Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a PowrMAF 103.5mm Mass Air Flow sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody using a PowrMAF 103.5mm Mass Air Flow sensor?

I was just browsing Tick, and:

Tick Performance now proudly offers the largest MAF available on the market which also boasts the lowest resistance of any MAF on the market! Made of Nylon 66 material, this impact resistant monster utilizes the stock LS7 or LS3 Hitachi MAF meter, and has a OEM style receiver for the o-ring gasket for a perfect seal. Marine grade stainless steel allen screws and washers come with this MAF, along with a plug-and-play harness that allows you to install this unit directly into your LS1 F-Body!
http://www.tick-performance.com/cata...induction/#maf

I've found some smatterings here and there mentioning the PowrMAF, but not too much info on it. I would think that if you're going to use a FAST 102/102 setup, this would be the best MAF to use to make sure there is no restriction.

However, a huge maf with no screen would make me worry about the stability of the air readings it takes. If I'm gonna run a MAF instead of going with a maf-less speed density setup, I'd want to be damn sure the maf is taking accurate readings.

Just in case you're wondering, I would not do this for a bolt-on only car. I'm preparing for a future head/cam swap by doing everything on the intake/exhaust side first.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I havn't used one just wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a 85mm truck maf on my car which was fine when I was running with a H/C setup. With the bigger cubes the maf ran out of calibration when we were tuning also the manifold was pulling vacum which we felt was of the restriction of the maf. I am seriously considering running mafless next year simply because the car ran much better without the maf when we were dialing in the tune. When I asked the tuner he said that the cats and maf aren't capable of adjusting for the amount of air and exhaust that the car is producing.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PowrMAF

I have the PowrMAF with a screen, I am in the process of tuning the MAF sometime within a week from now. So I am still in SD mode at the moment.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you install a screen to clean up the airflow, which inturn cleans up the signal for our PCM's.
there is tons of posts on HPTuners website in the forms section about 100mm+ MAF's and the difference the screen makes to signal.
f-bodys have a very short path to the throttle body, so... a nice clean signal will make tuning easier.

the only issue i can relay is the IAT sensor will be about 15% off, I believe HPTuners is already working on getting us this fix, and I have read that the beta version already has the ability to scale the IAT correctly.

lastly it is a GM MAF sensor, in a composite housing which includes the pigtail to adapt to almost every LSX based vehicle.

-Trev
Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent info, thank you. Where do you get a screen from though?

Report back on the luck you have with tuning it.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

MAF Cells

This is what I used, recommend you find a band saw to cut it with.
look around on the site, there is more, but this seem to work the best
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got a PM from cam:

"I decided to scale the MAF into my tune on Friday, Its been about 2 solid days now, the MAF is running great."
So I guess this MAF works fine, even though it's really big. Thanks for the help
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by X-ray
I just got a PM from cam:

So I guess this MAF works fine, even though it's really big. Thanks for the help

You will have to have a tune, this is a large MAF.

For the record I using a FTP 104mm lid, then PowrMAF w/screen, Fast 102mm TB, & Fast 102mm Intake, on a my little 346

Goodluck
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
You will have to have a tune, this is a large MAF.
Oh yes I know, you should tune for any MAF. I'd even tune a ported stock or descreened maf (although I would never descreen any MAF, and I will add a screen to this one)

For the record I using a FTP 104mm lid, then PowrMAF w/screen, Fast 102mm TB, & Fast 102mm Intake, on a my little 346

Goodluck
That is actually the exact setup I have in mind. The only thing I can't decide on is if I want to do those big ram airs like the chrs1313 or not. We'll need some good heads and a cam to take advantage of all that flow potential
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the PowrMAF with a screen,
How did you all attach the screen to the inside of the MAF? Looks like you can now buy a 100mm precut honeycomb screen: http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Plastic expoxy.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a PowrMaf 100mm with a 4 inch downtube on my 427 w/ FAST 102. I used one of these:

http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html

To be honest, I didn't notice any real difference. Ed Hutchings at VA Speed does my tuning and he didn't have any problems without it but I wanted to try it anyways. I took it out for a track day and it may stay out.

Just my $.02
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
How did you all attach the screen to the inside of the MAF? Looks like you can now buy a 100mm precut honeycomb screen: http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html
the screen is precut for a 100mm maf ID, actual Powrmaf = 103/102 mm ID--109/106 mm OD, so I choose to cut my own screen just incase. Shoot at $7.00 each you can buy both.

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I run a PowrMaf 100mm with a 4 inch downtube on my 427 w/ FAST 102. I used one of these:

http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html

To be honest, I didn't notice any real difference. Ed Hutchings at VA Speed does my tuning and he didn't have any problems without it but I wanted to try it anyways. I took it out for a track day and it may stay out.

Just my $.02
You may not notice any difference but the the PCM does! nice and smooth MAF signal is best, I have logged without the screen on my maf and its a rough/jagged signal.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does anybody know if this maf has the built in iat sensor like the trucks? im looking into buying one
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
does anybody know if this maf has the built in iat sensor like the trucks? im looking into buying one

YES!!! Its a 5 wire MAF, 3 wires for the MAF & 2 wires for IAT sensor.
I stated a warning when using IAT in post #4 that when using this MAF the IAT temp will be about 15% off.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were youse I wouldn't use the in-MAF IAT anyway;
anywhere underhood the heatsoak is a nuisance. A
thermistor with the right curve would set you back a
buck or two at Digi-Key and you can put it wherever
you want.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If I were youse I wouldn't use the in-MAF IAT anyway;
anywhere underhood the heatsoak is a nuisance. A
thermistor with the right curve would set you back a
buck or two at Digi-Key and you can put it wherever
you want.
Sorry to dig this up from the grave. I'm looking at a PowrMAF for my Magnachargered Silverado since I'm going to a 90MM J-Tube and LS3 TB. Quick question, do I have to use the in-MAT IAT sensor or can I run the IAT somewhere else?
Sorry for the rookie question, just trying to sort all of this out. I've decided I'd like to stick with a MAF since it's my DD, just trying to sort out what's my best bet.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried about all the permutations and am happiest with the IAT up in
the cowl air vent where it reads outside air. Though this would probably
be the wrong idea for a boosted speed density car, it makes a good deal
of sense for a cold air NA setup especially at the big end, and let trimming
deal with any low end error.

Quick Reply: Anybody using a PowrMAF 103.5mm Mass Air Flow sensor?