Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust removal advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust removal advice.

I'm installing poly motor mounts because I'm an idiot and didn't do it with my exhaust install about 2 years ago. I'm trying to get my headers separated from my y-pipe but the bastard is on there and don't seem to be budging. I've used WD-40 to try and take care of the rust spots that were hidden by the band clamps but that's not really helping. I'm thinking a rubber mallet and just smack the **** out of it but I've got to get one first. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Also, I'm in the process of using ratchet straps but it doesn't seem to be working. Where can you buy fluid film?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

i would use a BFH and a nice size 2X4 instead of a rubber mallet. let is soak in some PB Blaster for a day or two while spraying more on, that stuff works wonders that WD40 cant IMO. i would try to aim in the center of the merge so both sides get and even amount of pressure off other wise you will be fighting one side over the other
Old 08-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by doublea87
i would use a BFH and a nice size 2X4 instead of a rubber mallet. let is soak in some PB Blaster for a day or two while spraying more on, that stuff works wonders that WD40 cant IMO. i would try to aim in the center of the merge so both sides get and even amount of pressure off other wise you will be fighting one side over the other
Yea, I tried the center to no avail. I've got 2 on now, one on each bend. I was hoping to have this crap done today since it's a dd but I guess not. I went and got a mallet and some pb blaster so wish me luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Ok, I've now got 2 ratchet straps, one on each bend in the Y, a **** load of PB Blaster, a rubber mallet, and a 2x4. It's finally starting to make some movement, very little at a time but it is moving. The 2x4 WAS the key. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the pipes from seizing together for future reference?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the collectors up with a wire brush before you put the exhaust back on. Some guys use high-temp anti-seize on the collectors, which is supposed to help some.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Element
Clean the collectors up with a wire brush before you put the exhaust back on. Some guys use high-temp anti-seize on the collectors, which is supposed to help some.
Thanks dude. I'm getting the egr/air provisions cut off these ******* too. I'm done cursing at useless connections every time I bust my knuckles on them.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Anti- seize

Use a product called Fel-Pro N-1000 anti-seize, It's used to assemble nuclear steam turbines. Good for any high temperance high pressure application. Available from McMaster-Carr.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

just get underneath the Ypipe,manhandle it and shake it like a red headed step child.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
Ok, I've now got 2 ratchet straps, one on each bend in the Y, a **** load of PB Blaster, a rubber mallet, and a 2x4. It's finally starting to make some movement, very little at a time but it is moving. The 2x4 WAS the key. Is there anything that can be done to prevent the pipes from seizing together for future reference?
glad i could be of assistance high temp anit-seize is the way to go!