Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Did the A-pillar flush mount with CDT premiums and it's sweet.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Did the A-pillar flush mount with CDT premiums and it's sweet.

I have had my CDT premiums from KEE audio for several weeks and had them in the standard mounts. I like the sound of them but felt I wanted to hear the high notes more. So I pulled apart the interior, drilled out the a-pillar covers and ran wire. The interior comes apart fairly easily just pull off the door as usual, pull the a-pillar cover off (which is two bolts then pull out towards t-top.) Then the kick plate where your left foot goes when relaxing comes out. All of these pieces are very easy to get out and just require removal of screws and a slight tug. The only real PITA was running a wire from the door up to the A-pillar, only because my hands aren't midget hands. I used a broken fishing pole to slide the wire from one side of the door into the interior. I shoved the new wire inside the pole and it slide right on into the cabin. I didn't have a hole saw big enough so I used a drill bit. Then, with a dremel sanding drum attachment I sanded out the hole till it was large enough to fit the tweeter and flush mount. I am quite pleased with my results and have zero regrets about mounting them in the a-pillars. Btw there is no Echo, the results are a more surround sound atmosphere and it's also louder with some increased clarity. I have some pics from the arrival of the speakers and some finals of the A-pillar mounts so enjoy and ask any questions if you need.

Below is the arrival and unpacked product

Below is the magnet of the midwoofer

and side profile

***** in a box

Kick panel to be removed, very easy

pull on pillar cover and it pops right out

lots of depth to mount tweeter

The other phases are just drilling which i'm sure most people can handle, just choose a spot to drill and get goin. Running wire was something I couldn't take pics of since...well actually I just got lazy. Sooo lets skip ahead to finished product after reassembly.

Lots of dust...sorry

Anyone who has ever used a drill or played with speakers can do this small mod. Honestly installing a window motor is more frustrating. But a word of advice the drivers side door is harder to do than the passenger since there are more obstructions inside of it from large wires and whatnot.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats clean.. thanks for posting. I currently have them in the stock location, but this may just inspire me to move them up.. do you have everything wired to your stock deck/amp or do you have aftermarket components there as well?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all wired up to the stock stuff, amp and all. I did have to add about 2-3 feet of new wire to put them in the pillars though.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good job, looks really good.
my hands aren't midget hands
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

^lol.
How do they sound with the monsoon amp? In my old camaro i had CDT componets but i had them running off an aftermarket amp. i wish i would of knew that i could still use the monsoon amp would of saved me some $$$.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good.I don't think your cats impressed though.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_Sean
^lol.
How do they sound with the monsoon amp? In my old camaro i had CDT componets but i had them running off an aftermarket amp. i wish i would of knew that i could still use the monsoon amp would of saved me some $$$.

They sound very good on the monsoon, they sound way better with the tweets up high.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3 years later and this system is still rockin, thanks for the awesome stereo Kee Audio. It looks like he hasn't been on for a while but his product is still fantastic.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welp my Camaro died so I sold it with the speakers still inside . But I liked them so much that i'll be ordering some more speakers for my GTO from www.keeaudio.com. Don't hesitate to contact him, he's a real nice guy and provides really excellent support.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Sad day about the Camaro... getting anything new?
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
Sad day about the Camaro... getting anything new?
picked up a 2006 GTO with a 6spd and exhaust, it's so comfy

Quick Reply: Did the A-pillar flush mount with CDT premiums and it's sweet.