Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

help, need rear end recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help, need rear end recommendations

Just got home from the track, made 3 passes.

1st pass no burn out spun through 1st and second.
2nd pass burn out spun through 1st
3rd pass hella burnout, hooked....BOOM

Towed the car home and took the diff cover off and everything is shattered.
Now My question is this , What would you guy recommend as a replacement?
I was running the stock Limited slip 3.23 , I would like to have posi 3.73.
Would this be a good setup? What brands do you guys go with and what all would i need to buy , every thing is broke except axles.
Thanks For all help!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

pics or it didnt happen
Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I don't understand what you want pics, the spider gears broke and fractured the carrier. If you want a pic of a drain pan full differental stuffing I get one when I get off work. But u guys obviously don't have any answers to my questions , so why even bother posting.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Are you wanting to rebuild the ten bolt. Or do you want to get a hole new rear. I wouldnt spend much on the 10 bolt. Youll just keep having the same problem. You can go with a MWC rear that is truely the only bolt in 9 inch for the body.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

For now I would like to just rebuild it , I just don't know what kind of diff and gear set to buy. It's my DD so I don't want to go to crazy but I do know I want 3.73 gear set.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can upgrade all those parts and spend 1200-1500and in the end still have a 10 bolt that it may happen to do the same thing again. just because you upgrade parts doesnt mean its bulletproof. with the car being a4 you have a better chance of it lasting longer than a m6 car, but no reason to spend good money and still be in question of the range of durability. you are racing the car and chances are you won't want to go any slower in the near future so it is best to spend your money right the first time.

with the car seeing track time and no suspension mods i suggest going right to our fabricated 9 inch rearend. it is the best bang for the buck in a bolt-in rearend for the f-body cars. the package comes with lightweight true fabricated housing, chromeoly double adjustable torque arm and crossmember. complete center section with your choice of diff unit and gear, and a set of complete axles. by the time you add up all the features our package comes with at no additional charge and figure in all the things included that the other manufacturers don't even offer, it is the best deal out there.

PM me or cal us to get a quote and set you up with a rearend that will suit your needs and budget. we are direct with Strange and Moser and offer any of their products and rearends at the best prices. we also offer any diff unit parts if a good rebuild is more of what you want to do.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

'everything is broke but the axles'
if that's the case,carrier,carrier bearings,gearset,pinion bearings,axle bearings?,pinion and axle seals?
to replace all that stuff,even buying off the forums and then taking the time to do it,less expensive and easier to just pick up a complete take-out rearend assy. and swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 10 bolt jus broke 3 days ago so pissed. three hard runs on DR's and pop, havent opened her up yet but i feel ya. subscribing