new engine won't start, help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Unhappy new engine won't start, help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...y-project.html
referring to my thread i have a new engine that I've never started, and i got everything necessary to start car hooked up today. power steering lines hooked up, belt drive, all wiring done, heater core lines hooked up, filled with all necessary fluids, PS, oil, coolant, all everything hooked up. got gas in it, charged the battery, and the car will not crank. it turns over many times, and will keep turning over as long as you hold the key, but it will not actually start up and run. doesn't back fire or anything. just keeps rotating over and over without any sign of even a hesitation with starting.

i checked the coil by removing, and putting it close to metal to see if it would arc, and it arced. so that's working. the fuel pump is audibly priming when car key is turned to on position. i just don't know where to begin to check things as far this goes.

help please....

here's everything put together, and looking good though.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 PM
scj
TECH Addict

wow, really. no replies.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your fuel pressure, don't just listen to the pump.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
scj
TECH Addict

when i hooked up the fuel pressure tester and turned the key to the on position i had about 30psi before the pos harbor freight tester started leaking gas everywhere..
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
scj
TECH Addict

i completely pulled the front down to the opti today, and checked my alignment on the opti to make sure it was on correctly, and there's just no way to actually be certain that it's seated with the oval in the cam dowel or not.. i mean it goes on, and it looks like oval is lined up with the dowel before pushing it on, but other than that it's nearly impossible to see. the opti doesn't exactly sit completely flush with the timing cover bolt holes though, does this mean it's not installed correctly? it's prolly 1/16th in. away from being flush with the bolt holes on the timing cover. the screwing down of the bolts makes it flush though..
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM
scj
TECH Addict

so i have spark at the coil, spark at the plugs, and 45psi of fuel pressure at the fuel rail.. the car starts for about 5 seconds with some starter fluid sprayed into the intake, but it's just burning that starter fluid up, so with that in mind, wouldn't that say that the injectors arn't fireing..
Old 08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scj
so i have spark at the coil, spark at the plugs, and 45psi of fuel pressure at the fuel rail.. the car starts for about 5 seconds with some starter fluid sprayed into the intake, but it's just burning that starter fluid up, so with that in mind, wouldn't that say that the injectors arn't fireing..

check the injectors for power, air, spark, fuel the three things needed to make the engine run. im sure you know this, i figured a reminder plus the fact that you are getting 2 of 3. go over all your connections again.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you have everything you need to get her going but something is not right. Im not familiar with LT1's but can you pull the fuel rails leaving the injectors hooked up? If so you can have a few rags ready, have a friend crank it and see if the injectors are firing. If not I would start with the obvious fuses and finally dig into and ohm the the wiring back to the PCM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked all your grounds? Some may be getting contact slightly and then loosing it after start up etc. Gotta check all the little things just to be sure
Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djfury05
have you checked all your grounds? Some may be getting contact slightly and then loosing it after start up etc. Gotta check all the little things just to be sure

i've checked and triple checked all my grounds, they are good.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the security light flashing? Sounds like the injectors aren't firing.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
scj
TECH Addict

security light is not flashing, but is solid, and has always been solid since i've had the car.
noid lights confirmed that i'm getting no signal to the injector wiring harness.

i'm thinking it's the vats for sure now.
spoke to keith from pcmsforless and will be sending my pcm off asap to get tuned and get vats deleted.