LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Let's Talk Suspension: HiPer Strut

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Let's Talk Suspension: HiPer Strut

OFN for sure, but according to Autoblog, the purpose is to "almost completely eliminate torque steer."

Originally Posted by Autoblog
The whole setup is designed to be substituted in place of the conventional strut without changing mounting points.
This is good news as it means we should be able to perform retrofits.

I would just hope that GMPP (GM Performance Parts) comes out with W-body conversion kits. If only just to make the process all the easier.

Last edited by GXP25; 09-12-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Changed image source and size.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

For those uninterested in reading the entire article:

Originally Posted by Autoblog
Our drive loop for the 2010 model with the HiPer strut front suspension consisted of a road with a great combination of curves and undulations. On the first straight section we did a wide open throttle launch and the car took off straight and true without even a wiggle in the steering wheel. Further on down the road through some flat curves the LaCrosse tracked exactly where it was pointed and the steering provided much improved feedback compared to the last example we drove. Federico and his team have done an admirable job of tuning the electric power assisted steering on all versions of the LaCrosse so that the weighting is just right and there are no dead spots.

When we put the gas down at the apex, the LaCrosse just pulled itself out of the corner and shot on to the next one without any drama whatsoever. The steering unwound itself smoothly and kept tracking as the car picked up speed. Where the new suspension really showed off its newfound prowess was when we crested a hill right at the apex of a corner. The suspension went from fully unloaded to fully compressed as the car landed and continued to turn in with little more than a chirp of the tires. The LaCrosse exhibited no undesirable behavior and never jerked around even when the stability control briefly kicked in.
I'd gladly give up my front Bilsteins for this entire combination. Unless Bilstein comes up with HiPer Strut compatible strut.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Epsilon II and W-body share pretty much nothing, and I doubt GM would invest capital into something that few people would take the time to do.

Perhaps one of the LS1Tech sponsors might be able to look into this.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Epsilon II and W-body share pretty much nothing, and I doubt GM would invest capital into something that few people would take the time to do.

Perhaps one of the LS1Tech sponsors might be able to look into this.
Lol have you ever looked (whether in real life or on paper) at our suspension?

We have a MacPherson front suspension. According to GM, the new system uses the same body attachment points. I'd be willing to bet that these could bolt right on, if not be made to work with moderate adjustments.

From the service manual on "strut assembly replacement" (2005 Grand Prix):

Higher resolution: http://i56.tinypic.com/i73nn7.gif

Front passenger side of the new LaCrosse (with HiPer Strut):

Higher resolution: http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...6/100_7382.jpg

Even if the Epsilon II's LCAs do not fit, I am sure there's a way we can continue to use our LCAs and adapt them to mount onto the HiPer Strut assembly.

Last edited by GXP25; 09-12-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Changed from IMG tag to URL tag and resized pics.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The pics need to be resized. They are huge to even see correctly.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Guz
The pics need to be resized. They are huge to even see correctly.
For some reason I assumed this forum had the resizing feature. I'll post links instead. Hopefully everyone's browser auto resizes.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks it was a little hard to look at the pics
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heh, did links and resized pics.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

This would be very nice. But the sad news is the control arm attachement points are totally different. Both forward and aft. This just isnt going to fit our cars.

Cheers
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS4_DeltaV
This would be very nice. But the sad news is the control arm attachement points are totally different. Both forward and aft. This just isnt going to fit our cars.

Cheers
That's why I mentioned using our LCAs and getting them fit to the bottom of the entire HiPer strut and yoke assembly. Worst case scenario, custom control arms?

EDIT: Btw, I saw your latest "Sunday drive" video and I am sure you could use some torque steer control.

Last edited by GXP25; 09-12-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added some more info.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXP25
That's why I mentioned using our LCAs and getting them fit to the bottom of the entire HiPer strut and yoke assembly. Worst case scenario, custom control arms?

Give it a shot.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

6 speed first. Then I'll probably move on to this.

I might branch out to some of the suspension companies to spark interest.

I just feel these are quite the "godsend" in the torque steer department. The big, no huge, plus is that they're intended for direct MacPherson strut assembly replacement.

Ford uses a similar design (RevoKnuckle) which is fitted to the 300hp/324lb-ft of torque Focus RS.

BBDOS CV8 has some great information and insight on all this stuff if anyone wishes to read further: Buick LaCrosse CXS gets HiPer Strut Front Suspension
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GXP25
Lol have you ever looked (whether in real life or on paper) at our suspension?

We have a MacPherson front suspension. According to GM, the new system uses the same body attachment points. I'd be willing to bet that these could bolt right on, if not be made to work with moderate adjustments.
Wasn't trying to **** on your idea, and yes, I'm aware that EPII still uses struts, however, there's no way GM uses the same hard points in the front-end that were locked-in 24+ years ago in an all-new design.

Now, where there's a will there's a way, and I'm sure it can be done on a "one off" basis, but I wonder if it will be worth the effort when all is said and done.

Now, when it comes to the 6-speed tranny, I'm with you. There's no question that IT will be worth the effort!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Wasn't trying to **** on your idea, and yes, I'm aware that EPII still uses struts, however, there's no way GM uses the same hard points in the front-end that were locked-in 24+ years ago in an all-new design.

Now, where there's a will there's a way, and I'm sure it can be done on a "one off" basis, but I wonder if it will be worth the effort when all is said and done.

Now, when it comes to the 6-speed tranny, I'm with you. There's no question that IT will be worth the effort!
ha 6-speed tranny on this engine would be sub 5 sec 0-60 stock
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

What 6-speeds could we fab to work?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I understand you weren't.

As for the hard points: I do not expect the strut towers to bolt up. But that's easy as all you'd have to do is change out the strut tower mounts.

I've already discussed the LCAs (Lower Control Arms) issue: Either use our existing LCAs and attach (or make slight modifications) them to the bottom of the new HiPer strut assembly or get custom LCAs for our vehicle to fit/lineup to the new HiPer strut assembly.

I think the elimination of [the majority of the] torque steer is well worth the effort to me.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS4_DeltaV

Cheers
After another look, yes, the LCAs will obviously not fit. Custom LCAs are the only way. We need a pair that will attach to our front and rear mounting points yet cater to the new "unique" HiPer Strut mounting point.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a company to make them considering the advantages and the vast number of W-bodies out there.

HiPer Strut LCA:

97-03 Grand Prix LCA:

Here's a driver front view (04-08 Grand Prix). Check out the front LCA mount on the left:

Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

This would be well worth the time and cost. I will volunteer to be first!!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI for the Impala and Monte Carlo owners, I upgraded my front struts to the Grand Prix Bilstein units and sway bar. They fit perfectly even with my lower springs. Needed to do this for the Cartuning Turbo kits down pipe/wastegate. Easy swap, just need the struts, sway bar, sway bar bushings, end links, and bolt them in.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think it could be worth it depending on how much money it would be to do

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Suspension: HiPer Strut