LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rear end making noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end making noise

Hi I just had some Richmond 3.73 gears install in my trans am and its making a loud whining noise can somebody tell me why this is happening
Old 08-29-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles since install ? and who install it, shop or yourself ?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Teching In

100 and a guy I know that work on cars
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Whining usually means too much backlash.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

join the club
Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What he said. Deeper gears whine...
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it whines all the time?

does it do it mainly under acceleration?

does it whine more on the deceleration..

does it whine when your coasting with no load?

does the rearend have a faint buck to it when you decelerate?

if its doing it all the time, it could be either tight or loose.. generally someone will set up a gear loose more than they will tight though, as its easier to set the gear loose.. if you feel a slight buck when you let off the gas its way loose..

Richmond gears have a slight noise even when installed correctly. i've installed alot of richmond gears in the past, and nearly all of them had a faint whine to them,i wouldnt really call it a whine, more of a whirrr, i would just call it gear noise.. i have never had a set that i installed break or come back for a readjustment.. i've installed 3.55's to 6.20's..

Last edited by brucer; 08-29-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

lol gears only whine when there improperly installed.... i bet they blow up.... i have walked pinion;s and all from improper installed gears..... they should be quiet if the lash is correct. only people who have done this many times should do it. i drive my car hard and i dont want to break but it happens. a rear gear breaking can lock the rear up and put the car into a spin. Those gears are now worthless the sound will never go away now that the pattern is set
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

It do it all the time and I drove the car a 100 miles and haven't jump down but you saying the gear is worthless and the sound will never go away unless I get a brand new set
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Is the howl to the point where its sort of obnoxious or annoying? If that's the case then the gears just weren't set up right.

There's a few mistakes that could have been made.
The lash could be off, howling usually indicates the gears are too close together into mesh. Fairly easy fix with some patience and a dial indicator.
The other common mistake is that the pinion might not be preloaded enough (pinion nut is too loose). If this is the case than you'll get more howl on decceleration than anything else. This is because if the pinion isn't loaded up enough than its free to move slightly back and forth, which will cause the pinion gear to get sucked ever so slightly closer to mesh (because of how the teeth are shaped) creating the howl.

If its a faint consistent howl than thats normal for Richmond gears. I've run Richmonds before and no matter how perfect you get the lash and pinion depth they always have a faint howl to them.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ooooops I wish a read the thread a little more carefully.

Just relized that you've already driven on them for 100 miles.

This means the gears have already sort of "conformed" to each other at the current lash and pinion depth. If your lash isn't set right or your pinion nuts is too loose, than its too late to fix it, gotta get another set of gears and start over.

If this howl isn't obnoxious, then like I said before, its normal for Richmond gears to have a faint howl to them.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

call the guy that installed them asap and make sure he knows.. he'll probably want to look at it asap...

i dont think you've ruined the gears yet. if you havent been out banging gears and doing burnouts and driving it pretty fast for a long period of time, such as on a freeway or interstate, i think you'll be ok...

Quick Reply: rear end making noise