Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cts-v t56

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cts-v t56

First of all this is going into a 1967 GTO, with a 5.3L to power it, i can get a T56 out of a CTS-v for about $700, now i know the tail shafts are different, so is the output shaft, and the input shaft takes a specific pilot bearing. what else would i need to do to make this work if i were to go this route?

already those two parts make me want to look for something else.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The small shift parts (shift lever, offset lever, shift rail, guide plate, etc.)

You'll end up with a GTO MN12 clone, triple/double cone synchros, solid 1-2 synchro keys, steel 3-4 fork already included.

It's not too bad.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 04-07 V's T56 requires a truck pilot bearing (4.8L w/NV3500). The clutch slave will require a spacer to function with an F or Y-car clutch/flywheel configuration. Both of these issues are because the transmission is located rearward from the standard LS1/6 location due to the V's dual-mass flywheel.

The slave spacer is available from Katech or TPIS.

The shifter is another issue altogether if you retain the stock CTS-V tailshaft/extension housing. The Keisler forward-mount shifter will work by fabricating a bushing for the reverse blocking solenoid's op rod.

It is a good transmission and is worth the trouble.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scatillac
The clutch slave will require a spacer to function with an F or Y-car clutch/flywheel configuration. Both of these issues are because the transmission is located rearward from the standard LS1/6 location due to the V's dual-mass flywheel.
Are you positive of that? The CTSv slave is longer, but it's also lipped and located the TOB at the exact same location as the F-body slave which rests on the front plate lip:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...TSv-GTO-slave/
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The small shift parts (shift lever, offset lever, shift rail, guide plate, etc.)

You'll end up with a GTO MN12 clone, triple/double cone synchros, solid 1-2 synchro keys, steel 3-4 fork already included.

It's not too bad.
okay so im thinking if i can get away with it, to just use the CTS-V tail shaft housing and output shaft. just possibly switch to the Keisler shifter that installs in the front inspection plate area that scatillac was talking about.

does that sound like a bad idea or a good one?

one other question....will the transmission mount be in the same location???

thanks a bunch for your help guys!

EDIT: just thought about this....the CTS-V tailshaft doesnt have a slip yoke, and since this is going into a 1967 GTO i will obviously need the driveshaft to move with the flex of the suspension

Last edited by 67goatman455; 08-25-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

The trans mount would be in the same approx location.

You'd need to get the CTSv damper that mounts to the output flange and the slip tube for the driveshaft.. Not impossible, but not fun IMHO..

One of the conversions I did is phone-documented here:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...0813-CTSv-GTO/

The Keisler mid-shift conversion I did on an LT1 T56 is here for reference:
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...100116_LT1T56/
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you positive of that? The CTSv slave is longer, but it's also lipped and located the TOB at the exact same location as the F-body slave which rests on the front plate lip.
I've measured the amount of main drive that extends beyond the bellhousing on both an F-body T56 and the V T56 (using the bellhousing for each specific vehicle). The V T56 measures the same a the truck NV3500, which, by the way, is the same as the measurement for an SBC/Monza bellhousing/T10 configuration.

I've also used the 05 LS6 flywheel/clutch with the LS7 swap in my V and I can tell you, the clutch wouldn't have released without the spacer.

Oddly enough, the Katech spacer is quite a bit thicker than the TPIS spacer. The TPIS spacer is currently in the car with no issues.

Also, when I put the F-body T56 in my truck, I had to use the F/Y pilot bearing as the shaft went deeper into the crank.

This is also the unit that got the Keisler forward-mount shifter and while I was installing it, I opened my spare V T56 to check for the Keisler shifter's compatibility with the V trans, Except for the sleeve for the smaller rear rod it's a go! You'd also have to make a short-sectioned two-piece driveshaft or use the method you described.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

You'd need to get the CTSv damper that mounts to the output flange and the slip tube for the driveshaft.. Not impossible, but not fun IMHO..
as in the factory deal? basically it bolts to the outputshaft flange and has a male end of a slip yoke on it?

and also if i bought this CTS-V trransmission, the keisler shifter would basically bolt right in without disassembling the transmission correct?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67goatman455
as in the factory deal? basically it bolts to the outputshaft flange and has a male end of a slip yoke on it?

and also if i bought this CTS-V trransmission, the keisler shifter would basically bolt right in without disassembling the transmission correct?

