LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my project..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default my project..

so i posted my build thread a while back in the appearance and detailing section, but i figured you lt1 guys would appreciate it.

okay, so after a blown head gasket, and many more problems on a unknown mileage motor that i bought the car with installed I've decided to cut my losses and pull it out and redo everything my self. I'll be redoing the engine bay too clean it up a lot and make it looks nice and sexy. I'll be going with a mainly stock motor with free mods and a few little bolt ons being that the car is going to be a daily for a while, and i don't want to do anything ridiculous until i have another daily car, but this is just for now.
I've got the motor pulled so far, and off the k member, along with the trans taken off.

got everything mounted on the motor pulled off and loaded into the truck, all accessories, exhaust manifolds, all sensors, etc. it's going into the shop tomorrow morning to get a full long block rebuild, heads and all. Also got the k-member all disassembled, so i can redo the whole front suspension, new shocks, bushing, ball joints, tie rod ends, everything.. i don't want to have to deal with this thing having problems for a while.

got a lot done today.
motor was taken to the shop this morning for the rebuild and should be finished within about a week.
got the whole undercarriage of the car pressure washed along with sprayed a little of it with some rubberized undercoating, and inside the front wheel wells too. also got the front calipers painted gloss black, the k-member pressure washed and painted, and the steering assembly pressure washed and re-installed on the k-member along with the brake lines.
here's the only pictures i took from today.
not much..

so i got the harness pulled out of the car today, and pulled all the nasty loom off of it, went and picked up a **** load of new loom and went to town. got it all cleaned up and loomed up with new loom. also got all the engine bay paint finished today. i also got all the hardware to put the hood back on painted and installed on the car today, although i don't have pics of the harness or the hood hardware installed on the car, but here's the bay for now. i painted the brackets for the abs unit flat black, and painted the brake booster flat black as well. I'll be polishing the brake lines going from the abs unit to the master cylinder as well, stay tuned.

well i got the hood back on, and snapped some pictures with the header panel with the lights and stuff back on, also got the front fenders reinstalled and aligned.

okay, so i haven't really gotten much done on the car lately, with spring break just letting out and the weather being a lot less than perfect, nothing has gotten done. although, today i picked up the motor from the shop, and took it home and bolted it to the 1000lb engine stand i just bought for $30! and i also received my pacesetter lt headers for it, which i mocked up on the motor to see how they looked. this is the only picture i got today while putting it on the stand with a friend of mine, but I'll get some more tomorrow of the motor on the stand with the headers.

heres the pictures of the headers mocked up on the motor on the engine stand, i got started on the wiring and relocating wiring for hiding stuff and such on the harness today, got it really cleaned up, put the fuel rails on, polished it, along with the injectors, new o-rings, the throttle body is on, all the sensors are almost on the motor, except for a few and the opti. gotta save up the funds. i dropped off my egr gaskets at a machine shop to get plates made for them to block that off, so that should be installed on monday. everything will slowly be coming together.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
scj
TECH Addict

anyways, i got a lot of the wiring done, relocating a lot of things so i pulled a lot of wires out of the loom on top and routed them under the motor for a completely hidden install of some of it. these picture show all the wiring that you'll see on the top of the motor once it's installed completely.

got my block off plates from the machine shop, $20. excellent.
also got most of the wiring taken care of, just gotta figure a lot of stuff out once it's in the car. installed spark plugs and an oil filter as well.

okay guys, so it's been a while since I've updated anything really. its been a time to get a little bit more money to spend on the build, but I've got a lot of stuff done i guess. I ordered and installed/painted my new AC delco water pump, and Distributor. Hardest $572 i ever made myself spend, haha. anyways, they look good. I also got all my vacuum lines installed for the entire motor except for the brake booster hose, and of course the hvac vacuum line, everything else is installed, and tied up nice and tight. i also did a little work on the bay, removed the ac box thing, and made a plate to go over it, it still needs some paint though.
here are some pictures..

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
scj
TECH Addict

engine bay looks so much better and much more spacious without that huge *** box.My tall style 3 11/16" tall polished aluminum ball milled valve covers should be here tomorrow or first thing next week. I'll be running the speed inc. Alt and Power steering relocation kit also, so it'll look snazzy.
got my valve covers in last night.

well i haven't really gotten much done on the motor or car really. just messing with wiring a little more and cleaning it up even more so, and got my breathers installed aswell.

got my k-member today, bolted it up to the motor mounts and stuff also, just to test fit because it has to come off before i can get the motor out the door anyways. but it's a nice piece for $150.

so today's venture was getting the motor out of the workroom it's been in, and into some garage space, off the stand and sitting on the k-member. and it's been accomplished.

next comes getting my clutch, and relocation bracket.
that way i can get the accessories mounted, and the transmission back on the motor. then soon to follow will be the front suspension components.
got my clutch and header gasket.
2 day ground shipping from time of order placed.
wow, nice summit! delivered on a Saturday too.

got my flywheel resurfaced today, and installed on the motor.
got my pilot bearing installed, and got the clutch all ready to put on, started putting it on, got the bolts snug and then started tightening one bolt to the specified "55lbs" on these bolts, and next thing i know it... POP! break a bolt off into the flywheel.. anyways, I'll be picking up a "ez out" tomorrow, and hopefully pulling that broken bolt out of the flywheel, getting new bolts, and reinstalling the clutch, then on to getting the tranny connected.. ughh, what a day.

oh yeah, got my headers installed also.
pictures to come tomorrow with them installed against the new percys header gaskets.
well, i used an ez out, and got the broken bolt out, purchased all new bolts, and installed the clutch assembly onto the flywheel, got all the bolts torqued aswell 55lbs.

gotta clean up the bell housing, and that and the tranny will be going on shortly.
well i got the bell housing on..

okay, so i got the trans installed today.
snapped some pictures of the full motor and trans with the headers mounted up.
also, check out my transmission dolly... little red wagon.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 AM
scj
TECH Addict

got my "livewires" plug wires from performance distributors in the mail, and installed. really nice products. i shouldn't have any arcing problems ever! lol..
still waiting on my relocation bracket, and 02 extensions.
motor's in...

