sound like your speakers clipping. I was just as my stereo shop yesterday because my new Alpine components were clipping, and its because I havent bypassed the factory amp yet.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

kee audio has direct replacement speakers and they arent a bad price

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by eliteinstalls
If you upgrade the speakers, just remember that you can overdrive the stock amp and cause it to clip, which will sound like your speakers clipping. I was just as my stereo shop yesterday because my new Alpine components were clipping, and its because I havent bypassed the factory amp yet.
Yes, it is possible to overdrive the Monsoon amp but the speakers have nothing to do with it. A good aftermarket head unit can easily push the amp into clipping if you like your music really loud but the wimpy factory HU won't do that. In that case, it's the factory HU that destroys the speakers by producing so much distortion.

Bypassing the Monsoon amp is not a good thing to do. Sure, if you want to replace the Monsoon amp with your own aftermarket amp powering the speakers then you can greatly improve overall power and sound quality. But merely bypassing the amp and running speakers from the head unit is ridiculous. The Monsoon amp produces about 30W RMS per channel into eight channels. Even a good aftermarket HU only produces about 22W RMS into four channels (most are more around 14W RMS). So if you bypass the amp but try to get the same volume level, you're only going to cause the HU's internal amp to clip and still not have as much power as the Monsoon would give you.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twelver12
kee audio has direct replacement speakers and they arent a bad price

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html

has anyone ever tried these?? any problems?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by dbrichrider33333
has anyone ever tried these?? any problems?
Just do a little browsing for any of the "Kee Audio Rocks!" threads and you'll see that he has spent a lot of time determining what works well with our cars and that his customers are very happy (I'm one of them).
Old 03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Teching In

well i checked out their website and it looks like these are pretty good speakers..might have to order the premium package sometime soon
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's not the amp, it's the speaker. I've never heard of a Monsoon amp failing and causing distortion (especially not on one channel). When they fail, you get no sound at all.

BTW, all Monsoon systems have ordinary Delco head units (some have a Monsoon label, some don't). It's the amp and speakers that make up the Monsoon "system".
I have an amp that is bad. A buddy of mine has an amp that is bad. I know this because my amp wont play the passenger side sub in the sail panel. His amp plugged into my system plays that speaker, but doesnt play either of the two rear hatch speakers and has distortion in the sail panels.

Last edited by BlackZLS1; 03-11-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Considering the multiple threads you have posted this in, you seem to be on a mission to call me out. I never said it wasn't possible... just that I've never heard of it happening and it's unlikely. Monsoon amps don't fail very often and when they do it's usually power supply problems causing the total loss of output. That doesn't mean that a single channel couldn't die. In fact, I expect that shorting together the speaker wires of a single channel would cause exactly that situation.

From what I've read of your situation, it still remains to be seen whether the distortion is from the amp because you don't mention if your friend was having distortion problems in his car or if it only happens in yours. Again, it's possible but unusual - so it certainly wouldn't be the first thing I'd suspect when there is a problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Im not trying to call you out or anything, I just dont want people to think that its impossible, or even unlikely. Ive seen you post a few times about the amp having a total loss rather than just one single channel and wanted to share with you and with everyone else that it is very possible. Not saying you said it wasn't. Ive got two amps now that have at least one channel out. This is a technical discussion board, and as such, all possibilities of failure within a situation should be considered by the OP and with the guru's.

That being said, both amps I have been testing play distortion through the sail panels. Its not bad unless you have the volume higher than say 3 out of 10. 10 being max volume. Tonight I am going to put in one of my aftermarket HU's I have sittin around and see if its not the stock HU making the distortion (as I have read from both you and Kee that such is possible).

But im not on your case, im just trying to solve my situation, and share what I have found to be True with others. If you feel otherwise, then its probably because I may be trying to pump too much info.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Hooked up an older Pioneer HU and still had distortion. It wasnt as bad, but I dont think this HU pushes the system as hard as the stock actually. It wasnt as loud, and more noticeable, it had less bass and treble. It sounded cleaner because of this, but it still fairly easily distorts the subs. And its only the subs that sound bad. All of the other speakers sounds pretty clean and crisp especially the rears.

Whitebird, do you think its possible or likely that my amp is causing this bad sound to the subs considering it does it with the stock AND a relatively lower level aftermarket HU?

I already know i need an amp because it doesnt play to one sub, but could the amp be causing both these problems?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's certainly possible, especially considering that the amp is showing other symptoms of failure (the bad channel). I forget... did you say that the sail panel speakers are new? Is it possible that they're bad? Does the amp you borrowed cause the same kind of distortion in the car you borrowed it from? That would be the real indication of whether the amp is the problem - if you get the same distortion in different cars with the same amp.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yea I put in the basic replacement package from kee audio, so I would hope its not the speakers. If it is then the subs I got, which werent the bazookas because I think hes out of them right now, are a very poor speaker. But I just cant imagine it being that. Ive even pulled them out to recheck that I have the right polarity which I do according to your info in the monsoon faq.

The amp i borrowed caused about the same distortion or maybe a little more, but through both subs. My amp only plays one sub, so if i remember right, it seemed worse with the other amp. But this other amp didnt play either rear channel. It tried, like there was some minute sounds coming from the rears, but barely audible. As far as the other amp in the other car I have no idea. My buddy has had that amp out of his car for many years now since he rewired a complete aftermarket system in. Its been sitting on a shelf in his garage ever since. But over all, my amp with the one channel missing and some distortion coming from the other sub sounds better than his amp plugged into my car.

I bought another amp from another member here on Tech and when it comes in I will plug it in and see what happens. It would be so nice for this problem to just be a bad amp.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's certainly possible, especially considering that the amp is showing other symptoms of failure (the bad channel). I forget... did you say that the sail panel speakers are new? Is it possible that they're bad? Does the amp you borrowed cause the same kind of distortion in the car you borrowed it from? That would be the real indication of whether the amp is the problem - if you get the same distortion in different cars with the same amp.
Whitebird00,
I got the new amp installed and it didnt help other than playing all the speakers. I can still hear some sort of distortion.

BUT, what I did figure out just from leaning the seat back and listening to these audiopipe subs I got from kee audio, is that it sounds amazing from the back seat, but when seated properly in the front seats, MOST of the bass sound cannot be heard and instead all you hear is that distorted sound. Almost like you have to be right between the sail panel subs for it to sound clear. What could be wrong with this picture? Ive double checked that the polarity is right, so im lost now. Could it be that these substitute audiopipe's just arent very good, and dont have a good range so to speak? Im going to ask Kee this same question.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I have the Audiopipe subs in my sail panels and they sound much better than stock... even from the front seat.

The symptom you describe (sounding good when between them but bad when listening off-axis) is usually an indication of them being out of phase. You've checked polarity but I would still try switching the connections on just one side to see if the sound improves.

Quick Reply: speakers making blown sound