Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My fix for Pace Setter Y pipe (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My fix for Pace Setter Y pipe (pic)

Here's a pic of final modifications to my Pace Setter Y pipe. This pipe should flow enough to run 10s easily.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/y_pipefix.jpg

I had my local muffler shop make an S bend which drops the pipe a measured 1.03 inches. It is not mandrel bent, however, a 2 1/2" tennis ball will roll through it with only a slight hang-up vrtically. Plenty of width horizontally. Should flow much more than a 2 1/2" tube.

With the S bend made I then borrowed a tube expander from Auto Zone. I opened the drivers side pipe to eliminate the crushed portion. I have a 3" (non-crushed) pipe on both sides now. I used a band clamp on the drivers side only to help with removal. I'll install one on the passenger side when time comes to remove it.

I have already made posts showing the Flowmaster collector. The tennis ball rolls right through it so it plenty big.

Can't see my cutout very well in this pic but I have a 3 1/2 cutout off my 3 1/2" Flowmaster collector.

The joints in this pic are before welding. I have since had them seal welded. I used muffler clamps to crimp each joint to hold while driving down to the muffler shop for welding.

The sound sure has improved with these Pace Setter long tubes verses my old Macs. Very happy with my exhaust system now. I hope all this time and effort pays off at the track.

Last edited by Larry; 02-03-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Flowmaster collector's a nice piece. Nice job!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice! Doesnt hang down low at all.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98SS Blackattack
Very nice! Doesnt hang down low at all.
I could have tucked it a little higher if I were a little better exhaust man. I have one place where I didn't get it quite centered in the web on the car just right so it's lower than what it could be. But it's tucked up pretty good. I have no less than 3/4" clearance which is probably a little more than necessary as well.

I would rather have less clearance than loss flow/hp because the pipe was crushed.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good larry. but with all the work you put into it you were better off just not buying it in the first place and getting a custom Y
Old 02-03-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
looks good larry. but with all the work you put into it you were better off just not buying it in the first place and getting a custom Y
This is essentially what I have. A custom Y pipe. A custom may have cost more however. I spent about $40 for the collector, $30 in welding costs, $3 for that S bend and did all the install myself. I had the mandrel bends going into the collector left over from my SLP Dual/Dual piping. The shop was going to give me that S bend but I gave them $3 bucks. They used a piece of scrap 3" tubing and spent 5 minutes making it.

If I had it to do over the Mufflex along with my S bend would be a lot easier way to go. But much more expensive.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:27 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry
This is essentially what I have. A custom Y pipe. A custom may have cost more however. I spent about $40 for the collector, $30 in welding costs, $3 for that S bend and did all the install myself. I had the mandrel bends going into the collector left over from my SLP Dual/Dual piping. The shop was going to give me that S bend but I gave them $3 bucks. They used a piece of scrap 3" tubing and spent 5 minutes making it.

If I had it to do over the Mufflex along with my S bend would be a lot easier way to go. But much more expensive.
but those cost are already on top of the 125 bucks you spent for the pace ORY in the first place.

what kinda band clamp is that? i need to pick some up to connect my jet hots to my duals
Old 02-03-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
but those cost are already on top of the 125 bucks you spent for the pace ORY in the first place.

what kinda band clamp is that? i need to pick some up to connect my jet hots to my duals
Yes, in addition to the cost of the Y pipe.

My clamp is a stainless steel Walker part number 33278. They are $8.50 from Summit.