Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to put coolant in system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to put coolant in system?

How do I know if the is no air in the system?, I´ve just put the coolant on tha car (lowered the rear and lift the front of the car for proper fill of the system), but I´m not sure if this procedure is correct.
Exists any procedure for this?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Launching!

you want the radiator cap to be the highest point in the system. raise the passenger's front corner with a jack about 6", while the engine is running, when the t-stat opens, fill the radiator the rest of the way, then cap it. fill the overflow to the correct amount.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

was more or less what i was doing... I´ll se what happens.. thanks
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fill from the upper radiator hose.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, never heard of lifting the car.... it does not take all of that.....

I reccomended this for another guy here... I have never had any problems:

try this bro....... after you fill the block completely...
rock the car a bit.... you may even hear or see a few bubbles...
then fill the radiator...
start the car, with the rad cap off and let it run a bit and get warm...
If the coolant is not running through the radiator... get in the car and rev it slightly, with the cap off, now some coolant may bubble out but that usually works that air pocket out.... now don't rev it through the roof.... and let it run a bit with the cap off until you see coolant running through the radiator.... When it starts running, the coolant level in the radiator probably will drop a bit... when it drops and you have running flow, fill the radiator to the top or the desinated coolant line ....

Also I lay some towels around the filler cap so I don't get coolant on my battery, it will make a little mess but it should get the air pocket out... What some guys do also is stick the funnel in the filler cap location on the radiator and the air pockets bleed and bubble inside the funnel......

remember the air pockets usually always go to th highest point of the system.... I have sat and watched tons of cars when I ve done radiator changes or coolant changes etc... and you would be surprised of the air pockets in the system...

Now with my BBC I would always drill 3 1/8th holes in the t-stat to work as a bypass to burp the system.... Down side is when it is cold, it takes a little longer to warm up... But works almost like a failsafe, you'll always now coolant is flowing
Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Wow, never heard of lifting the car.... it does not take all of that.....

I reccomended this for another guy here... I have never had any problems:

try this bro....... after you fill the block completely...
rock the car a bit.... you may even hear or see a few bubbles...
then fill the radiator...
start the car, with the rad cap off and let it run a bit and get warm...
If the coolant is not running through the radiator... get in the car and rev it slightly, with the cap off, now some coolant may bubble out but that usually works that air pocket out.... now don't rev it through the roof.... and let it run a bit with the cap off until you see coolant running through the radiator.... When it starts running, the coolant level in the radiator probably will drop a bit... when it drops and you have running flow, fill the radiator to the top or the desinated coolant line ....

Also I lay some towels around the filler cap so I don't get coolant on my battery, it will make a little mess but it should get the air pocket out... What some guys do also is stick the funnel in the filler cap location on the radiator and the air pockets bleed and bubble inside the funnel......

remember the air pockets usually always go to th highest point of the system.... I have sat and watched tons of cars when I ve done radiator changes or coolant changes etc... and you would be surprised of the air pockets in the system...

Now with my BBC I would always drill 3 1/8th holes in the t-stat to work as a bypass to burp the system.... Down side is when it is cold, it takes a little longer to warm up... But works almost like a failsafe, you'll always now coolant is flowing
LSx GTO's are notorious for having air bubbles. We maxed out my jack on my dad's GTO trying to get all the air out of the system (because the radiator cap is so low compared to the engine). After about 10 minutes of it running on a 30* slope, it finally was air free, lol.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

get one of these, they work fantastic! doesnt have to be snap-on just the easiest one to find a link to.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, $210..... too rich for my blood... I guess I am old school.... I have done several motor swaps accross the board.... and my method has worked for years....... I guess I have more time than money.....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works for other fluids as well.. As demonstrated in this picture..
Old 07-02-2010, 06:10 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
get one of these, they work fantastic! doesnt have to be snap-on just the easiest one to find a link to.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
That is what I use at work, good to see someone else mention it. It takes out the guesswork - especially on a completely drained cooling system.

Removes most of the air by pulling a vacuum on the cooling system, then when you are confident the cooling system has sufficient vacuum ~25 inches and holds it steady you open a valve and the vacuum now pulls the coolant into the engine. Seems to stop at about 2 gallons the first time which is enough for initial startup, or you can pull another small vacuum and get the rest in.

Quick Reply: Best way to put coolant in system?