Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about spring problems in 2002 C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about spring problems in 2002 C5 Z06

I picked up a used 2002 C5 Z06 a week ago and before I bought people told me about a problem with the springs. I was wonder if you guys could suggest a spring to replace my stockers.

I'm new to the LS world so I have no experience with these engines. I have noticed a slight noise coming from the engine when the rmps go above 2,000. For example if I'm crusing in 3rd gear going down a side road for awhile, I hear "the noise". Wondering if this is related to the spring problem? not really a ticking noise maybe a fluttering noise? Hard to explain what I'm hearing. Any idea what could be causing this. Car is a 2 owner with 66K miles.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

If the valve springs are really bad you could be experiencing valve float at lower rpms which is rare. That's when the spring looses the ability to keep the valve closed usually at higher rpms. park the car because you could be doing some nasty damage to your heads altogether.
Second you don't want to ruin your LS6 valves because they are hard if not impossible to find now a days at least the stock ones and they are expensive a hell.

rockauto.com used to have them but i don't think they do any more and they are expensive for a set if you can find them.
If you are going to do a set of springs do these http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp%20Cams/24...0002/-1?CT=999.

good luck
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Your springs are probably fine. If you think "the noise" really is from your springs ,which is unlikely as it would get worse as RPM increased and cause a loss of power, you can use these: PAC-1218 Set of 16 as a direct swap for your current springs.
Get new pushrods while your at it. Stock pushrods are fine for stock cars driven normally. Not so good for the occasional OverRev.

Call any of the Vendors here. I Like Thunder Racing personally. They'll let you know what you need to accomplish what you'd like.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info guys. any idea what is causing "the noise'? wonder if it's just normal. anything else I shoudl upgrade beside the springs and rods?

Thanks, Jeremy
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Thunder
thanks for the info guys. any idea what is causing "the noise'? wonder if it's just normal. anything else I shoudl upgrade beside the springs and rods?

Thanks, Jeremy
its hard to tell with out a vid, but again if you are experiencing a noise change ur rods and springs and get back to us if the noise is still present.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try to get a video or sound clip of the noise
Old 08-03-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z06Thunder

Thanks, Jeremy

I have no idea what the noise could even be... A video is unlikey to help either unless it's an obvious problem. Get a Mechanic or knowledgable friend to ride along and listen for when and whetre the noise is coming from. Some mechanics have a "Chassis Ear" which is basically a bunch of microphones that can be placed on the vehicle and a receiver that can switch between them. TRhis is a quick and efficient means of tracking down a noise.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ticking or sounds like a sewing machine?what oil do you use?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I have no idea what the noise could even be... A video is unlikey to help either unless it's an obvious problem. Get a Mechanic or knowledgable friend to ride along and listen for when and whetre the noise is coming from. Some mechanics have a "Chassis Ear" which is basically a bunch of microphones that can be placed on the vehicle and a receiver that can switch between them. TRhis is a quick and efficient means of tracking down a noise.
Good advice. I don't think a video or sound clip would even pick the noise up from within the cab as I can barely hear it.

Originally Posted by garygnu
ticking or sounds like a sewing machine?what oil do you use?
It does kind of sound like a sewing machine. Not sure on the oil. I just got it almost 2 weeks ago from a dealership in TN. I plan to change my own oil but need to get some low profile ramps first.

Quick Reply: questions about spring problems in 2002 C5 Z06