Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why are my turn signals just staying on ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Why are my turn signals just staying on ?

when i put either turn signal on it just stays on no blinking, what causes that ? 01 TA
Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I just replaced the bulbs and they worked again.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
If the bulbs are ok and the light stays solid for either side, you need a new flasher unit. Costs less than 10 bucks and is easy to replace, located just right of the steering column.
Edit: He is right if both sides stopped working at the same time it is most likely your flasher. Either that or you have a bulb blown on both sides.

Last edited by Sh4Dy; 04-01-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bulbs are ok and the light stays solid for either side, you need a new flasher unit. Costs less than 10 bucks and is easy to replace, located just right of the steering column.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

yeah i put them on and the light comes on and stays on
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

this question may be related:
when i flip on the blinkers or hazards, the lights do not flash or come on at all, but they will turn on when i switch on my parking/driving lights. Even then, though, they will not flash when the blinkers or hazards are on. Is it some sort of two way bulb that needs replaced or does the flasher unit need replaced?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalis
this question may be related:
when i flip on the blinkers or hazards, the lights do not flash or come on at all, but they will turn on when i switch on my parking/driving lights. Even then, though, they will not flash when the blinkers or hazards are on. Is it some sort of two way bulb that needs replaced or does the flasher unit need replaced?
Did you notice that the lights are dimmer when running with the headlights on? They are dual filament bulbs - one dim (3 candlepower) filament for parking/running lights and one bright (32 cp) filament for turn signals and daytime running lights. Either filament can burn out without affecting the other.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the bulbs are burned out although that is quite common. Our cars also have poorly designed front housings that allow water to collect at the socket and cause corrosion. Corrosion in the socket will prevent even a good bulb from lighting. So pick up a couple of replacement bulbs (they're fairly cheap) but also check and clean the sockets when you change the bulbs.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tip WhiteBird. I figured that was probably what it was, but I thought I'd ask before I just went out and bought the bulbs, cheap though they may be...