Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Monte Carlo 6.0 LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Monte Carlo 6.0 LQ4 swap

Hello Everyone, I am a noob here, been floating around for awhile mainly researching stuff here while I was doing my swap, now that its done, I decided to join and show some pictures.
My car is a 1985 Monte Carlo Coupe. It had a GM crate 350 in it for a while but a little over a year ago I decided I wanted to go fuel injection. After reading about some LS swaps I decided that was the route I wanted to go. I picked up a used LQ4 from a wrecked 2004 silverado and went to work. Now its done and its the best thing I ever did to this car, it runs better than ever. I'm attaching a list of stuff used and pictures below.

I used,
Trans Dapt set back engine mounts,
Carshop Inc shorty headers for a S10
F body Electric Fans
F body Front end accessories
Stock Monte Carlo Radiator
Upper radiator hose for 2000 camaro Z28
Lower rad hose - NAPA #9258
Thermostat housing - Street and performance straight neck
Techrods wire harness,
LS1 intake and injectors
Truck 80mm cable throttle body
Aeromotive A1000 pump
Aeromotive A1000 bypass FPR - #13101
Aeromotive 10 and 100 micron fuel filters - #12301 & #12304
Aeromotive fuel rails - #14106
Cadillac CTS-v oil pan
Sumped stock EFI Monte Carlo fuel tank
TCI LS1 to TH350 Flexplate
TH350 transmission
Fuel system is 10AN lines from the tank to the 100 Micron filter and A1000pump. Then 8 AN from the pump to the 10 Micron filter, and to the rails and regulator. Then 6 AN return to the tank. Its a little bit overkill right now, but I'll be modifying the engine in the future and didnt want to buy stuff twice.
I had CustomLS1tuning.com in Columbus, Ohio do the mail order tune to get it running.

Pictures are below, I still need a finished engine bay shot, I'll add that in when I get a chance the next few days.

Engine when I got it.
Name:  ProjectMonsterCarlo015.jpg
Views: 5855
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  MonteCarlo017.jpg
Views: 5764
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  MonteCarlo024.jpg
Views: 8828
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  Montepics005.jpg
Views: 5802
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  Montepics008.jpg
Views: 5647
Size:  77.3 KB

Then I also had to cut and refiberglass in the heater box.
Name:  CIMG1144.jpg
Views: 5730
Size:  109.3 KB

Almost done
Name:  Monte08-04-09016.jpg
Views: 10094
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  01-04-10010.jpg
Views: 5759
Size:  77.0 KB

Car as it sits today
Name:  monteswap009.jpg
Views: 12931
Size:  204.7 KB

Let me know what you think,

Later,
Jason W.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thats awesome. I will probably have alot of questions for you since I am doing a similar project, but I will be going carbed most likely.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Nicely Done! I just bought a 6.0 of my own!

Here's my Monte SS that it's going in. I blew up my ZZ4 couple of months ago. First I bought a reg 6.0 from ebay(which at the moment, I am still stuck with) then I SAW HER!
HAD TO HAVE IT!
Now....I'm waiting impatiently for its arrival. I do have a question? Does transdapt only sell mounts which set the motor back? Also, do they also seem to lower the motor as well, thats what I probably need. Are your headers smog legal? What did the oil pan hit you for altogether(windage tray, stick,etc.) As far as the harness goes, I can use my stock one because its already fuel mapped but what about the theft deterrent crap...Still wont start unless I pay "someone" to do "something easy" I could probably do myself...If I knew what the hell to do! Any suggestions? Maybe a question for a different thread huh? Keep the S alive
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Nice *** car..im gona keep up with your trend lots of good info stright and to the point.Does your oilpan hang below your crossmember ??? Thanks...
Old 08-17-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Nice Swap.Are you going to be doing a SS Clone?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comments everyone. I tried to answer your questions below, I ran into alot of stuff during this swap that cost me extra money, and I want to help other people avoid the same issues.

Originally Posted by qelsupreze
Nicely Done! I just bought a 6.0 of my own!

Here's my Monte SS that it's going in. I blew up my ZZ4 couple of months ago. First I bought a reg 6.0 from ebay(which at the moment, I am still stuck with) then I SAW HER!
HAD TO HAVE IT!
Now....I'm waiting impatiently for its arrival. I do have a question? Does transdapt only sell mounts which set the motor back? Also, do they also seem to lower the motor as well, thats what I probably need. Are your headers smog legal? What did the oil pan hit you for altogether(windage tray, stick,etc.) As far as the harness goes, I can use my stock one because its already fuel mapped but what about the theft deterrent crap...Still wont start unless I pay "someone" to do "something easy" I could probably do myself...If I knew what the hell to do! Any suggestions? Maybe a question for a different thread huh? Keep the S alive
Transdapt does sell stock position mounts. I tried them first, but they set the engine around 1 inch from the transmission if you are using your stock trans crossmember and driveshaft. The transdapt ones do seem to set the engine lower than the BRP ones.

The headers are not smog legal that I am aware of. But I live in Indiana so the laws are pretty relaxed.

Oil pan, pickup etc. altogether was around $200. But I think it will hit the crossmember under the engine with stock position motor mounts.

I am not sure if there is anything else you can do on the theft deterent.

