Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surface rust on coated pacesetters????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface rust on coated pacesetters????

Is anyone else having this problem? My headers are about 5 months old and are already getting little rust spots all over the place. I thought the coating was supposed to stop rust. I would have bought the cheaper uncoated ones had I known this in advance. Oh well. They were still very cheap. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

chrome polish or mothers will prolly rub that off if its surface rust on the coating.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JHarmon
I would have bought the cheaper uncoated ones had I known this in advance.
That's what I was thinking about doing because every coated header I've ever seen rusts anyway. I might just get non coated headers and spray the crap out of them with high temp paint and put the extra money saved towards a better Y pipe.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get stainless nextime it will never rust and makes a few more ponys

george
Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Airborn rust particles is what you are seeing,and as far spraying with high-temp paint, your wasting your time
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZSLP
and as far spraying with high-temp paint, your wasting your time
Yeah true. But the car is garage kept, almost no rain and certainly no snow/salt so I'm just hoping for the best if I go that route.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting, was wondering how the pacesetters would hold up in the long run? what batch to you have? could just be an initial problem but only time will tell. there have been people who've had hookesr and jet hots rust so dont think its just pacesetters related.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
there have been people who've had hookesr and jet hots rust so dont think its just pacesetters related.
Very true...I'm starting to think that this sterling/coating thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
And even quality stainless will show some slight surface rust but that is still the only way to go if you're concerned about real rust.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Very true...I'm starting to think that this sterling/coating thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.
And even quality stainless will show some slight surface rust but that is still the only way to go if you're concerned about real rust.
ya, if you live in a region where your car see's serious winters i think its worth it to spring for the stainless steel. for regions like cali , where weather is of no concern pretty much any header will be fine; uncoated, coated, or stainless steel.

though i did see a pair of slp long tubes on ebay a while back for cheap that had rust problems and there stainless steel and coated, so nothing is immune to nature.