Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

drive shaft yoke for stock driveshaft to th400

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default drive shaft yoke for stock driveshaft to th400

i do not know anything at all about driveshafts, yokes, and u-joints. i know what they are and what they look like but know nothing about sizes and what not.

Anyways, im doing a th400 swap and using my stock driveshaft until i can afford a stronger one. the splines are different on the t56 output shaft than aon the th400, which im sure yall already knew.

What size yoke/u-joints do i need? can i just go to a parts store and get something or am i going to have to order something aftermarket? Not looking to spend alot of money on this since i will be in the market for a new, stronger DS in the near future. Just trying to get the car back on the road for now
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock driveshaft is too short. I got a 3.5in aluminum pst from speed inc or get a strange chromoly 3in pretty cheap. never had luck with ordering one through spohn so I'd steer clear on them for driveshafts.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea unfortunately this is a shady area. You really need to pull a measurement and have something built. The transmission slip yoke is designed to be at a certain spot on the tranny tailshaft. You really don't want the yoke to just be inside the seal or vice versa, so long you can't get your drivehsaft in the rear end yoke.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, too short. I was thinking it was too long and i could just have it cut down some. I will get the guy who built my transmission to come measure it for me.

I can have one made local from a pretty good shop out of nashville

Thanks for the responses
Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, We have a few driveshafts at the shop. Maybe one will fit your needs. Also there is a place called Daves driveshaft in nashville that does great jobs on driveshafts!! an really isnt that high
Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea if you dont mind letting me try a couple of them out. Hell maybe we could meet up in murfreesboro one day and you could ride with me to my shop in woodbury to try a couple? The th400 isnt in the car yet but i plan on having it in tomorrow
Old 06-19-2010, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot its not a problem at all man. Whenever you want is fine with me. Just gotta make sure im free to get away for a bit.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw72
Yea unfortunately this is a shady area. You really need to pull a measurement and have something built. The transmission slip yoke is designed to be at a certain spot on the tranny tailshaft. You really don't want the yoke to just be inside the seal or vice versa, so long you can't get your drivehsaft in the rear end yoke.
Good advice, Jerry.

We go by the "x" dimension on the above graph. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: drive shaft yoke for stock driveshaft to th400