Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Headers... Are they worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Headers... Are they worth the upgrade?

I cant find any real performance numbers on shorty headers... I've seen what longtubes can do for my car and I'd honestly love some but for one; I think my car may be too low for them, and two; I live in California and they wont let me pass inspection. Can someone shed some light on the upside to shortys (if any)? I dont really know if there will be a difference from my stock headers other than maybe what they are coated in... I'm wondering if they give me any extra horse power... Thats ultimately what we all want...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is your car and do you have any other mods?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 180ls1
what year is your car and do you have any other mods?
She's a 2000 SS. Stock motor with a 40 series flowmaster and electric cutouts. I came accross some funds and I want to get a couple of bolt ons.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Launching!

If you have the cash I'd say go LT's unless your having clearance issues, (some LT's clear just fine, so do some research) you can maybe expect approx 10rwhp from shortys if that, but personally I went with MAC mid tubes, and I think I made pretty good power w/o heads, but I have a ton of bolt-on's. For the price of new shortys you can probly pick up someones used LT's anyways.

You want power get LT's. Anyone agree?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that shorties don't do a whole lot. The exhaust manifolds that came on these cars do pretty well. Will the Mac headers (mid length) work for California? Alot of people had good results using them. Most long tube headers don't effect ground clearance but the y-pipe has to be decent.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
My understanding is that shorties don't do a whole lot. The exhaust manifolds that came on these cars do pretty well. Will the Mac headers (mid length) work for California? Alot of people had good results using them. Most long tube headers don't effect ground clearance but the y-pipe has to be decent.
They are AIR EGR capable so I dont see why not, but Ive never lived there so...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Datankid069
If you have the cash I'd say go LT's unless your having clearance issues, (some LT's clear just fine, so do some research) you can maybe expect approx 10rwhp from shortys if that, but personally I went with MAC mid tubes, and I think I made pretty good power w/o heads, but I have a ton of bolt-on's. For the price of new shortys you can probly pick up someones used LT's anyways.

You want power get LT's. Anyone agree?
My problem is that California has restrictions (SMOG) on longtubes. Anything that repositions the cats is deamed illegal.

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Mid lengths?? havent heard too much about these. Whats the difference? any links to websites where i can see them and compare?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by txmanincali
My problem is that California has restrictions (SMOG) on longtubes. Anything that repositions the cats is deamed illegal.

Mid lengths?? havent heard too much about these. Whats the difference? any links to websites where i can see them and compare?
you can google MAC mid tubes, or Ws6store.com, or the MAC website.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Datankid069
you can google MAC mid tubes, or Ws6store.com, or the MAC website.

painted or coated? what do you recommend? all about temperature right?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mids are still illegal here in california

Since you have a 2000 you have the better style manifolds from the factory. I would pick up an ory for stock manifolds that way you can swap it back on when you need it for smog time. The swap should take about 20-30mins and will be worth 8-10 horsepower. Not a lot but might be worth it since you can get one used for around $100.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Clearance isn't your main concern. California is! Some headers tuck wonderfully like stock
Old 07-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Mids are still illegal here in california

Since you have a 2000 you have the better style manifolds from the factory. I would pick up an ory for stock manifolds that way you can swap it back on when you need it for smog time. The swap should take about 20-30mins and will be worth 8-10 horsepower. Not a lot but might be worth it since you can get one used for around $100.
I'm coming accross alot of "emissions legal" headers... I get it, they are street legal but anything that moves the headers in California is illegal. So... as long as they dont see the headers I can get away with it. At least that is what I'm understanding from other threads and forums. Longtubes may be easy to spot but mid tubes look like they are a little more tucked in and I can still use my cats. BTW, what is an ORY? I'm not familiar with the acronym sorry.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Clearance isn't your main concern. California is! Some headers tuck wonderfully like stock
can you reference some for me? I wish SLP designed something specifically for California residents!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Launching!

painted or coated? what do you recommend? all about temperature right?
The coated ones def! There's no paint burning when the headers get hot, and no color changing. My buddy has the painted ones on his WS6 and the paint burned off, then the bare metal weld rusted and the tubes changed colors.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Launching!

I'm coming accross alot of "emissions legal" headers... I get it, they are street legal but anything that moves the headers in California is illegal. So... as long as they dont see the headers I can get away with it. At least that is what I'm understanding from other threads and forums. Longtubes may be easy to spot but mid tubes look like they are a little more tucked in and I can still use my cats. BTW, what is an ORY? I'm not familiar with the acronym sorry.
They don't have to look under the car to tell if u have mid tubes. They can tell just by looking where they connect to the head. You still won't pass visual with them. Either jump or don't - your choice but if you get nailed it's a PITA. Headers don't really change emissions which is why they advertise as "emissions legal" but that doesn't fly with law enforcement in CA nor our smog shops.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ory is off road y pipe. the y pipe the what goes from your stock manifolds to your catback, it had the cats attached to it.

And it all depends on the smog guy, if you purchase a set of aftermarket headers that do not have a C.A.R.B. plate or sticker on them then they are not legal in komifornia.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
They don't have to look under the car to tell if u have mid tubes. They can tell just by looking where they connect to the head. You still won't pass visual with them. Either jump or don't - your choice but if you get nailed it's a PITA. Headers don't really change emissions which is why they advertise as "emissions legal" but that doesn't fly with law enforcement in CA nor our smog shops.
I noticed that you're in Anaheim... how are you pulling off pacesetters? Any advice would be useful thanks man!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Teching In

ory is off road y pipe. the y pipe the what goes from your stock manifolds to your catback, it had the cats attached to it.

And it all depends on the smog guy, if you purchase a set of aftermarket headers that do not have a C.A.R.B. plate or sticker on them then they are not legal in komifornia.
oh i gotchu now... so from your reply i'm getting that the ORY removes the cats right? I'm assuming that I can have it installed with clamps instead of welding it together. I have easy access to a lift so i can replace it every two years myself just for smog purposes... i just got my smog renewed and it wont be due till April 2012...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I had an ORY when I lived in California. Every two years is not bad to put your stock Y pipe back in for smog testing. Still - probably not much power gained there.

It does change the car, though. I had a magnaflow cat-back and there was a lot of rasp. Not sure what an ory + flowmaster would sound like, but it wouldn't be "quiet." I see you have cut-outs, so you might not care, but you couldn't flip a switch and resume stealth mode once you install an ORY.

The last time I had testing in CA, I never put it back in. The wife said it made tha car smell like gasoline. She was prolly right.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

The ugly truth to all of this is that the entire US is due to adopt California's Smog regulations by 2012... how bout that!!!

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers... Are they worth the upgrade?