General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Misfire, loss of power. Where to go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire, loss of power. Where to go from here?

Alright, this is getting crazy. For anyone new to the thread please let me explain and see what your thoughts are. 2000 Chevy Camaro 3.8 no modifications. First off let me give symptoms: Loss of power across the board when engine is warm and at operating temperature, can go WOT but will not want to reach redline and feels as if it is going no where. While pushing on the pedal the car feels like it is surging. At idle the car is very tamed. two times at WOT 85 mph nearing redline, the car flashed SES light, only one time was I able to plug in my code scanner and read a *pending cylinder 5 misfire. I have not received codes very frequently so I am blindly replacing parts. Please help.

I have replaced two front 02 sensors, all plugs and wires, pulled plug 5 and it looks brand new, cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner and now I need help as to what it could be. Thank you all for your time.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

take a good look around the engine bay at the basic stuff. there is no way to be certain without a half decent scan tool but seems to me it may be a fueling problem. you will need to monitor the fuel trims, get a fuel pressure reading manually to compare to what is being recorded by the pcm aswell as what is being commanded. You can log misfire's aswell as injector fault's to rule out some things. If there were any codes you would at least have an idea were to start.

g/l.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

First, thank you for taking your time to review my problem. Second, I have checked for vacuum leaks and looked all over the engine bay for something out of the ordinary, I did not find anything. and Finally, I have the USB to OBD ii cable and software for my computer. My short term fuel trims bounce around as expected and my long term fuel trims used to read 3.13% on bank one and 10.xx% on bank 2. Since doing my 02 sensors yesterday I have not read the fuel trims again yet.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

being that you have the needed software reset the fuel trims and take for a ride and see where they go. being they are on the plus side especially on bank 2 i would bet the problem is going ti lie somewhere there. I do believe the map sensor is on that side of the intake aswell as do you have any data on it's readings both KOEO and KOER. Let me know about the fuel psi at idle as well as when you snap the throttle, i want to be sure the fuel pressure reg. is operating properly.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You might have a fuel injector in that hole that is leaking badly under pressure. Swap with another one and see if the code follows it.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Update. I recently was driving the car and my temp gauge went crazy. I know the engine was not overheating. I replaced the sensor and still the problem persists. I was really hoping for this to be it. Well today I ran a test run with the car now that it has miles on it since the new coolant temp sensor and o2 sensors have been done. o2 sensors are reading properly but my bank 1 Long Term Fuel Ratio is 4.5x% and my bank 2 ration is near 9.2x%. Where do I go now?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

it is getting false air from somewhere. i dont where with out diaging it for myself. I wonder if you may possibly have a set of intake gaskets on the way out. Try to monitor the fuel trims while spraying down the intake. you are going to get minor fluctuations just from spraying everything down, what your looking for is a noticeable change. If it seems to be worse when the engine is cold then you are going in the right direction.You will have to have to monitor the short term as well as long term f/t so you can see what it is doing as that moment.
g/l.

Last edited by biggb1783; 03-19-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Finally got the car fixed. Turned out it was a clogged cat. Had to replace it and now the car is running like a champ. Thank you all for your help.