Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

T/A Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A Tails

when I bought my WS6, the driver taillight assembly was badly water damaged, and dark from corrosion. So I bought a used one here off the forums, well he had taken the lamp apart and used a thicker exproxy. well It didnt fit right, I took it back out and examined side by side, the exproxy he used is too thick for it to fit right. I was wondering if anybody had a write-up or a How-To on fixing these tails, taking them apart and such without breaking them.

Oh, BTW I mailed 94aquaformula about this, No reply in like 2 weeks. too bad he already has a + i-trader. I mean I asked if it had water damage, he said no but who the hell would want to replace their tail with another one that will end up the same? anyways, pretty shady of him, beware of 94aquaformula!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

That sucks. Well, theres a couple used tails for sale in the classifieds that you can buy. Put these on ebay or something, but make sure you state that they've been epoxyd. Someone out there could probably use it.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

i guess...just blows to buy a part and now need the Same Part!

so no-one knows where a how-to is? I'd do it but I've never taken tails apart, scared I'll crack the plastic or something.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a forum for transactions amongst site members. Please use if if you wish to complain about a transaction between you and another member of this site.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

well he finally contacted me, I only wanted advice on how to take it back apart and try to re-seal them.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand how he took them apart in the first place without breaking them? I've tried this on the newer honeycomb lights. The epoxy used to hold the outer lens to the housing is strong stuff, even with a heat gun I couldn't loosen it up enough to remove the lens without breaking the small ridge on the inside of the lens, which sits in the "canyon" like crevice of the housing. My guess is this is what happened to your lights, and the previous owner put them back together to the best of his ability. You can line the lens back up and everything, but it just won't sit right. Epoxy is a heck of an adhesive. I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the lens, odds are, you'll damage it even further.

The older 93-97 lights are only siliconed in place, so those were easy to take apart and fix. Wish GM would have just stuck with that.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ I know right...lol
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

That's how I broke mine
Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it in the oven at about 250* NO HOTTER for NO MORE than 8 minutes. It works for most all light assemblies that use the thick black glue. You can pry it apart for about 2 minutes after it comes out, and then just re-heat it to stick it back together.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

thanks dude, i will try that...although I would probably JB weld it back together...hopefully sealing all the cracks this time.