Today I got the radiator and fan assemblys all cleaned up, and installed along with the radiator shroud and both radiator hoses, some of thr intake. I loomed up the brake lines for alot cleaner of a look without the hassle of polishing them up. I also painted the cai I bought with wrinkle finish to match the rest of the intake. Slowly coming along.

also my extended wire mod.

and the clearances with the tubular k-member.

enjoy.
more pictures.
got my intake installed, started on getting my fuel lines installed, but one of the flared connector is bent,and wont slide on far enough to snap on. not sure what i'm going to do about this issue yet.

Okay, so I got my coilovers and got them installed in the car. Going to price ball joints, and bushings for the a arms on Monday. I still need to spray some under coating on yhr fender liners. So I'll be picking up undercoating, stripper, and some flat black to paint and install my stb aswell tomorrow.

more pictures to follow.
check out my main harness wire tuck.. it doesn't go in front of the radiator on the bottom of the radiator support anymore.

got my fender liners sprayed with some undercoating, looks a lot nicer.

Still waiting on my speed Inc relocation bracket in order to get the motor all finished and ready to start. In the mean time I've gotten a few little things done. Got my stb stripped, sanded, primed, and painted flat black. Got it installed on the car also, but don't have any pictures because it's been raining lately. I also got my spindles cleaned up, sanded, primed and painted flat black. Here's a comparison picture between before and after. Although. They're both painted now.

I'll be ordering both upper and lower moog ball joints and new upper and lower a-arm bushings sometime this week so I can get those installed, painted and bolted on so I can get the spindles mounted on those.
ordered my ball joints and bushings last night.
should have that in shortly, and installed shortly after.
heres a picture of the stb painted and installed.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy pictures galore, batman!! I love threads like these. Good work man, seriously looking hawt!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice detail ****!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

The Transmission Dolly is badass!

Nice Looking engine!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awsome I love it !! I like how clean the header and plug wire is. how much the shop charger for rebuild all that ?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

The car looks great & very nice work.

email me your info to check on your kit

thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lookin good!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96blackz28
Holy pictures galore, batman!! I love threads like these. Good work man, seriously looking hawt!!
thanks, lol it's a build up of the past few months of my life.
just all joined together.

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
nice detail ****!!!
Thanks!
Originally Posted by deerslayinrednek
The Transmission Dolly is badass!

Nice Looking engine!
Thanks man, it was handy, and better on my back, plus i'm 5' 11" 125lbs and 19yrs old.
Originally Posted by killagt
Awsome I love it !! I like how clean the header and plug wire is. how much the shop charger for rebuild all that ?
it was somewhere around $1200 parts and labor for the rebuild.
Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
The car looks great & very nice work.

email me your info to check on your kit

thanks
email sent, thanks!
Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Lookin good!
thanks again.

stay tuned for some updates until this thing is finished.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:05 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Okay, so I got my energy suspension poly bushings installed into my a-arms, got them painted flat black too. Installed upper and lower moog balljoints, and installed both a-arms on both sides, along with bolting the spindle to the balljoints, and bolting the coilovers to the a-arms. I still need to get sway bar bushings and endlinks, brake rotors, pads, and my stainless brake hoses ordered and installed and then the car will be back on wheels. Talked to Larry at speedinc, and Kevin at mymachinehead and I should have my relocation bracket by next week, then all that will be left to start this thing up will be fluids and my y pipe. It's coming along guys.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM
scj
TECH Addict

got my sway bar installed, it's just a stock sway bar, painted. nothing special. but i couldn't let it go back in all nasty. also got the wires for the speed sensors installed.

oh yea, and built a box for a digital designs eight, but decided to go ported, so i'm going to build a custom ported box for it instead.

even wrapped it in faux micro suede, anyway. it's for sale now.
check out my for sale threads, the proceeds are going toward this build.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-box-amps.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ember-etc.html
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Looks awesome dude, Good job.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by airfix
Looks awesome dude, Good job.
thanks man, it's coming along slowly but surely..

stay tuned.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:57 PM
scj
TECH Addict

just figured i'd show off a few buddies trucks.

silverado is bagged on 24's and tahoe w/caddy front clip is bagged and body droped 3.5" on bonspeed 20's.
the tahoe was just bought by the owner of the shop in the background, and the silverado is my buddy from schools truck. he's 17.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Wow, that engine bay looks awesome. Almost makes me want to pull my motor just to do some more cleaning. I thought mine was really clean.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great man!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, looks good!

Those plug wires are huge overkill.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sk8phreak88
Wow, that engine bay looks awesome. Almost makes me want to pull my motor just to do some more cleaning. I thought mine was really clean.
i thought my engine bay was clean before doing all this too.
boy was i wrong.
Originally Posted by AChotrod
Looks great man!!!
thanks, yours too. especially those valve covers, i might just be biased though.
Originally Posted by Speed Density
Damn, looks good!

Those plug wires are huge overkill.
thanks, and as far as the plug wires go, they were cheaper than msds. and better than under kill.

Quick Reply: my project..