Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tsp exhaust...no bueno.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default new tsp exhaust...no bueno.

ok so where to start? i guess i will say that the TSP o/r y-pipe is top notch. great piece. but that's where the good news stops. the rumbler cat back is straight up garbage IMO. and so are the u-bolt clamps that TSP supplies with the kit. i ended up using the old sleeve type clamps off of my duals to put together the y-pipe. and in the places on the cat back where i had to use the u-bolt clamps i had to bend some of them to fit right over the pipes. annnnd thennn when putting the cb on i noticed that nothing fit right at all. AT ALL. thank god my step bro showed up so he could help me muscle the **** out of it to get the tail pipes to clear the bumper. and i still have no idea how i'm going to get tips on this bitch. but wait theres more...the sound...now let me just say that the TD's with bullets sounded like pure sex. but for whatever reason a dynomax bullet sounds like hammered dog **** on a y-pipe set up. not to mention it completely smoothed out my cam idle so the car sounds like stock motor. all be it i do have a small cam on 114 lsa but still...

cliff notes:

1. tsp o/r y is good.
2. u-bolt clamps are garbage.
3. rumbler cb didn't fit right.
4. the passanger side tail pipe sits too high, even after a lot of muscle.
5. the sound is horrible. too quiet at idle. too raspy at 50% throttle. too quiet at WOT. sounds ok when nuetral revved but thats it.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn good luck Now you have to change your sigs on the TD's Sorry it upset's you but everyone has to learn from somewhere.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

truth. and it hurts me to watch my old exhaust vids now

idk what i'm gonna do for a cat back tho. cuz i am def trashin the rumbler. i'de like a GMMG but those are so god damned expensive. i would just replace the bullet but the fitment on the rumbler is so bad i don't want to leave it on my car.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get yourself a magnaflow. I put a LM2 (which is very similar to the rumbler) on my car and it sounded okay at first but now its just annoying and doesn't really sound as good as what my first impressions were of it. But I'm sure we all feel that way after listening to the stock exhaust for so long. I'm going to be putting a magnaflow on mine.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
ok so where to start? i guess i will say that the TSP o/r y-pipe is top notch. great piece. but that's where the good news stops. the rumbler cat back is straight up garbage IMO. and so are the u-bolt clamps that TSP supplies with the kit. i ended up using the old sleeve type clamps off of my duals to put together the y-pipe. and in the places on the cat back where i had to use the u-bolt clamps i had to bend some of them to fit right over the pipes. annnnd thennn when putting the cb on i noticed that nothing fit right at all. AT ALL. thank god my step bro showed up so he could help me muscle the **** out of it to get the tail pipes to clear the bumper. and i still have no idea how i'm going to get tips on this bitch. but wait theres more...the sound...now let me just say that the TD's with bullets sounded like pure sex. but for whatever reason a dynomax bullet sounds like hammered dog **** on a y-pipe set up. not to mention it completely smoothed out my cam idle so the car sounds like stock motor. all be it i do have a small cam on 114 lsa but still...

cliff notes:

1. tsp o/r y is good.
2. u-bolt clamps are garbage.
3. rumbler cb didn't fit right.
4. the passanger side tail pipe sits too high, even after a lot of muscle.
5. the sound is horrible. too quiet at idle. too raspy at 50% throttle. too quiet at WOT. sounds ok when nuetral revved but thats it.
NNOOO!!! your car is the first fbody i heard with tds and is the reason i got mine! haha ive got to ask. why did u get rid of them?!?!?!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Jon said in your thread in the Texas section, feel free to shoot us some pics of your install and I'm sure we can make some suggestions on how to adjust it to make it fit better. They're all built on a jig, so they are built exactly the same consistantly and we don't see errors in the bends and such.

Let us know if you're interested in letting us help.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i tried snapping a few pics but i didn't have enough light to work with. which sux cuz i have to work for the next 3 days. i'll see if i can get a picture monday afternoon.

oh one more thing. there were no instructions included in either set ups, i guess that's normal for you guys? but i'm sure some instructions couldn't have hurt.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vteckiller
NNOOO!!! your car is the first fbody i heard with tds and is the reason i got mine! haha ive got to ask. why did u get rid of them?!?!?!
true duals are pure sex but unfortunately the cops around my area don't think so. i got a ticket for dumps and no cats in friendswood, and they bent me over pretty hard. not to mention the cop that wrote the ticket has a personal vendetta against modded cars and namely me...he's pulled me over numerous times and everytime i haven't been doing anything remotely illegal...beyond my exhaust.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know and I'll see what we can come up with to help you out. Like I said in the other thread, we haven't seen an issue with these and send out 10+ per month. However, if there is an issue, I would like to get it resolved so we don't run into the problem again.

We don't include instructions with the catbacks. Being that is usually one of the easier catbacks to install we didn't feel the instructions would ever get pulled out of the box. However, I will see if we can get some put together to include with the kits in the future.

Thanks!
Jon
Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i'll get pics asap. but like i said, i may not be able to until monday afteroon.

but this is the first problem i've ever had with anything from TSP. and i order just about everything for my car from you guys. oh well, it'll get straightened out, one way or another.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

ok heres a video of what it sounds like driving around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhcvmu0LVY
Old 03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Get yourself a magnaflow. I put a LM2 (which is very similar to the rumbler) on my car and it sounded okay at first but now its just annoying and doesn't really sound as good as what my first impressions were of it. But I'm sure we all feel that way after listening to the stock exhaust for so long. I'm going to be putting a magnaflow on mine.
Its what they copied. So of course its similar. hahah

Did you TSP cats ever get some better mexicans building your duals to clean the overlap out of your crossovers on the X's?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
dug
Banned

Is there room to add a pair of small mufflers in back? Like a pair of short sweet thunder mufflers?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

i think i might put a sweet thunder or power stick in place of the bullet. but no there isn't not on the passenger side at least. but i really wish the GMMG cat back wasn't so damned expensive, cuz that is the sound i am looking for. but for the price i could build a similar sounding exhaust.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

That does sound like crap. Might as well run an open cutout.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

^well i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks so. i was starting to feel like an *******.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM
dug
Banned

is there any way to modify the passenger side to make one fit? Replacing the bullet with a powerstick would probably sound better though.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i've looked at exhaust vids with power sticks and sweet thunders. they both sound pretty good.

as far as the passanger side pipe goes, i think i'll just have an exhaust shop cut it off and fab up a new one and put some tips on it. some dual/dual hooker tips and a 3"x18" power stick with new passenger tail pipe might fix it. however it's not gonna be free...
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

i think TSP at least deserves props for answering your post (twice in this thread).
Matt, I'll be dealing you with you when i get paid next week, I think your customer service is pretty awesome.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fucter
i think TSP at least deserves props for answering your post (twice in this thread).
Matt, I'll be dealing you with you when i get paid next week, I think your customer service is pretty awesome.
for sure. that's why they are one of only two shops that get my business