Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter headers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter headers!

Well just wanted to say thanks to TSP for the fast delivery on the Pacesetter headers, i recieved them in 2 days. I also want to say that i really was impressed with the quality of these headers. I Would recommend these to anyone. Now i just hope the install goes smooth. I also wanted everyones opinion on what i should do for a ORY. Should i go with the pacesetter ORY and just modify whatever needs to be or should i do true duals or maybe go with another ORY?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redls1z28
I also wanted everyones opinion on what i should do for a ORY. Should i go with the pacesetter ORY and just modify whatever needs to be or should i do true duals or maybe go with another ORY?
Cool, glad to see you like them, I'm considering them as well. You got the coated ones I assume?
I would be undecided on Y pipes as well, I don't think I'd want true duals right now but I would consider the Mufflex ORY pipe with the Flowmaster merge collector maybe, it is more money than the Pacesetter/Jet Hot/Hooker types but should make more power as well. Tough call.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can i order that mufflex ORY from? Will it fit without any modifications?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:01 AM
STF Veteran

I also wanted everyones opinion on what i should do for a ORY. Should i go with the pacesetter ORY and just modify whatever needs to be or should i do true duals or maybe go with another ORY?
Just be ready to modify your ORY if you get a Pacesetter ORY. They pretty well suck. Just my .02
Old 01-30-2004, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Just got mine in two days as well...thanks TSP! They are really high quality for the money. Go with true duals...I am going up to Dallas manana to Lane's...
Old 01-30-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TwoKSS
Just got mine in two days as well...thanks TSP! They are really high quality for the money. Go with true duals...I am going up to Dallas manana to Lane's...
sending you a PM
Old 01-30-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Just be ready to modify your ORY if you get a Pacesetter ORY. They pretty well suck. Just my .02
That's for sure! Look what was in the flow path coming from my driver side:
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/pacecoll.jpg
Old 01-30-2004, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Where can i order that mufflex ORY from? Will it fit without any modifications?
www.mufflex-performance.com or take a look over on QTPs (Quick Time Performance, a sponsor of this board) site, they sell one identical to it that also fits their excellent headers as well...I would also like to verify that this Y pipe fits the Pacesetters.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

mufflex's site was not helpful at all, no detials about a y-pipe unless i am blind. As far as QTP I cant see paying $600 for a y-pipe that will bolt up to a pair of $300-$400 headers, but that is just me.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
mufflex's site was not helpful at all, no detials about a y-pipe unless i am blind. As far as QTP I cant see paying $600 for a y-pipe that will bolt up to a pair of $300-$400 headers, but that is just me.
Yeah Mufflex's site is kind of weak as far as pics go but they do have it...I thought the one QTP sells is around $300.00 (ORY) not $600.00?
Still not cheap but it has that better merge collector that could free up some noticeable power over the cheapie Pacesetter/Hooker type Y pipes.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

I've posted this before but here is my fix for the Pace Setter Y pipe. Still has that crushed drivers side. but at least the collector is free flowing now.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/psypipe.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/flocoll.jpg
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

nice work larry, given your experience would you do pacesetter again? Or just have spent a few bucks more and had a perfect header/no custom crap?

I think i would have been better off with some headers that actually fit well like hookers/ory. Just my experience.

Maybe not all pacesetters are alike. Some folks have no problems? QA issues?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samz28
nice work larry, given your experience would you do pacesetter again? Or just have spent a few bucks more and had a perfect header/no custom crap?

I think i would have been better off with some headers that actually fit well like hookers/ory. Just my experience.

my anwser to that question would be there is no "perfect" header...
1. pacesetter-shitty ypipe, minor clearance issues ie kmemeber, drivers side header to floorpan
2. Kooks-shitty ypipe design with no true collector
3. SLP's-hang to low for some lowered cars and their flanged collectors make for a good snagging tool for speed bumps
4. Hooker & Jethot- shitty ypipe design with no true collector
5. QTP/FLP/PPC- high priced high end headers with the fewest problems but you also pay a pretty penny $1200+ for a cat foward exhaust is a little much for me especially considering i think some of those systems use a 2 1/2in ypipe design if im not mistaken

the only true anwser is to buy LT's of your choice and do a true dual setup IMO

lata
Bill
Old 01-30-2004, 07:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
my anwser to that question would be there is no "perfect" header...
1. pacesetter-shitty ypipe, minor clearance issues ie kmemeber, drivers side header to floorpan
2. Kooks-shitty ypipe design with no true collector
3. SLP's-hang to low for some lowered cars and their flanged collectors make for a good snagging tool for speed bumps
4. Hooker & Jethot- shitty ypipe design with no true collector
5. QTP/FLP/PPC- high priced high end headers with the fewest problems but you also pay a pretty penny $1200+ for a cat foward exhaust is a little much for me especially considering i think some of those systems use a 2 1/2in ypipe design if im not mistaken

the only true anwser is to buy LT's of your choice and do a true dual setup IMO

lata
Bill

or you can just get the pacesetters and have a custom Y fabed up for the best clearance and use a flowmaster merge collector and your existing catback.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrp

or you can just get the pacesetters and have a custom Y fabed up for the best clearance and use a flowmaster merge collector and your existing catback.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by samz28

I think Bill said it the way it is. Nobody makes a set that doesn't need some modification. We just have to buy the set we feel has the least modification required with what we feel is the best buy. I don't know whether I would by Pace Setter again or not. The header itself looks like it should flow very well. Had they just make it longer to eliminate the need to crush the Y pipe.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Yeah Mufflex's site is kind of weak as far as pics go but they do have it...I thought the one QTP sells is around $300.00 (ORY) not $600.00?
Still not cheap but it has that better merge collector that could free up some noticeable power over the cheapie Pacesetter/Hooker type Y pipes.
There are only two y-pipes listed I believe for Hooker designed headers on QTP's website, one has cats I believe and the other has some kind of cutout setup on it i dont know but the cutout one was listed for $599. I'll look again though, maybe I missed something somewhere.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

There are only two y-pipes listed I believe for Hooker designed headers on QTP's website, one has cats I believe and the other has some kind of cutout setup on it i dont know but the cutout one was listed for $599. I'll look again though, maybe I missed something somewhere.
LS1Y3RT713 3" Off Road Y Pipe with Random Tech Metallic 713000 Cats $850.00
LS1Y3 3" QTP Off Road Y Pipe $310.00
LS1Y3C QTP 3" Off Road QTEC Y Pipe Includes 2 Quick Time Electric Cutouts, Wiring and Switch $600.00
Old 01-30-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jrp
LS1Y3RT713 3" Off Road Y Pipe with Random Tech Metallic 713000 Cats $850.00
LS1Y3 3" QTP Off Road Y Pipe $310.00
LS1Y3C QTP 3" Off Road QTEC Y Pipe Includes 2 Quick Time Electric Cutouts, Wiring and Switch $600.00
Yeah i saw that $310 one but it is listed with the QTP headers, not under "y-pipes for Hooker Headers"
Old 01-30-2004, 09:13 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Yeah i saw that $310 one but it is listed with the QTP headers, not under "y-pipes for Hooker Headers"
barry from qtp said there Y fits qtp, jet hots, hooker, and pacesetters. now if thats true or no :dunno:

but now that you mention it, it didnt occur to me they made more then one Y so you might be right.