LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 almost done - How to properly break it in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 almost done - How to properly break it in?

First off let me say this is my first ever engine build, and I am stoked to get this thing fired up . How do you properly break in a new or rebuilt engine? After all this time and money I want to make sure I don't screw it up!

Some details about the car....

93 z28 - Rebuilt Street/Strip trans, Eagle 383 stroker build, CC306 cam, keith black pistons, ported lt1 heads, ported lt4 intake, air delete, egr delete, long tube headers 3" true duals w/ spintech race mufflers, MSD pro billet optipark coil and wires, autolite plugs, 160 degree tstat, walbro 255lph, Metco adjustable FPR, Meziere HD waterpump, ect....

I'll be getting a tune from Solomon loaded up before I crank it for the first time. The engine has been built and has had oil in it for the last year. I think there is 10w30 in it. Is it bad to have oil sit that long in a never-been-fired engine? Is that viscosity of oil ok? Any info on good products/methods of breaking it in? Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is a fresh rebuild with 0 miles on it, your best bet is to run it like you normally would. In other words, run it hard. Let it idle for a short while (1 minutes) to check for good oil pressure, then go out driving. Do several 1/2 to 3/4 throttle blasts keeping the RPMs up. After 20 miles or so, change the oil, then go beat the **** out of it.

The worst thing you can do is be gentle on it. The rings only get one chance to seat.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No the worst thing he could do is make that train wreck of choices he already did. The build sheet reads like a list of "don't do this".
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
If this is a fresh rebuild with 0 miles on it, your best bet is to run it like you normally would. In other words, run it hard. Let it idle for a short while (1 minutes) to check for good oil pressure, then go out driving. Do several 1/2 to 3/4 throttle blasts keeping the RPMs up. After 20 miles or so, change the oil, then go beat the **** out of it.

The worst thing you can do is be gentle on it. The rings only get one chance to seat.
X2!! Couldn't agree more!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i drove mine to the gas station took it home let it idle for about 15 minutes to check for leaks then I took it out and beat the hell out of it. And its ran perfect ever since
Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
No the worst thing he could do is make that train wreck of choices he already did. The build sheet reads like a list of "don't do this".
I took over the build after the motor was complete. What is wrong with the build besides the CC306?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

So just take it for a drive, check for leaks, then go out and wail on it for a while? Just 1/2 and 3/4 throttle no WOT? Any additives or special oil I should use?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran rotella 10-40 at first. I fired it it up, let it idle for a minute or so checked for leaks, varried the idle from idle to 3000 rpm for a few minutes. The I went and beat on it 1/2-3/4 throttle (varried speeds for different loads) for 50 miles or so. Changed oil and Have beat it ever since.

Good luck! Have fun.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Thanks that sounds like a plan. I know the CC306 is old technology but I think this is going to be a good build. I am excited as hell.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

you will spend some time bleeding the coolant system and checking for leaks during initial start up. once you do get on the road accelerate to 3500 rpm and then use your lower gears to decellerate. this loads the engine up/down and helps set the rings. do this a few times increaseing to 4500 rpm as you do it a few times.

change oil and filter and just drive after that...hard
Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Young camaro
Thanks that sounds like a plan. I know the CC306 is old technology but I think this is going to be a good build. I am excited as hell.

Who did the heads?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

x3 exactly right and DO NOT break it in on synthetic break it in on conventional oil. I recommend breaking it in on rotella 15w40 it has lots of zinc and boron in it for a shelf oil and has plenty of detergents, perfect break in oil.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

and if you want some extra reassurance order a bottle of comp cams #159 additive from summit and pour it in there with the rotella
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

I think I'm going to buy 2 bottles of Comp 159 additive, do the initial break in, change the oil w/ additive, drive for 500-1000 ish miles, then change the oil again. Will it be safe to run a synthetic after that? I was going to go Mobil 1 5w30.

The heads were done along with a 3 angle valve job by the master engine builder at NAPA. It was his last engine before he retired.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think I'm going to buy 2 bottles of Comp 159 additive, do the initial break in, change the oil w/ additive, drive for 500-1000 ish miles, then change the oil again. Will it be safe to run a synthetic after that? I was going to go Mobil 1 5w30.

The heads were done along with a 3 angle valve job by the master engine builder at NAPA. It was his last engine before he retired.
Don't wait that long for the first oil change. Change it after 25 miles along with the filter. Switch to synthetic if you want after a few hundred miles.

The heads don't sound very promising to be honest. Were they ported at all?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned

Don't wait that long for the first oil change. Change it after 25 miles along with the filter. Switch to synthetic if you want after a few hundred miles.

The heads don't sound very promising to be honest. Were they ported at all?
It's my understanding he hand ported them and took out as much metal as possible. Idk only the dyno will tell.

As for the oil change I meant do the initial break in, change the oil, then drive it for like 500 miles, change the oil again, drive it 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's my understanding he hand ported them and took out as much metal as possible. Idk only the dyno will tell.

As for the oil change I meant do the initial break in, change the oil, then drive it for like 500 miles, change the oil again, drive it 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic.
"Taking out as much metal as possible" doesn't bode well for those heads.

Your oil change procedure sounds good. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Banned

"Taking out as much metal as possible" doesn't bode well for those heads.

Your oil change procedure sounds good. Good luck!
The porter has years and years of experience, I'm sure they will flow well. He knows what he is doing
Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The porter has years and years of experience, I'm sure they will flow well. He knows what he is doing

LT1 heads do not respond well to old school porting. Old school was "take out as much metal as possible", modern heads respond better to finesse. Far as the valve job what do you think the stock one was???

A local guy had an LT1 rebuilt by a "good" local builder, afterwards I ran into a parts wanted ad of his and began trying to help him get the car together, the " good" old school builder has dropped compression into the high 8s, put a cast Eagle crank in it, put new stainless valves in the untouched heads, the thing is harder to turn over by hand t without plugs than mine is with over 230psi of cranking compression plugs in.

The fact a NAPA builder so old he retired did this is just one more reason to be worried about performance of the thing NOT a reason to be confident.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Enough dude I don't need you bashing my car which you've never even seen before with every post. I have enough to worry about, like just getting it started. Help is appreciated, but you can keep the snide comments to yourself.

Just like you assumed the crank was cast, it's actually forged. And to you MSD pro billet opti's are junk. They're not. They are as good if not better than OEM. The CC306 is still a good cam. Not as good as a custom grind, but still good. This will be a good build. I'm 20 and this is my first motor man, lay off a little.

Quick Reply: 383 almost done - How to properly break it in?