LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

why does this stuff happen to me? lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why does this stuff happen to me? lol

I was driving home in the rain today and went to grab 4th, just cruising, and theres nothing there, it wont even go into the gear. There is no noise, no grinding, no nothing. I was not banging gears or anything, I just hit the clutch, went down to where 4th should have been, let the clutch out, hit the gas and watched the delrin light up lol, never hit the limiter or hurt the motor. I'm not going to drive it because i don't know whats floating around in there. It won't even go into the gear while the car is off or with the clutch out while cruising and matching rpm's.

Anybody have an idea what is wrong?

The tranny has always been a bitch to get into reverse and now its easy as it should be. I was'nt heavy on the gas either, the gear dident pop, i think i never even got into it at all.

I may get a master rebuild and do it myself. I'm a mechanic and think i can figure it out, though i tend to stay away from trannys. I'll need a book lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probly broken sludrr keys have the synchronized bound up. The T-56 is easy.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

anybody else?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a cracked key to me too. youll see when you get in there.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

well i washed the car today before it went up on jack stands to get the tranny pulled out, i figured i would take it out for one last drive just to be sure before i do all the work.......somehow 4th just came back, then 6th dident want to work for a sec, now everything is fine and it goes into reverse like it should, witch it never did before. I'm going to try putting new gm synchromesh fluid in and see how it goes. I'm thinking a piece of clutch fiber from a synchro was stuck in the synchro teeth. We'll see i guess.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
well i washed the car today before it went up on jack stands to get the tranny pulled out, i figured i would take it out for one last drive just to be sure before i do all the work.......somehow 4th just came back, then 6th dident want to work for a sec, now everything is fine and it goes into reverse like it should, witch it never did before. I'm going to try putting new gm synchromesh fluid in and see how it goes. I'm thinking a piece of clutch fiber from a synchro was stuck in the synchro teeth. We'll see i guess.
My 97 auto did kinda same, one day I was doing burn out and lost revert, I take to 2 tranmission shop and they recomment rebuild. I was hopeless and broke that time, some how next day I drove really hard and revert some how working again.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

well i drained the fluid, you could see some metal and copper, not too bad though. I refilled it with pennzoil synchromesh fluid. It says on the bottle that it was made to be a replacement for the exact part number as the gm synchromesh and is safe for all yellow metals. It feels really good, and the synchros are obviously under less stress, it just slips right into gear and feels a lot better shifting at 6k.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
well i drained the fluid, you could see some metal and copper, not too bad though. I refilled it with pennzoil synchromesh fluid. It says on the bottle that it was made to be a replacement for the exact part number as the gm synchromesh and is safe for all yellow metals. It feels really good, and the synchros are obviously under less stress, it just slips right into gear and feels a lot better shifting at 6k.
how the gear shift in the morning ?

Quick Reply: why does this stuff happen to me? lol