Sponsored by:

Newbie questions about 383

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Newbie questions about 383

Hi,

So I'm hearing my LS1 can be bored out or stroked to 383 for a good increase in hp.
Not knowing anything about strocked or bored motors, I have a few newbie questions.....

Could the extra power mess up my stock A4's transmission?

Would I need to swap heads and cam as well?

We could get the block in & out of the car, but would likely need a shop to do the work, how much should I expect to be charged?

And what type of wrhp gain would a 383 give?

Thanks alot for the info, I'm just considering this instead of the n2o
Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

increasing the stroke on the LS1 will give a longer rod, more mechanical advantage, more torque, which can add more horsepower depending on cam events and head flow. Your questions are too vague to give any meaningful answers. Being totally honest with yourself, what are your goals for the car? How will you actually use it. Saying you want a drag-strip demon, when you might run it twice a year can make for a lousy daily driver. Instead of pulling the block and boring it out, perhaps your goals can be met with head work and proper cam selection without the added cost/work of punching the block out. (you would still need heads and cam as well). What end result or particular performance change (and it will be a change/trade-off) are you hoping to achieve? (oh, you will also hear about upgrading your transmission and rear-end, you might want to heed those warnings...)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Looking for better low end acceleration for a weekend warrior, better power comming out of the corners etc

I guess if it would require a built trans and rear end upgrade, then it's a no goer for me.

Thanks for the info though
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taws6
Looking for better low end acceleration for a weekend warrior, better power comming out of the corners etc

I guess if it would require a built trans and rear end upgrade, then it's a no goer for me.

Thanks for the info though
Simply building a lower (higher numerically) rear gear would go a long way towards making your low end more usable.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taws6
lol, then yeah, it's a no go

The stock rear end can go under stock power, as can the A4, adding more torque and hp to the equation makes it more and more possible to need to call someone with a trailer next time you go to the strip

You might be able to survive for a while too, but it is more of a risk!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

building a lower (higher numerically) rear gear would go a long way towards making your low end more usable.
That's what I'm planning.

Thought I should look into strokers at least
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Teching In

I'm going disagree a little bit here.

The rear, behind an automatic, could be good for a while provided it doesn't experience too much "shock", like that instant jolt when you go from not moving, to moving. Preloading the drivetrain helps take some of this stress out (add throttle and hold the brake at a stop).

The trans - I'm not too sure about the A4 trans, but I've seen it survive longer with a transmission cooler. A shift kit would take some of the mushiness out of the trans.

The way I look at it, any part could break when excessively abused. You can still go fast if you know where the limit is for these parts or atleast the situations that could lead to them breaking.

Go for the stroker motor. Add more power, because then down the road you can always add the built trans and upgraded rear. You'll just have more reason to.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
lol, then yeah, it's a no go

The stock rear end can go under stock power, as can the A4, adding more torque and hp to the equation makes it more and more possible to need to call someone with a trailer next time you go to the strip

You might be able to survive for a while too, but it is more of a risk!
Can =/= will.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I had a question about stroking motors. I have a 99 ls1 from a camaro sitting around. Its a complete short block. What does it take to put in a stroker crank? Would I need different rods and pistons? Or just the crank? I assume probably new rods and pistons but not sure. I have no use for this engine so I thought I'd build it up to drop in my car.