Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stamped vs Fabricated 9 inch housings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stamped vs Fabricated 9 inch housings?

I've been looking into a 9" for quite awhile and just started pricing things again. I see alot of people are going with the fabricated 9" like the MWC fab 9, for weight savings and since it includes a torque arm.

My question is, just how strong are the regular stamped 9 inch housings Moser offers? Are these fabbed housings overkill for a car that isnt an all out race car?

I already have a UMI torque arm and tranny brace/relocation bracket, so had always planned on buying a housing and axle kit, then a 3rd member so I wouldnt have to shell out $3000 all at once.

Also, I had always planned on running a detroit locker, but have seen several threads about people breaking these. Are the only good options for a high horsepower 6 speed a spool or the wavetrac?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

A stamped housing with a backbrace and seamless tube is plenty strong. I've yet to see one break or bend in anything slower than 7.0 1/4 mile. It's more an issue of budget and weight savings IMO
Old 05-26-2010, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

i have a mwc 9 and its great. although if you ever want to change your set up and run something else you wont have a tq arm and have to find another. although the mosere 9 has clearacne issues from what i have red. my mwc fits like a glove. just eric made these with larger rubber or poly mounts my rod ends make noise. just do your research. for the price and quality i went with mwc
just my 2 cents.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Moser M9 is Mosers fabricated nine inch rear. It is the same weight as the factory 10 bolt rear. I recommend the backbrace for it and with the backbrace this is one stout rear. My '99 Z28 cut a 1.29 60 ft time right out of the trailer at the first LSX Shootout with it. The torque arm that comes with it is an excellent torque arm, and the torque arm follows the contours of the f body floor.
Here is a link to the Moser M9 from my website. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
Here is a video of my Z28 at Sema in 2007. http://www.powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2901

We entered a televised wheelstand competition with my Z28 that Lou Santiago of Musclecar TV fame, hosted. The Moser M9 can be seen in the picture.

The legendary Lou Satiago of Musclecar TV, shown here with my driver, Ted Garvin. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm familiar with the M9; im more interested in how much abuse a standard stamped 9 inch housing can take. I've heard of plenty of guys breaking diffs in them, but never the housing itself.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Valkyn
I'm familiar with the M9; im more interested in how much abuse a standard stamped 9 inch housing can take. I've heard of plenty of guys breaking diffs in them, but never the housing itself.
A lot of guys run into the 8's with a standard Moser 9 inch housing without even a backbrace. Bob

Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything over 550whp especially with a 6 speed car we recommend a back brace. As inexpensive as one is, it is well worth doing. Think as it as a precaution.

Picture stolen from Sideways240sx.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

How would the aftermarket sway bars bolt on the these without clearance issues?? for instance I have Strano Hollow rear sway bar???
Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
How would the aftermarket sway bars bolt on the these without clearance issues?? for instance I have Strano Hollow rear sway bar???
Our fabricated nine inch is set up for all the factory options to work. Your factory sway bar mounts just like it did on the 10bolt. So as long as any after market sway bar bolts up the same way you will be fine with our fabricated nine.

One nice feature also with our fabricated nine inch is the fact we manufacture in house an ARB that bolts up to the factory sway bar mounts as well and then you weld in the chassis tabs.

We will eventually be working on a full bolt in ARB. That is one of the neat features of us, we are not only using the product we sell we manufacture it as well.

With that being said, we will always keep trying to come out with new and better items that will work with what we have produced in the past.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Valkyn
I've been looking into a 9" for quite awhile and just started pricing things again. I see alot of people are going with the fabricated 9" like the MWC fab 9, for weight savings and since it includes a torque arm.

My question is, just how strong are the regular stamped 9 inch housings Moser offers? Are these fabbed housings overkill for a car that isnt an all out race car?

I already have a UMI torque arm and tranny brace/relocation bracket, so had always planned on buying a housing and axle kit, then a 3rd member so I wouldnt have to shell out $3000 all at once.

Also, I had always planned on running a detroit locker, but have seen several threads about people breaking these. Are the only good options for a high horsepower 6 speed a spool or the wavetrac?

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-I...-and-Axles.htm
It sounds like the above housing and axle package is what you're looking for.
The spool and the Wavetrac are indeed the two main choices that I would recommend for your six speed. Bob

Quick Reply: Stamped vs Fabricated 9 inch housings?