Originally Posted by 86 g-body
Nice *** car..im gona keep up with your trend lots of good info stright and to the point.Does your oilpan hang below your crossmember ??? Thanks...
Yes, around 1 in lower in the center, but in my opinion it is a better option than the Hummer pan. I run Hotchkis 1 inch drop springs in the front and don't have any issues with it dragging.
I ran out in the garage real quick and snapped a photo.
Name:  CTSVpan.jpg
Views: 5541
Size:  62.0 KB

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
Nice Swap.Are you going to be doing a SS Clone?
No, I'm keeping it a coupe. You don't see many of them anymore in good shape. I am going to take off the vinyl top when I get it repainted.

I'll be posting up some pictures of other stuff a little later on.

Later,
Jason W.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Did you use the compressor off the F-body front end assembly?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love it. I'm a big fan of Monte Carlos. I think that they were made to have LSX power. What rear is under that and what gears?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The theft deterrent(vats) needs to be deprogrammed in the pcm. Badass MC btw, keep it clean and simple, and str8 street sleeper!

Last edited by deuce4935; 08-19-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MonteFastChevy

Yes, around 1 in lower in the center, but in my opinion it is a better option than the Hummer pan. I run Hotchkis 1 inch drop springs in the front and don't have any issues with it dragging.
I ran out in the garage real quick and snapped a photo.

My hummer pan looks to be in about the same position as yours as far as hanging down on two swap i've done. One in my 87 ls car with brp mounts and one in my 86 ss car with sbc mounts and adapter plates. heres the 87...
Name:  100_0122.jpg
Views: 5489
Size:  181.0 KB

I do like the fact your keeping the coupe front end. I was going to keep the ls front end on mine, but someone pulled out in front of me and now it has no front end. Here what it looked like...
Name:  justindidthissorry089.jpg
Views: 5425
Size:  45.6 KB
Name:  100_0182.jpg
Views: 5634
Size:  154.9 KB
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Tiger85SS
The AC on my car didn't work and was half missing when I got the car so I didnt mess with adding it back on.

Joseph
For gears it has a 7.5 pegleg 10 bolt with wicked 2.29 gears that isnt exactly setting the world on fire!! I have a Quick Performance 9 inch waiting to go under the car this winter, still haven't decided on gears for it, I'm leaning towards 3.50 but my right foot wants 3.73s. I'm just worried about streetability and what kind of RPM it will turn at 55mph. I'd really like to swap a late model overdrive transmission into it as well, like a 4L80E, but I might end up divorced if I spend another couple grand on this car.

Monte LS...1 - Car looks good man, too bad someone tore it up on you. You should check around the web for a new front end and keep it an LS. Not many good looking ones left!!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MonteFastChevy

Monte LS...1 - Car looks good man, too bad someone tore it up on you. You should check around the web for a new front end and keep it an LS. Not many good looking ones left!!
Lol Needs/needed little more then front end...
Name:  thewreckedmonte027.jpg
Views: 8522
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  thewreckedmonte025-1.jpg
Views: 5777
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^^That's very sad^^^ You alright?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

so you got the car done then got in a wreck>? man that blows well hope you are alright and who ever was with ya. best of luck !
Old 08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow that sux .. hope your ok
Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

pfffffbt that buff right out with some Meguires
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
Lol Needs/needed little more then front end...

Shiiiittttt I see your busted up front end and raise you half a Goat!

Name:  GTO.jpg
Views: 5501
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  DSC03330-1.jpg
Views: 5537
Size:  174.8 KB

Warning do not ever let this ride in you car with you. He wanted to go for a ride in mine and look at what happed, less than a year later he killed an F150 then his Monte Carlo...Duvie I have a nice Huffy for you to ride..that will be safer for us all
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****, that was a clean *** LS, i hope you're good. Aint no putting that back together. Go ahead and pull the drivetrain and look for another body in the meantime. As for the Huffy comment, lmaool!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I rode the gto out as well...you pulled the ejection seat and exited chicken lol Last year was a rough ride for sure man. Break a gto in half, month later get hit head on in the f-150, and then 8 months later head on at 50 or so in the monte. I'm fine though. Gashed my forehead pretty bad. Doc stuck his fingers up under the skin right at my eyebrows all the way up into the hair line.

I pulled the drivetrain, but it cracked the block. Already have a 86 ss ive swapped the 8.5 rear and go to swap some of the interior from the wrecked into the new one. Going to have the trans gone through. Cracked the bellhousing pretty bad and had to cut the drive shaft out of the car cause it crammed it into the rear of the trans...ehhh sometime I'll start a thread lol

Hijack off. Like the car for sure. Now swap you another one, its fun
Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
Yeah I rode the gto out as well...you pulled the ejection seat and exited chicken lol Last year was a rough ride for sure man. Break a gto in half, month later get hit head on in the f-150, and then 8 months later head on at 50 or so in the monte. I'm fine though. Gashed my forehead pretty bad. Doc stuck his fingers up under the skin right at my eyebrows all the way up into the hair line.

I pulled the drivetrain, but it cracked the block. Already have a 86 ss ive swapped the 8.5 rear and go to swap some of the interior from the wrecked into the new one. Going to have the trans gone through. Cracked the bellhousing pretty bad and had to cut the drive shaft out of the car cause it crammed it into the rear of the trans...ehhh sometime I'll start a thread lol

Hijack off. Like the car for sure. Now swap you another one, its fun
Sorry about your car man it was nice...... Glad your are able to tell the story and move on to a new build, Start a new build tread on the ss so we can keep up with your progress.... Good luck to ya...

Quick Reply: 1985 Monte Carlo 6.0 LQ4 swap