Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise after warm up low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise after warm up low oil pressure

I recently did a h/c/and converter and oil pump install as whell as headers and why pipe by a guy who used to work for rpm in lewissville and while tunning car a rocker came off got it back on and now theres a noise when oil gets warm a ticking noise so I took off heads and did a lifter swap and new trays cause he will not repair his fu*k up I did it my self now car does not tick as loud but does only after oil is hott and gauge goes from38 psi to 20 then while driving ticking starts and oil psi is at 15 or lower ticking progresses when on gas no rise in pressure at all have to shut car off let cool then starts all over does anyone have any ideas on this maybe an oil seal from install i have checked everything else please help and where a shop is that will do swap of oil ring for a decent price i am tired of spending money on this project thanks for your help Wicked
Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is very easy to mess up the o ring on the oil pump that would be my first guess about the oil pressure issue.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree that it could likely be the O-ring. It sounds like that's really the only thing oil related that was touched. The lower oil pressure may not be enough to allow the lifter to pump up as it should.

Did it hold better oil pressure before your rocker backed off?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

it was fine before install after I drove to tuner had done and heard a small ticking on last pull like most cars make then i was driving home after and did a 60 mph punch and got to 100 mph and let off then about 3 minets of driving the noise started getting loauder and the the bangging noise i pulled over and found rocker loose and put back on no noise till car warms up and oil pressure drops hard and stays low and a new pump was installed a slp pump with higher pressure spring
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The oil pump itself doesn't produce pressure it produces oil flow. It's the resistance to flow that creates pressure. There's obviously a reduced obstruction causing your lack of pressure. That will only be an internal oil leak (pinched o-ring) or increased clearances (bad bearing). I went through this same thing on my last build. The place to start would be with the O-ring.
Other than that, when you replaced the lifters and trays, did you do so because something happened to one? If there was an issue, did you take a look at the lifter bore to insure there was no damage there?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

The boars looked fine rockers look ok as well posted on here before and pepole said lifters need to be changed and trays the lifters I took out were in decent shape as well had no bearing issies prior to build

Last edited by wicked87svo; 08-02-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Banned

ticking is your lifters starving for oil looks like you cut the oil pump o ring
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

I took off the oil pump today and the oil ring was pinched and cut so I am replacing it but now i have to fish the bolt out of the pan and a magnet is not working anyone have any suggtions and can i use a diffrent bolt and leave the other in pan or is that a huge problem
Old 08-04-2010, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt leave that in there.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it makes you feel any better, I've seen plenty of bolts left in the bottom of the pan. Not that it's the right thing to do, but it happens quite frequently. If that bolt makes it's way back up past the windage tray you've been airborne for more than a few seconds. You'll likely have a lot bigger things to worry about once you land.

I believe by raising the engine a few inches you can just barely get the pan slid out. It may be a decent amount of work, but it would make me sleep a lot better at night.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

I got the bolt out by removing the fans and radiator I used a flash light and magnet and got my head in between the motor and the pan i slid magnet around behinde the tray and got it in a matter of seconds and put all back togeather and I have 42 psi and when car got to temp it went down to 38 psi and while crusing it went to 40 psi so its fixed I hope and no ticking so I went from a dig and the car is fast for me now all is good my first ls1 car and I did all the work my self and got it all right thank god nomore shops for me thanks for the help now just got to get drag radios and go to track soon

Quick Reply: Ticking noise after warm up low oil pressure