Yes, the factory driveshaft setup, modified to fit your application.. Not fun, but doable.

You need to disassemble the trans to install the mid-shift kit, unless you don't plan on retaining the rev-lockout.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the factory driveshaft setup, modified to fit your application.. Not fun, but doable.

You need to disassemble the trans to install the mid-shift kit, unless you don't plan on retaining the rev-lockout.
i have never hear of rev-lockout, but it doesnt sound like a fun thing to have. ill have to do some research on the drive shaft thing, if i can find any info
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

rev-lockout=reverse lockout. He was just saying if you want to keep it, which is a good thing to have, you need to disassemble the trans to install the mid shift kit instead of the remote shifter.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
rev-lockout=reverse lockout. He was just saying if you want to keep it, which is a good thing to have, you need to disassemble the trans to install the mid shift kit instead of the remote shifter.
now i feel stupid lol, thank you for clarifying.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

so lets say i do go with this CTS-V unit, I have checked and having the shifter that far forward (if moved to the front access hole) it would be too far out of reach, can the Stock CTS-V shifter mechanism be made to be more "performance oriented"? someone mentioned that "the stock shifter feel in a V has no place in a performance car" is why i ask.

Also would it be unreasonable to use the stock front section of the drives haft, then have a custom one made to utilize the slip yoke? or might i run into issues of the suspension having too much travel for how short the drive shaft would be?

thanks a lot for all your help so far guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

I can tell you that the shifter in the V does suck! You can mod the shifter to make it a short throw and it helps a ton but still not as nice as normal shifter. The remote shifter just sucks.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

It will be a quite a bit of work making the CTSV trans work in your application. First, you would have to disassemble the trans to replace the main shaft with a GTO unit (if you want to use the slip yoke) and while you're at it, install the forward shift position. You would need a F body/GTO tailshaft housing also. You mind as well upgrade to billet keys and bronze fork pads while you have everything apart.

I'm currently building a GTO T56 trans for a 70 GTO. Working on the position of the shifter and the off-set needed to make it work.

If I solve the shifter loacation issue, I'll post it here.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS123
It will be a quite a bit of work making the CTSV trans work in your application. First, you would have to disassemble the trans to replace the main shaft with a GTO unit (if you want to use the slip yoke) and while you're at it, install the forward shift position. You would need a F body/GTO tailshaft housing also. You mind as well upgrade to billet keys and bronze fork pads while you have everything apart.

I'm currently building a GTO T56 trans for a 70 GTO. Working on the position of the shifter and the off-set needed to make it work.

thank you for the response. I ended up finding an f-body T56 today that scratched 3rd gear when removed, came with bellhousing, fresh LS7 clutch, slave cyl, and a stock hurst shifter for only $700!

lesson learned, just search for a while and eventually you can find a good deal
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM

I know this is old but I have a few questions about swaping the ctsv trans and swaping tail shaft
Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LS123

Ok I know this is a old thread I'm resurrecting but I'm doing a ls swap with a cts-v t56 and i have questions and maybe a answer or two as well. First from my limited knowledge of this tranny it uses the forward shifter location just has the funky rear mounted shifter from the factory. I recently purchased a Core-shifter shifter that mounts in the forward location so the shifter will be in a normal location in my Chevy II. I'm likely going with ls7 clutch components including the slave since these trans had the cts-v duel mass flywheel and i don't want to use a spacer. My questions regard the driveshaft setup. What is the proper setup using the flanged output?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by showdog75
Ok I know this is a old thread I'm resurrecting but I'm doing a ls swap with a cts-v t56 and i have questions and maybe a answer or two as well. First from my limited knowledge of this tranny it uses the forward shifter location just has the funky rear mounted shifter from the factory. I recently purchased a Core-shifter shifter that mounts in the forward location so the shifter will be in a normal location in my Chevy II. I'm likely going with ls7 clutch components including the slave since these trans had the cts-v duel mass flywheel and i don't want to use a spacer. My questions regard the driveshaft setup. What is the proper setup using the flanged output?
You need a driveshaft with slip joint in it like this one

I used a CTS-V T56 in my swap and just built my own remote shifter. Click the link below for details.

http://www.apiem.com/camaro/LS6PT320140929.asp

Quick Reply: Cts-v t56