General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!

So, i was finishing up my M6 swap and decided to change my oil since i could drain it into the 5gal bucket i use for my lifted diesel oil. I figured i might as well do it while my car is up nice and high. Well, i pretty much destroyed my ac delco filter. I think i might have let the G/F tighten down the oil filter last time . This is what i have tried so far.

My oil filter socket literally rotated the grooves on the side of the filter.

Tried my channel locks with no luck.

Dremeled out a 1/2 hole in the bottom and tried to use a 1/2 extension on a ratchet. This just rounded out the 1/2 hole.

My oil filter pliers type tool took just caved in the wall of the filter.

I tried the screw driver trick with no luck. The wall of these damn filters are about as thick as a piece of construction paper

So, the screw-driver ended up taking out basically the entire wall of the filter. My strap oil filter wrench is out of the question.

Is there any reason NOT to remove that hex fitting that the filter threads onto?????? If not does anyone know the TQ spec on it?

So, now i'm stuck which basically a crushed soda can on the bottom of my block. I'm running out of ideas and i'm about to roll my SS of a cliff. Not literally ,but this is a PITA. The last thing i'm going to try is a screwdriver and hammer in the little oil holes.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!-image_147.jpg   DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!-image_149.jpg   DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!-image_148.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

I was just going to say I'd try the screwdriver in the holes trick. Man, if that doesn't work, I don't really know. Maybe try to use pliers to peel back edges so as to take the pressure off the gasket, then try to spin. I'm reaching on that one.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

use a flat chisel ,just dont hit the pan. good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on my LT1, spend 6hrs trying to get it off. Albeit, the LT1 space is a lot tighter with longtubes than on an LSx.

My solution, used a dremel to cut pie shaped lines in the filter base and then a long bar/screwdriver and hammer the filter loose. Loose being trying to unscrew it.

Tony.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You're gonna need a new block.......

They make a tool that is adjustable like a claw and will fit into those holes, then you turn it like a ratchet. My stepfather has one at work, no idea what its called. He has the weirdest tools I'veever seen.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and....how the fugg did that happen.....?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

just take that hex fitting out. thats the best way to do it at this point. no idea on the tq for that piece but i would just take it out and get the filter off, then put it back in..
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

LMAO, Ive never seen one that bad I had a few give me trouble but i just put a screwdriver threw the filter and it came off easy. I have sence bout the 3 claw tool that you can turn like a ratchet and it works every time. maybe get two pair of vice grips and grab it in a couple of spots and try turning if that makes sence. Good look man
Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Get a chisel and hit it on the side of the little holes in the base of the filter to spin it loose . shouldn't be that hard
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Did you try a vise grip on a piece of the remaining metal? Hold the vise grip vertcial and grab metal and twist.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Man that happened to me on my LT1, it was horrible. It took a 30 minute oil change like 4 hours. I ended up getting some channel locks and grabbing the mangled to hell metal and just twistin the hell out of it. I'll now always buy a K&N oil filter (simply because it has the hex nut on the bottom, and a little hole to stick a pin through to twist) and learned how tight is too tight on the filter.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a mangled mess. Kinda looks like my mother-in-law after she's had a few too many.

I would think that the base of the filter is pretty strurdy. You should be able to gain leverage on it by placing a screwdiver in one of the base holes, and tapping it with a hammer.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the holes in the top of the filter canister....but you can only see the bottom of those hole now........get a screwdriver or other suitable object......hammer the tool into the holes in a counter clockwise motion.........rotating holes when you no longer have the leverage at that hole......just like taking the ring off the fuel tank...get the picture???
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Sooooooo...... Did you get it off?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Launching!

UPDATE I finally JUST got the filter off. I stayed up all damn night fooling with the POS. I ended up loosening the hex fitting. Man, that damn thing was tighter than a crank pully bolt. I had to use a breaker bar with a 3ft cheater bar over it just to get it to budge. Only problem now is the fitting is stuck to the filter. I don't think I'm getting it out I'm going to just order a new one from the dealer. I'm going to hang the filter up in my garage to remind myself how much hell a smashed filter can be. I'm only buying K&n oil filters from now on. They have a nut welded to the bottom of the filter. O well, i can finally rest easy now that this isn't on the back of my mind Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!-image_151.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about just not putting it on there so tight next time
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mike171562
How about just not putting it on there so tight next time
How about not posting useless posts on my thread to get you post count up unless, you have something helpful to say?? At least read the entire thread. On the first post i clearly stated i let the G/F tighten it down. Obviously, she went gorilla mode with the filter wrench.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Dude, your girlfriend's a gorilla?!? Don't **** her off...

I feel your pain on the filter. That sucks.

I always put clean oil on the threads of the new filter to act like anti-sieze, then I don't use a filter wrench to install filters. I put numbers 1-4 around the filter at 1/4 intervals so that I can get it installed corectly. I spin it until it contacts the block, then turn it by hand an extra 3/4 turn and stop. It isn't very tight, but if the gasket and block are clean it won't leak.

Try some PB blaster or liquid wrench on the adapter then use vice grips or an actual vise to get a good grip on the filter base and spin the adapter out of the base. Remember, if you work from inside the filter you need to screw the adapter "in" or clockwise to remove it.

Good luck...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

Wow that sucks man but that is why I seriously buy K&N filters. Put a damn impact on that SOB.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been there, done that.

Next time, or for others that may find themselves with this problem, simply take a straight blade screwdriver and put in one of the six little holes around the base plate and tap it around until it spins freely. Don't use a chisel. Takes about two minutes or less.

Quick Reply: DESTROTED Oil Filter STUCK!!! !!!!!HELP!!!!!!!PICS!!!!