Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great coolant fan switch adapter - lousy price

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Great coolant fan switch adapter - lousy price

Since I am going carbureted, I needed a place to put my 3/8" fan switch. We all know how small the coolant sensor hole is in the LSX heads so, the 3/8" fan switch will not fit. In looking for a place to mount my coolant fan switch I found this adapter by Howell. Tidy solution but one lousy price. $35 for a brass fitting? Really?

http://www.howellefi.com/customer/fa...h-adaptor.html
Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Jegs/Summitt sells a alluminum upper radiator hose coupler that is tap'd for a temp sensor;
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

How handy are you? I needed a place to put my stock sensor for the temp gauge when I did my RX7. The $35 fitting wasn't even an option at the time. I got a 12mm lug bolt. Put it in a drill press and drilled it all the way through with a small drill, then a bigger drill down the length of the lug head. Then tapped it for the stock sensor. The tapered lug bolt seats nicely against the head without any sealer or gasket. Worked like a charm.

Andrew
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-approach.html
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Old School Heavy

That is pretty slick. However, I am just not a big fan of custom items that may need to be replaced. I would hate to be in the situation of having one of these sensor/switches die in a pinch and then not be able to replace it without making a custom piece. For wear items or items that could fail with time, I want to be able to go the auto parts store and buy a replacement.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Drill and tap the top of the wp..
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
That is pretty slick. However, I am just not a big fan of custom items that may need to be replaced. I would hate to be in the situation of having one of these sensor/switches die in a pinch and then not be able to replace it without making a custom piece. For wear items or items that could fail with time, I want to be able to go the auto parts store and buy a replacement.
In this case, do you really think an auto parts store is going to have the Howell adapter? Maybe you should invest $70 and order 2 of the brass fittings and have one as your back-up.

Mike
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my swap in a 92 Chevy truck I drilled out the hole in the back of the passenger side head. It has a plug init from the factory and you just pull it out, drill and tap with a pipe thread tap and you should be fine. It worked great for me, I used it to put the original temp sender from the truck in
Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Mike52
In this case, do you really think an auto parts store is going to have the Howell adapter? Maybe you should invest $70 and order 2 of the brass fittings and have one as your back-up.

Mike
I think you missed my point Mike. A switch is a wear part. Or, more specifically, an item that can fail. An adapter is not a wear part. It is a solid piece of brass. But, now they want $6 shipping on top of the price of this adapter. I just can't justify $41 for a damn brass fitting.

Originally Posted by grif54
When I did my swap in a 92 Chevy truck I drilled out the hole in the back of the passenger side head. It has a plug init from the factory and you just pull it out, drill and tap with a pipe thread tap and you should be fine. It worked great for me, I used it to put the original temp sender from the truck in
I considered this, but I can't figure out how to keep all the aluminum shavings out of the cooling passages.

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Drill and tap the top of the wp..
You know, I think I am going to do this. I did not want to modify any wearable parts, but this particular solution just seems to be the easiest and make the most sense. I can do this easily and for free.

Last edited by speedtigger; 12-06-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess you figured out how to keep the aluminum shavings out of the cooling passages.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
Guess you figured out how to keep the aluminum shavings out of the cooling passages.
I would rather have it in the head where it belongs, but since the water pump is off the motor and far easier to clean out, it is just a simpler solution.

Quick Reply: Great coolant fan switch adapter - lousy price