Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what size fuse and wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what size fuse and wire

i currently have a 760w sony amp with a 60amp fuse right off my battery, i just a bought a 900w rockford amp that i am goint to add...what size fuse do i need running off the battery to be able to connect both amps with a total of 1660watts??my other question is can i use 4gauge power cable, then split it and run 8 gauge to my amps??
Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, Im going to make ALOT of assumptions because I dont know the full details on your amps (Class A/D, peak power vs average power, etc).

I am going to assume that those amp ratings are peak for both amps, and Im going to assume they are both Class A amplifiers, so if they are not, ignore this, post back and I will redo this for ya.

I would place a 100 amp fuse straight off the battery with 4 gauge wire, and then run that all the way back to the amps. From there I would break off into 6 gauge wires, and put a 40 amp fuse on the wire going to the Sony and a 45 amp fuse on the wire going to the Rockford; however, if the amps themselves have different fuses on the actual amp, then use that exact same size instead of those I suggested.

Example: I said use a 45 amp fuse on the Rockford wire...if your Rockford amp has 2 25 amp fuses on the actual amp, then use a 50 on the 8 gauge wire instead of my suggested 45.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Also! Make sure you dont exceed the fuse sizes of the manufacturer's specs.

Last edited by SidewayzOZ; 02-05-2004 at 09:20 PM. Reason: comment at end
Old 02-05-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I assume both those numbers are peak seeing as Sony and Rockford make some pretty outrages power claims. So lets say your Rockford amp is making 450 watts and your Sony is making 375 you have a total power of your system is 825 watts. I assume you are already running 4 gauge wire for your Sony amp. So change out your old 60 amp fuse with a 80 amp fuse. And see how it runs. If you notice your amps running extremely hot or shutting off you will probably need to upgrade to 2 gauge wire. I dont believe in fused distribution blocks for a system of your level of power. Just use a regular 4 gauge in 8 gauge out distribution block and use some 8 gauge wire but try to keep the 8 gauge wire runs under 10 feet.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would agree with Madboost, except another option than going to a 2 gauge wire would be to put a Stiffining cap close to your amps. That will also help with not killing your Alternator.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

the sony has a 40amp fuse built in and the rockford has a 30amp fuse built in...doesnt make sense with the rockford having more total power, but at the same time the sony has a higher rms rating...hmm...any input??
Old 02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PewterNHRA2001
the sony has a 40amp fuse built in and the rockford has a 30amp fuse built in...doesnt make sense with the rockford having more total power, but at the same time the sony has a higher rms rating...hmm...any input??
Fuses dont always mean power rating its just what the manufacter uses. I have a Eclipse 4 channel amp that does 85 watts X 4 and it has 4 25 amp fuses. Do you currently have 5 gauge wire run?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maddboost
I dont believe in fused distribution blocks for a system of your level of power.
How come?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
How come?
Whats the point? The only reason I would recomend it is for high wattage systems that are over 2000 watts RMS. With that level of power your running alot more voltage and are limited on what kind of fuses you can run. Just blowing money with his setup that at maximum will pull 1000 watts at best.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I can agree with that...but fuses are quite cheap, and I figured I would tell me how to properly set it up in case he wanted to do that

Quick Reply: what size fuse and wire