Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trans-Maro part 2 My Camaro-to-Trans Am front end conversion plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans-Maro part 2 My Camaro-to-Trans Am front end conversion plan

UPDATE: Picked Up My Roller Tonight, gonna get started this weekend.

transmaro version 2

thanks to the advice of quite a few of you, I'm going to be picking up a roller camaro to use as my second donor car, as opposed to buying all of the parts separate.

The new plan, is to use the camaro roller as my base car. I'm going to swap over the entire drivetrain/suspension/interior from the trans am into the camaro. The entire rear portion of the car (quarter panels back) will be the camaro's body, while the entire front end will come from my Trans Am. The door skins will have to be custom worked to make the front flow with the rear, which will be the hardest part of the body work.

Appearance Mods that I'll be doing as well include: Shaved:antenna/side markers/rear keyhole, SS spoiler, and i'll probably be using gfx, but a different combination than what was on the original transmaro car, I'll probably use factory RS gfx in the rear, with factory t/a side skirts so that it all flows good. though i might skip the gfx all together and just do the CME, it'll depend on how the body's flow together. Full targa top conversion comes early next year.

Performance/Suspension mods (not much) I'm planning to do ceramic coated Pacesetter LT headers/ H-pipe/ with a custom true dual exhaust set up, torque converter, small cam, SFC's, etc. Already has springs/shocks

and a paint job to pull it all together at the end.

To anyone wondering Why I'm doing this, in short, because i want to. I personally do not like the rear of the trans am, it wasn't designed all that great in my opinion. So with this mind set, I've never fully cared for the car appearance wise, which I'm all about... although i love the front end.

I originally just wanted to sell my t/a and get another LS1 camaro, since i love a well put-together camaro, no matter how popluar they may be here, and i had the whole car planned out had i got it, cme, sunoco, rpm 505, custom front bumper, lots of shaved stuff, Blue Granite Metallic paint from the new GM line, etc, I had it ALL planned out. But when it came to the value of my car vs. the price i'd have to pay to get a car i'd want (low mileage, good body/interior), i'd be out of 1500-2000+ to get another car. And at that point i'd be bored with a stock looking camaro, but wouldn't have money to do anything. So for a cheaper price, i just came up with the idea to do a full body conversion, which has now morphed into the plan of doing a half-n-half car.

so now you're up to speed.

soon, this will be no more...

Last edited by crimson_bird; 07-16-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a joke or have you just been mixing meds again ? I've had both, both have GREAT qualities, just enjoy what you have instead of don't have...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you want to convert your Trans-am into a camaro...

edit: doesn't having a car that never going to made again make your proud? That's why I got a LS1 TransAm There is never going to be another TransAm (we have the very best and fastest factory Firebirds) what you have is it. Just my 2cents.

Last edited by bj350hp; 10-07-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Is this a joke or have you just been mixing meds again ?

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I've had both, both have GREAT qualities, just enjoy what you have instead of don't have...
I figure, why not! it'd be a fun project, and the wrst that could happen is that i just put it all back together as the t/a

Originally Posted by bj350hp
you want to convert your Trans-am into a camaro...

Originally Posted by bj350hp
doesn't having a car that never going to made again make your proud? That's why I got a LS1 TransAm There is never going to be another TransAm (we have the very best and fastest factory Firebirds) what you have is it. Just my 2cents.
sure, it's nice having the last of the firebird's, but i could live without it. Not to mention the fact that i'd probably keep all of the parts as opposed to selling them, so if i ever really felt like going back. I'm even considering doing a TransMaro part 2 with the camaro back and firebird front (I love that car). Honestly, the one thing i don't like about the t/a is the rear, in fact, i pretty much hate looking at the rear of the car. the design does nothing for me really, the Camaro simply looks a lot better from the back to me. Where as I love, love, love the t/a front end, as much as i love the front end of a camaro with a nice grill/hood/light combo

but, we'll see how it goes. nothings set in stone yet.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crimson_bird

I figure, why not! it'd be a fun project, and the wrst that could happen is that i just put it all back together as the t/a

sure, it's nice having the last of the firebird's, but i could live without it. Not to mention the fact that i'd probably keep all of the parts as opposed to selling them, so if i ever really felt like going back. I'm even considering doing a TransMaro part 2 with the camaro back and firebird front (I love that car). Honestly, the one thing i don't like about the t/a is the rear, in fact, i pretty much hate looking at the rear of the car. the design does nothing for me really, the Camaro simply looks a lot better from the back to me.

but, we'll see how it goes. nothings set in stone yet.
Well if 6LE would make a Firehawk Iroc style rear spoiler for us TA guys it might make you like the rear of the Trans-Am better. Hint Hint again lol!!!!

