Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 clutch enguagment issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls7 clutch enguagment issues

i have an ls7 clutch kit i just put in and i took it out 4 times this past week due to the fact that with wont enguage. i changed the master/ slave and throwout bearing still not enguageing i was told i can adjust the presure plate by pressing it but dont know how
can someone help me with this issue
thanks again
Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something's wrong, that clutch has been a direct bolt-in for me and many others here. Don't adjust the pressure plate yet.

Can you describe in more detail what you're seeing when it doesn't engage? Engine revs but the car doesn't move? Won't shift into gear w/ the engine running?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

i step on clutch very firm (very well bleed) try to get it in gear wont go in. car off i put the gear on first step on clutch then crank car dumps wont enguage... dont know whats wrong its crazy.... got me going insane thanks for the reply though hope you can help me
Old 08-30-2010, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem on my LS7 clutch install. Replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder, tried shimming the slave (undone) and all this to no avail. It ended up being bent fingers on the pressure plate. Took it right back the the shop and got a new one under manufacturer defect warranty and installed that one. Worked perfectly after this. Make sure none of the fingers look out of whack and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

one of the forks are a little off 2 has no gap and one has a gap and i bought this on ebay
Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

This is an issue of release rather than engagement. Remember, when you depress the pedal the clutch release and in this instance you are pressing the pedal but the clutch will not release allowing you to shift. The LS7 clutch uses an SAC-type pressure-plate and this ratcheting mechanism can miss-adjust leading to issue of release. Do you have the parts out of the car now? Can you post some pics or even email them to me. I will be happy to assess them and let you know what I see. Is this a new clutch kit or has it been previously used/installed?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flipsta510fazn
i step on clutch very firm (very well bleed) try to get it in gear wont go in. car off i put the gear on first step on clutch then crank car dumps wont enguage... dont know whats wrong its crazy.... got me going insane thanks for the reply though hope you can help me
Your description and terms don't help much...the clutch isn't releasing, it engages just fine.

Originally Posted by flipsta510fazn
one of the forks are a little off 2 has no gap and one has a gap and i bought this on ebay
There are no fork components in an LS7 clutch, sounds like you're describing the fingers of the diaphragm spring. Sounds like it's damaged but as SPEC mentioned pictures would be helpful.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

presure plate was bad got another ls7 presure plate get into gear with no problems thanks for all ya that helped!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I have a very similar problem. I just installed an new LS7 clutch on my 2002 ls1/t56 combo. It was shifting just fine for 200 miles. Then one day it wouldn't go into gear very easily with the engine on. Eventually, it wouldn't go into gear at all. I bled the clutch. It will shift very smoothly but only when the engine is off. Once I turn the engine on, it will not shift into any gears, or if I left it in first on start up, it won't shift out of first when the engine is on. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Does this sound like the pressure plate?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed when I tightened down my pressure plate bolts, the fingers on the pressure plate got closer to the flywheel. Is this normal?
Would this affect clutch engagement? Seems like there isn't much more for the fingers to travel.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAD LUK
I noticed when I tightened down my pressure plate bolts, the fingers on the pressure plate got closer to the flywheel. Is this normal?
Would this affect clutch engagement? Seems like there isn't much more for the fingers to travel.
Yes, normal.

As you tighten the bolts, you draw the pressure plate fingers inward.

Quick Reply: ls7 clutch enguagment issues