Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! Leak coming from transmission area

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Leak coming from transmission area

Car is a '02 SS 6-spd.
Symptoms are: light smoke coming from what looks to be at the end of the transmission close to where the driveshaft goes in, ONLY smokes/leaks when I go WOT! If i'm cruising normally the car is fine, it's only when I get on it that it does this. It will leak for a few minutes and then once I let the car sit it runs fine no leak. The fluid coming appears to be transmission fluid but i'm not 100% positive. Can't think of anything else that can be leaking from that area. The problem i'm having is why does it only do this under WOT and not all the time? What can it be?

Second question: How do I check the trans fluid level? And where do it fill it if needed? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Redfire 03; 05-05-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: I CAN'T SPELL!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a fill plug on the side of transmission about half way up on the driver side. You can stick your finger in there to feel the fluid level. If its low, add some fluid until it drips out.

As for the rear leak, its possible the rear seal and bushing need to be replaced. Have you done any recent mods to the car with the trans,driveshaft or differential?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thesource
There is a fill plug on the side of transmission about half way up on the driver side. You can stick your finger in there to feel the fluid level. If its low, add some fluid until it drips out.

As for the rear leak, its possible the rear seal and bushing need to be replaced. Have you done any recent mods to the car with the trans,driveshaft or differential?
Well the trans was taken out a few months ago when the previous owner had the new McLeod clutch and rear-end put in. I'm positive none of the seals were replaced though.

When you say "feel the fluid level", how exactly can I tell if it's normal or low by feel? Sorry but i've never checked fluid on a manual before.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Redfire 03
Well the trans was taken out a few months ago when the previous owner had the new McLeod clutch and rear-end put in. I'm positive none of the seals were replaced though.

When you say "feel the fluid level", how exactly can I tell if it's normal or low by feel? Sorry but i've never checked fluid on a manual before.
When you remove the plug, the fluid should basically be right up to the bottom of the fill opening hole.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Well the trans was taken out a few months ago when the previous owner had the new McLeod clutch and rear-end put in.
This is what I was looking for. What type of rear end is in the car now?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
When you remove the plug, the fluid should basically be right up to the bottom of the fill opening hole.
Yeah that's what I pretty much figured he meant. I'm getting ready to go check it out right now and if it's low which i'm pretty positive it will be i'll just add some ATF from the top (shifter).

Originally Posted by thesource
This is what I was looking for. What type of rear end is in the car now?
It's still a 10-bolt but the previous owner had it upgraded with Locker, Girdle & Hardened axles.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

It's still a 10-bolt but the previous owner had it upgraded with Locker, Girdle & Hardened axles.
Ok, well then the driveshaft should be ok length wise.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Alrighty, replaced the seal, drained old fluid...refilled the trans w/ 2 quarts of ATF. No more leak!

Unfortunately now my A/C condenser has a hole in it, so no A/C and it's heating up to triple digits outside. Oh well, just another day in the life of an F-body owner.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Exclamation

Alrighty, replaced the seal, drained old fluid...refilled the trans w/ 2 quarts of ATF. No more Leak!
You are 2 quarts low! The T56 takes 4 quarts. Hope you did not drive it long like that.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

any updates? did just the seal fix it or did you have to do a bushing too?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
any updates? did just the seal fix it or did you have to do a bushing too?
Yep, put a new seal on and no more leaks. Unfortunately though, about a month later the tranny took a crap. 3-4 synchro went out so I said F'it and bought an upgraded unit from Rockland Standard Gear. Learned about 90% of all there is to know about T-56's in the process. LOL