Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do next?

i'm stuck on what i want to do next, or save up for next i should say...
i could easily spend a ton of money on suspension, my transmission, or the rear end (the heads/cam will be last)... the question is which to do first...
if i get the car track-worthy, it would see it more, but till then it'll stay at around twice a year. this car is my DD
as far as ET/HP goes, i'm wanting ~11.2
jus looking for suggestions
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM
12 Second Club

converter + gears and bolt ons will get you the largest gain, the 10 bolts can survive a lot longer under an A4 as it doesn't hit the tires as hard.

look @ FTI, Yank, PTC, Circle D, or any of the other sponsors here for converters.

if you have the stock torque arm that's a great upgade as well, BMR, UMI, etc.

I say do converter + gears, and a 150 shot and it'll be a lot faster than 11.2

Chad
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hands down a convertor in the 3600 range for a daily driver. And also a tranny cooler at the same time. Then maybe some 3.73s and lower control arms. That should get you low low 12s with sticky tires and a good launch.

and with the mods in the post above including 150 shot......youll be in the 11.2 range maybe a tad faster.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i want to stay NA, jus because i do. i do have LCAs already, so thats done. the torque arm needs to be done (thats about all thats left for beefing up the rear suspension pieces)
would loking into a built transmission be a waste of time? i realize im not in dire need of one at my current power level, but if it's something thats coming later anyways because of other mods, then i'd rather build and not have to replace parts as i get tehre (i don't want to get one stall, then get another later)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pheer
i want to stay NA, jus because i do. i do have LCAs already, so thats done. the torque arm needs to be done (thats about all thats left for beefing up the rear suspension pieces)
would loking into a built transmission be a waste of time? i realize im not in dire need of one at my current power level, but if it's something thats coming later anyways because of other mods, then i'd rather build and not have to replace parts as i get tehre (i don't want to get one stall, then get another later)
the 4l60E's are pretty weak....but heads/cam car should b able to get one to live.

Chad
Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

i dont think a heads/cam full bolt on car with a converter would last very long on a stock tranny. Id wait until you do heads/cam, at the power level you are at now I wouldnt worry about it. Do a convertor and gears. That should wake the car up big time. Plus with a converter youll already have it for heads/cam.

stock trannies can be hit or miss, i had over 100k on mine before i went to a built one. And that was with a ton of nitrous passes on it. Same for the rear, stock rear at 120k was still good with 4.10s so you never know.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for some reason i had it in my head that i'd need a whole new converter if i got a built tranny... the gears and stall sound good for now, either way i have to save up and the heads/cam sounds like it be more possible around Christmas anyways
thanks guys

what gears would you suggest, i see a lot of 3.73's around here
Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are 3.23 don't waste your $$$ on 3.73's. If you serach you'll see most guys only pick up .1 or so.....
Old 03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
If you are 3.23 don't waste your $$$ on 3.73's. If you serach you'll see most guys only pick up .1 or so.....
Im gonna disagree and say these will help more once you do heads/cam. For the time being it may not be a huge difference but once you set match it with a nice heads/cam package and stall itll be worth it. But others may chime in i could be wrong its just my .02.

and unless when you go built tranny you switch to a TH400 all you have to do is flush the converter before you put it in the rebuilt 4l60e.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^Nah you can search it....I was just in a tranny post and a A4 guy switched to 4.11's and said he picked up .1 Ask Lemons 12 too he did a 3.73 swap and reported .1 gain.