But for me I love the way the Trans-Am looks from the rear.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went from a camaro to a TA for $500. I really think the TA is a lot nicer looking; I just bought a roller 97 ta and installed all my camaro drive train parts. Sold my camaro as a roller and paid a extra $500 for the TA. I am with the other guys the TA is nicer looking especially when comparing it to the 98-02 catfish camaro.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

I'll trade u my camaro for your trans am.. Straight across...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

I see ur in the bay.. Where at?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Veteran

^are you being serious, where are you, miles ?

im in vallejo

To be honest, i actually WANT to do this, just for the sake of doing it. It'll be fun. whenever i see big custom jobs (slammed_1500, McNord, etc) they always seem like really fun projects to be a part of. sure, everyone's not going to like what you do, but who gives a damn. I want to make the car the way I want it. the car will probably look like crap for a while during the process, but as long as i can drive it i'm okay with that. especially since it will end up looking exactly how i want, and i certainly have a lot of plans for it.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 10-07-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I will support the OPs opinion.

I am a former WS6 T/A owner (bought one brand new), but these days I really like the look of a Camaro better. I also agree with the OP that it mostly comes down to the apperance of the rear; the Camaro's rear looks better. As for the rest of each car, I'd call them equally good looking in my eyes; different, but equal.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

I love the looks of both the Camaro and the Trans Am. I think it would be fair to say that getting a roller would be a good option to your quest. I am still looking for a trans-camaro picture though..
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the Fresno area.. Pm me
Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I love the looks of both the Camaro and the Trans Am. I think it would be fair to say that getting a roller would be a good option to your quest. I am still looking for a trans-camaro picture though..
yeah I'm about to start looking for a roller, it'd make it a much easier swap.

never seen the TransMaro? i love that car, minus the spoiler and hatch

PICTURES, in process/final- https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...nsmaro-21.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bV4zj7tv0

my exact thoughts:

Originally Posted by rumblebox
i think it would look better with a regular hatch, SS spoiler and CME though. just my 2 cents. kudos for originality.
I'm seriously considering my own version of the transmaro. The hard part for me, as opposed to this car, is that he just had to swap the front, which is a job that'll take less than a day. For me, I'd be swapping the rear, which will be a lot harder, since so much will need to be cut out and welded back in.

just hit me though, this would be a nice time to do a widebody in the rear.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 10-21-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say your best bet is to buy a cheap roller as long as the structural integrity checks out and swap the drivetrain out from the T/A.

You could the keep the T/A roller or sell it depending on your situation.

Economically this would be cheaper than having a professional bodyshop to do the work for you of changing th rear.

Hacking up rear fenders on a perfect car is a nightmare IMO.

You could find a camaro roller even if the body panels are in terrible shape, you can use 6LE widebody kit and do some subtle changes of your preferences.

A camaro with a wide kit would look great with any direction you decide to go appearance wise.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 AM
TECH Veteran

okay, so now i'm looking at getting a roller camaro and swapping everything i want over. I've found a few good candidates.

just curious, what all is different/would need to be swapped: all suspension, engine/tranny. what about driveshaft, rearend, and other stuff under there. would that all need to be swapped too.

I figure with cash in hand these guys will take a lot lower than asking price, and i can resell a lot of the suff i don't want/need
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1985590682.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/1992790363.html

these are 2 i'm considering because of their price vs. what i'd get, I also found a couple true rollers/strictly parts cars. I figure with these cars, i could probably sell off enough parts, by the time i'm done i'll have made back most of the money i spent. actually, i think i'd probably make back all of the money, and possibly even more. At this time, i could also do the long tubes/full exhaust i've been putting off for so long, since it'd need to be pulled apart anyways.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 10-07-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your absolutely right, going the route of swapping your T/A into a roller camaro would probably leave you in the positive.

Those cars you posted are in decent shape but overpriced IMO.
When you swap the drivetrain, the interior would have to come apart anyway because of the wiring harness.

So I 'd say buy a more stripped/bare bones camaro to cut on the costs and swap over the T/A's interior also.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I'm gonna make a fe calls today and see if Incan pick up a roller.

The more I think about it the more I want to do at the time the engines out. Maybe a cam swap too.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

the telling part is when you said this:

that i can afford, and that isn't crap.

your project will require quite a bit of money to do right.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to your PM, my swap took me a weekend but I was taking my time, friends kept stopping by, wife kept bugging me, etc...Could be done in a couple hours of dedicated work.

Best bet is to find a parts car or someone swapping their front end for another and take everything thats on their car related to the front clip, brackets, bolts, bumper supports, etc.

Not sure on a TransAM nose to a Camaro, but when I did my LT1 clip to LS1 clip, everything lined up and I didnt have to drill any holes or custom make anything. Swap can be done with just a 7, 10, `3 mm socket and a screwdriver to pop the plastic tabs on the front bumper.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck on the build, think its cool someone has the guts to do this. I like the Trans Am rear ends and think a LS1 Camaro nose would look nice if you can pull it off.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with the TA rear and Camaro front. I think that will look good, it will make people look twice and scratch their head wondering what it is; the ss or aftermarket hood Is a must. Like you realize the roller is your best bet.

Quick Reply: Trans-Maro part 2 My Camaro-to-Trans Am front end conversion plan