Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dampner Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dampner Question.

Hi guy, not trying to beat a dead horse here as I have used the search button and didn't find as much as I was hoping for.

I have an 02 LS1 block that I am going to have ERL do a superdeck to and I want to know if I can install either an LS2 timing chain dampner P/N: 12588670 or an L92 / LS3 timing chain dampner P/N: 12585997 successfully given the holes were never drilled into block. If both dampners can be used which one would be better.

I am considering running a C5R chain with an N-motion timing set so I can have a set with billet gears and a Torrington bearing.

Has anyone done a write up and if so could you point me in that direction.

Also who here has done this personally themselves and is everything still running normally. Should I see about having ERL do the install if it is too risky? I am no stranger to doing engines but I have never drilled on the inside of block before so close to the front main.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have ERL do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious as to why you would need the dampener? What's the engine being built for? Guys run stock ls2 timing sets to plenty of power.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Have ERL do it.
They are checking to see if they can do it. I think I am the first one to ask for it on an LS1. They do mostly LS2 blocks now which have the provisions for one so I will wait to see what they say. Maybe I can swap out my LS1 for an LS2 Superdeck 1 from them.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 89L98T56
I'm curious as to why you would need the dampener? What's the engine being built for? Guys run stock ls2 timing sets to plenty of power.
This is going to be a 1000rwhp twin turbo build that has to be 100% bullet proof for lots of street miles. Plus getting hammered on when it visits the strip. I want it for the peace of mind knowing I won't ever be kissing valves to pistons from a brakeage. It is overkill but I feel if you want a 1000rwhp car to be dependable you need to build for about a 1500rwhp application so you are never pushing it to fail.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS1 bolt spacing is not the same as the LS1, and if I remember correctly, when the holes are drilled they will be on the edge of the bosses on the block.

As for your timing chain choice, I tried a C5R chain on the JP Performance gears (they make N-Motion) and it bound as it came off the gears. I would not use that setup. Get the Cloyes gears if using the C5R chain.

Another critical item for the timing chain is the harmonic damper, go stock or ATI. Careful of others.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The LS1 bolt spacing is not the same as the LS1, and if I remember correctly, when the holes are drilled they will be on the edge of the bosses on the block.

As for your timing chain choice, I tried a C5R chain on the JP Performance gears (they make N-Motion) and it bound as it came off the gears. I would not use that setup. Get the Cloyes gears if using the C5R chain.

Another critical item for the timing chain is the harmonic damper, go stock or ATI. Careful of others.
Yah the 2.1in vs. the 1.7in bosses. I checked and mine are 2.1 and I hope to hear from ERL today about whether or not they can still adapt it in or not. I may just bite the bullet and get an LS2 block anyway as there are other improvements too.

I just wish I could have used my block as once ERL is done the block will be more then strong enough but I want to have the extras that should improve longevity. I have looked at Cloyes and I might just go ahead and use their whole timing set but will wait to see first about the dampner.

I will be using an ATI harmonic dampner with steal hub and aluminum ring. From my experience and reading of other peoples you just can't beat them.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Note that the standard Cloyes Hex-adjust uses the same chain as the LS2 chain. Then there is the IRL chain, but the only place that still might have them is SDPC since they cleaned out Cloyes stock last year.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Note that the standard Cloyes Hex-adjust uses the same chain as the LS2 chain. Then there is the IRL chain, but the only place that still might have them is SDPC since they cleaned out Cloyes stock last year.
Yup I knew of them and didn't figure they would have any but I called and they said there were 4 left so I bought one. $340 though, but I remember they are said to be about the best so what the hell. I have spent this much money on a short block no time to get cheep and sacrifice anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, if it makes you feel any better I spent a lot of time researching timing chains. I have the damper as well. I spoke to several guys at Cloyes who have done a ton of timing chain work and racing (Indy League), etc. They stated that there was no chain better, but the cost was high and that is why they stopped making it. It is hand assembled, shot peened and blue printed.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Well, if it makes you feel any better I spent a lot of time researching timing chains. I have the damper as well. I spoke to several guys at Cloyes who have done a ton of timing chain work and racing (Indy League), etc. They stated that there was no chain better, but the cost was high and that is why they stopped making it. It is hand assembled, shot peened and blue printed.
Wow I can't wait to see this sucker, I am totally excited. I am working on the dampner thing but am torn between using my LS1 block or just going ahead and upping to an LS2 style block. I believe they use the new 5.3 liter aluminum block which is based off the LS2 to do their superdeck 1 to.

Any input on this as I don’t know all the advantages or disadvantages of going from an LS1 block to the LS2. Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Oh and one last question for you vettenuts, you have been of great help. which dampner are you running in your LS1 block the black LS2 or the new LS3 loaded tensioner?

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am running the old GMPP damper that was made for the LS1/LS6 block.

Quick Reply: Dampner Question.